Is there a limit on the number of seperate INR Claims a Buyer can file through ebay and PayPal?

I hope someone can help me make sense of this quickly going south Transaction.

I am having an issue (dance) with a Buyer who is now stating that ebay /PayPal told them that they could not file an INR but to tell me to make a refund to them for the amount of the Transaction. I did not just fall of the Turnip Truck, been on ebay a while now.

This is an International sale to the UK with combined shipping for three items with a total items value of approximately $25 Canadian. Not a huge amount and probably within the Buyers personal Import exemption? Package was sent Light Packet which always seems to be ignored by Customs and sails right through to Buyer. Never had a problem and UK usually takes less then two weeks. This is now six weeks and Buyer was the one that suggested waiting until this past Wednesday to begin the claim with ebay. (Interestingly every Message from them included a reference to making a claim.)

For the life of me I cannot figure out why this Buyer is all of a sudden avoiding filing the Claim.

With ebay's new rules I have no reason not to want them to file the INR. I will get three Defects whether they file or I use the refund option in PayPal. And I am certainly not stupid enough to refund other than properly which is why I am asking the question. 

This Buyer is also a Seller (small but bigger than me) so has a relationship with ebay. They should know about Defects and how they work and should know that what they are saying is oh so not correct.

Your input is greatly appreciated 🙂

old.crows.nest (aka imageelf of bygone days 🙂 )

imageelf
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Is there a limit on the number of seperate INR Claims a Buyer can file through ebay and PayPal?

"...stating that ebay /PayPal told them that they could not file an INR but to tell me to make a refund to them for the amount of the Transaction"

Is the transaction older than 45 days?  Could that be the reason why eBay/PayPal suggested the buyer should ask for a refund directly?

If that is the case, and the buyer has been in touch with you regularly and has not received the parcel, it is your responsibility to refund the amount of the transaction. 

In this specific case, it will cost you about $1 but I suggest you make a direct payment through PayPal instead of using the "refund" function.  You do not get your original PayPal fees (about $1) refunded but you avoid the "defaults".  It is too late to get a refund of eBay's FVF.

They should know about Defects

The rules are different in the UK.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Apparently ebay does keep track of how many cases a buyer files although I don't know if they follow up on it or not.

The UK import is 15 pounds which is just under $27Cdn. It is based on the item's value plus shipping so technically they would have had to pay VAT and a handling fee. But I have no idea if they worry about small amounts like that.

Before the defect system I am guessing that if a reasonable amount of time had passed and the buyer said they hadn't received the items that you would refund without question. I've noticed in a lot of cases that this defect system has caused sellers to think that they are going to get a defect regardless so they don't handle things in the same way that they would have in the past.

I just read Pierre's post and that might be the way to go. I'm not sure what I would do.

I did have a quick look at the UK site and it looks as if their defect system is very close or even identical to ours.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It is too late to get a refund of eBay's FVF.

You can 60 days to cancel a transaction and get back your fvf.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

I had thought about the 45 day limit too because the Buyer had suggested delaying filing till this last Wednesday which would have been very close to that deadline. Because of this I went looking and things sure have changed. I could find no reference for 45 days but what I found was, that for International purchases, ebay recommends the Buyer should wait 30 days past the expected delivery date to file. Calculating in my head this means now they cannot file until 45 days or sometimes longer depending on the destination. Besides PayPal is still 60 days (soon to be 180 days) so it is not logical that PayPal would tell them to tell me what they supposedly did.

As side note: I had already offered to make a refund earlier, as soon as they filed a claim, which is when they counter-offered to wait longer.

imageelf
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

eBay may have changed the rules.

My understanding was 45 days as per  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/credits.html

What's the situation?  You and the buyer agreed to cancel a transaction

How can you start the process to get a credit? 

1. If the buyer paid you already, issue the buyer a refund.

2. Contact the buyer and let them know you're canceling the transaction.

3. Next, cancel the transaction in the Resolution Center.

When can this happen? Anytime after the listing ends, up to 45 days after the sale

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hi PJ,

Thanks for your replies 🙂

Things have changed and I greatly appreciate your time spent looking up the information for me.

My gut has been telling me that the Buyer is stalling and that what happened is that they refused the package because of unexpected customs charges. When I asked about that they totally avoided discussion on it. Instead they would only comment on my shipping method. I think it is possible that they know if they refuse to pick up they are not entitled to a refund. They may even know I will be stuck paying to have it returned to me. Obviously I would refund for the items but not the postage if that were the case.

imageelf
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You're right, I was looking at the time limit to close the case.

You need to close your case within 60 days of the transaction. On the 61st day after the end of the transaction, if you haven't closed your case, it will be automatically closed by eBay and you will not receive a final value fee credit.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

eBay may have changed the rules.

My understanding was 45 days as per  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/credits.html

What's the situation?  You and the buyer agreed to cancel a transaction

How can you start the process to get a credit? 

