Is it even worth it for an individual to sell unwanted household items on Ebay from Canada?

I have a number of good items I would like to sell but after reading some of the posts in this forum I question whether its worth it.

After all the shipping costs and my labour to package things up and ship I may be giving the stuff away. Not to mention the shipping cost if tracking is included.

Most items I would sell would be valued between $10-$50 ea but a few things $50-$500 CDN.

Is there a guide somewhere  that would clue me in to whether this would be worthwhile? Seems there is a lot of wisdom in

these forums but its scattered everywhere.

There used to be a local business here that would sell it all for you and take a commission but they are gone now.

Obviously it wasn't worth it for them either.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is it even worth it for an individual to sell unwanted household items on Ebay from Canada?

@sea4trade wrote:

... After all the shipping costs and my labour to package things up and ship I may be giving the stuff away. Not to mention the shipping cost if tracking is included.

Most items I would sell would be valued between $10-$50 ea but a few things $50-$500 CDN.

* If listing on eBay.CA you can use calculated shipping. If the buyer really wants the item they will pay for the shipping. If you buy Canada Post Expedited Parcel through PayPal you get a discount and it includes tracking and $100 insurance in the price. But you will need scales to measure weight (the Starfrit scale at Cdn Tire when on sale is a good deal for under 5kg measures), and a good ruler/measuring tape -- needed so you can supply accurate measurements for eBay's shipping calculator when you list.

* You can also make your eBay listing pick-up only if you want to avoid the hassle of shipping.

* Research your items, do a search for them on eBay and see what people are asking for them -- some things are just not worth selling online.

* You get 50 free listings per month -- so you have some room to experiment.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Buyers pay shipping so that choice is up to them unless you include free shipping within Canada in your item cost, for example, in which case that postage starts at $10 to $18 for the smallest item and varies depending on its destination. (The latter estimate would be for a remote or rural community in a location furthest away from you.) It costs the same amount of money to mail something 125 g as it does 600 g and you get a discount using paypal shipping. That's good for 18 per cent under counter rate if you use Expedited Parcel within Canada. Oversize lettermail must be purchased at the postal counter. You cannot purchase a label for that via Paypal Shipping.

You can sell anything on ebay but the question is how long you are prepared to wait to sell it. If you list it for 99 cents at auction, it will likely sell for 99 cents within the time period you've selected as your auction duration. If you list it for $40 Buy It Now (BIN) it will likely sell for that but it might take three years. 

Shipping is complicated but describing items well is also very important, using lots of photos you have taken yourself. Be very clear about the condition of the item if it is used. 

These are some link you might find useful about shipping: 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp#1378311 and

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=R%C2%A0

You will find as you go that ebay Canada Community members are good resources for whatever questions that you have so come back whenever you feel you need direction. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

... Oversize lettermail must be purchased at the postal counter. You cannot purchase a label for that via Paypal Shipping.

While you can't purchase oversize lettermail via paypal -- you don't have to go to the postal counter -- you can just add the required postage using stamps and drop it off in a mailbox.

-..-

Oversize lettermail, same cost anywhere in Canada, no tracking, no insurance, package must be under 2cm thick.

Canada - Lettermail 2014/2015/2016 stamp rates
000-030g .. 0.85
031-050g .. 1.20
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

-..-

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I suppose that's true but I don't leave anything in a mailbox. Fewer Items Not Received that way for me.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I suppose that's true but I don't leave anything in a mailbox. Fewer Items Not Received that way for me.

I usually drop them off at the postal outlet -- but from time to time I do use the mailbox that's a half block from me since the location makes it an unlikely theft target and I really do need to exercise more....

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@sea4trade wrote:

I have a number of good items I would like to sell but after reading some of the posts in this forum I question whether its worth it.

After all the shipping costs and my labour to package things up and ship I may be giving the stuff away. Not to mention the shipping cost if tracking is included.

Is there a guide somewhere  that would clue me in to whether this would be worthwhile?

You are your own guide.  No one can tell you what is or is not worthwhile to you.  I have heard of people who sell on eBay and do it as a hobby so it sometimes ends up costing them money.  Or maybe that is more myth and legend than modern reality. 

Tracking is expensive as you know.  In that case, use it only where a buyer will pay it and you are not willing to risk having to refund the buyer's payment if they say it never arrived.  If you are selling a small cheap item for 9.99 not many people are going to pay $14 for shipping.  Therefore you "self insure".  Add a little bit extra to the price of all your items and set it aside as "insurance" for that time when you have to make a payout. 