1. If the buyer paid you already, issue the buyer a refund.

2. Contact the buyer and let them know you're canceling the transaction.

3. Next, cancel the transaction in the Resolution Center.

When can this happen? Anytime after the listing ends, up to 45 days after the sale

Thanks for looking up the information Pierre.

Very much appreciated as I went in circles trying to find any reference to 45 days in the help files.

imageelf
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You're right, I was looking at the time limit to close the case.

You need to close your case within 60 days of the transaction. On the 61st day after the end of the transaction, if you haven't closed your case, it will be automatically closed by eBay and you will not receive a final value fee credit.

But the Buyer first needs to open one 😞

So ebay now advises Buyer to wait to file and if they delay long enough before filing a claim Seller will not get their FVF refunded. Typical of ebay to find away to not have to refund Sellers their FVF Smiley Mad

imageelf
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Well, just finished a CHAT with UK support and apparently they only allow 30 days to file a claim. I tried to get them to commit to whether or not that was 30 days from estimated Delivery Date. They also didn't want to commit to what that meant for International purchases.

On a side note I have to say what a Country to be a Seller in. They basically wondered why I cared about refunding the Buyer. It was like to bad so sad the Buyer missed the deadline.

imageelf
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

But just like the U.S., the buyer has a longer time to file a  claim with Paypal.  In the UK it is up to 180 days.

Open a Dispute within 45 days (or, if you are claiming as a registered UK resident user of PayPal, 180 days)of the date on which you made the payment for the purchase you would like to dispute.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But just like the U.S., the buyer has a longer time to file a  claim with Paypal.  In the UK it is up to 180 days.

Open a Dispute within 45 days (or, if you are claiming as a registered UK resident user of PayPal, 180 days)of the date on which you made the payment for the purchase you would like to dispute.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

Thank you for finding a link to the information 🙂

I really do not understand this Buyer's motivations beyond that they just disclosed that they were aware of the ebay 30 day limit and appear to have deliberately done things to sabotage meeting the claim deadline. They also refuse to acknowledge that they would still be able to file with PayPal. 

They have frustrated me to the point of my just following the previous advice given here and I have issued them their Refund through the PayPal transaction. It just felt that they were capable of further stonewalling me into missing the 60 day Seller Refund deadline.

imageelf
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

Well, just finished a CHAT with UK support and apparently they only allow 30 days to file a claim. I tried to get them to commit to whether or not that was 30 days from estimated Delivery Date. They also didn't want to commit to what that meant for International purchases.

On a side note I have to say what a Country to be a Seller in. They basically wondered why I cared about refunding the Buyer. It was like to bad so sad the Buyer missed the deadline.

That is from date of purchase. eBay does not the technology to keep track of millions of parcels, bought date, paid date, mailing date, delivery date, etc.

Paypal told me, senior manager, her mouth to my ears in person: "One claim per transaction".

Sounds like you have someone dodging for what ever reason. Dodge back.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@old.crows.nest wrote:

That is from date of purchase. eBay does not the technology to keep track of millions of parcels, bought date, paid date, mailing date, delivery date, etc.

Paypal told me, senior manager, her mouth to my ears in person: "One claim per transaction".

Sounds like you have someone dodging for what ever reason. Dodge back.

Thanks mr.elmwood  🙂

I hope I dodged something by still being able to use the PayPal Refund button. I think doing this will stop any CC charge back on top of an out of transaction refund.

imageelf
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

It all depends what buyer protection is used. Here is the ebay.com USA eBay Money Back Guarantee

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

A buyer can report in My eBay that they didn't receive an item once the item's latest estimated delivery date has passed, and for 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date.

If the listing gives an estimated date. Here is an explanation of Latest estimated delivery date

When we have no information about the actual delivery date, we use the latest estimated delivery date. When we have no estimated delivery information, we consider the latest estimated delivery date to be 7 days from payment date for transactions between a buyer and seller in the same country, and 30 days from the payment date for buyers and sellers in different countries.

eBay UK has similar policy for eBay Money Back Guarantee

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

It all depends what buyer protection is used. Here is the ebay.com USA eBay Money Back Guarantee

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

A buyer can report in My eBay that they didn't receive an item once the item's latest estimated delivery date has passed, and for 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date.

If the listing gives an estimated date. Here is an explanation of Latest estimated delivery date

When we have no information about the actual delivery date, we use the latest estimated delivery date. When we have no estimated delivery information, we consider the latest estimated delivery date to be 7 days from payment date for transactions between a buyer and seller in the same country, and 30 days from the payment date for buyers and sellers in different countries.

eBay UK has similar policy for eBay Money Back Guarantee

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Thank you so much pocomo for your time in researching and posting the information.

This Thread is full of loads of great information. I sure hope it will be helpful to others in the future 🙂

imageelf
Message 17 of 17
latest reply