On higher priced items you have to get a signature confirmation.  I think the value is $850 CDN but I forget offhand, they keep changing it.  You can get a signature on items valued a lot lower than that.  If I am sending a parcel and there is something about it all that gives me "that feeling", I pay for signature confirmation myself.  It is also better than postal insurance because when a signature is required the postal worker won't leave it on the door step.  Porch theft happens. 

If you are selling things from around your house then your "wholesale cost" is zero meaning that any amount you take in after your fees are paid is pure profit.  Only you can decide if it is worth listing and selling or if you would rather donate it to a thrift store. 

I found this other thread topic for you.  This person asked the same sort of question and you might find it interesting

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Tipping-Point-for-Profit/m-p/354418#U354418

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

You can't sell stuff valued at $10-$15 over 2cm thick being postage and fees will exceed that to sell it.  Even quite a bit more it doens't work out very well, the fees are enormous if there is a high ratio of postage cost to item value.  Unless its virtually certain to sell, there can be a lot of time involved in listings things for nothing too.  Start with the more expensive stuff and see how it goes.  Lower priced items that are light and less then 2cm thick work out a bit better

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@sea4trade wrote:

It's always hard to know what to say to this sort of question without knowing more details, but here are a few factors that may help you decide: 

1)  How much time per day do you have to devote to creating and monitoring listings, and packing/shipping items sold?  Individual listings can take longer than you think to prepare properly, including time spent photographing the items properly.  If your time is limited, focus on higher-priced items that are in reasonable demand on eBay. 

2)  If time isn't an issue, start by listing a variety of higher and lower-priced items, and see which sell best and are easiest and cheapest for you to ship.  You will find that the best lower-priced items are those that will fit into a maximum 38x27x2cm bubble envelope (#4 envelope).  Those can go by lettermail within Canada and Light Packet to the U.S. at relatively reasonable rates (without tracking).  Use tracking selectively -- it's not necessary or even wise for most items of lower value.  I find Light and Small Packet to the U.S. is almost as fast as domestic letter-mail. 

You'll also soon find out whether your main market is in the U.S. or Canada.  Frankly, I'd stick with just those two countries, at least at first.  That's probably the best advice I could give anyone starting to sell here.   

3)  Are your items breakable, perishable, or subject to other sorts of damage or thievery in transit?  Those will be more of a challenge to ship at reasonable cost.  If so, start with the items of mid- to high-range value, on which you can justify tracking (and insurance if necessary).

4)  Are you selling only personal goods, i.e. items you originally bought for your own use?  If so, you will likely not need to declare the income for items valued under $1,000.  This is one advantage to "cleaning out the attic", as opposed to actually running a business.  Check the CRA site or an accountant for details, as things may change for 2017 now that we have a new government. 

5)  Have you done some research on eBay to determine what demand exists for your type of items?  Check sellers of similar items and see how much they are selling, and at what prices (look at their FB received, and at "Sold Listings", which you can get to by clicking on "Items for Sale", then scrolling down the left panel of options).  This will give you some idea of whether it's worth your time and effort, and how much you can expect to sell in what sort of time frame. 

6) As others have mentioned, when you have a specific question, come back to the boards to get input beforehand.  It's so much easier to avoid a potential problem on eBay than to try to fix a transaction that's gone wrong, or avoid a defect after the fact.  

The bottom line: it can be worth it if you can balance your time input with money earned over a reasonable period, and keep shipping challenges within bounds.  

Best of luck! 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

* If listing on eBay.CA you can use calculated shipping. If the buyer really wants the item they will pay for the shipping. If you buy Canada Post Expedited Parcel through PayPal you get a discount and it includes tracking and $100 insurance in the price. But you will need scales to measure weight (the Starfrit scale at Cdn Tire when on sale is a good deal for under 5kg measures), and a good ruler/measuring tape -- needed so you can supply accurate measurements for eBay's shipping calculator when you list.

* You can also make your eBay listing pick-up only if you want to avoid the hassle of shipping.

* Research your items, do a search for them on eBay and see what people are asking for them -- some things are just not worth selling online.

* You get 50 free listings per month -- so you have some room to experiment.

I agree with most of these suggestions, although I don't know whether calculated shipping is easier to manage than flat rate.  The advantages of flat rate are that the seller has direct control over shipping charges, and those charges remain the same until manually changed (if that's what you prefer).  

I would also mention, as obvious as it may be, that if the OP decides to list with pick-up only, it's important to stipulate a neutral, safe place for the transaction -- in our town, it's the Town Hall/Police Station.  

The one big problem with local pick-up is that people will often waste your time (and gasoline) by saying they'll show up and then never bothering to do so.  Or show up and then change their minds once they see the item.  I personally think shipping is less hassle and expense than accommodating personal pick-up, but that's just been my experience. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply