Item Not Received: incorrect address

Hi,

I understand that eBay customer service is limited in what they can do. I've tried to contact previous eBay Canada Community Manager Kalvin but he is not working in eBay anymore.

Here is my situation.

2 days ago a customer opens a case "Item not received". He put a comment saying that he has provided wrong shipping address. He admitted that it is not my fault and that address provided to me was incorrect. 

So actually he even wasn't aware that he opened a case. The guy just wanted to contact me but as far as I understand he got into that flow of opening case. Thank you eBay for unintentional traps.

I sell low margin items and use LetterMail shipping. Customer service asks for tracking number. It doesn't matter if address provided by customer was incorrect and customer admits it.

I have issued full refund, reshipped today his items and punished for nothing.

I believe that customer service representative would help me if she can. They are really nice. I believe that if customer service tells something is impossible to fix that means it is impossible for them to fix. I have experience of having my issue fixed though it was initially impossible. Thanks to Kalvin.

Guys I'll appreciate any advice on this and if you can help me to find the current eBay Canada Community Manager that will be really great.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Something similar to this has happened to me several times. I have had a buyer open a case, then realized they were contacting the wrong buyer with the wrong package, result-Defect.

Another forgot i had combined 2 items and was waiting for a second package, opened case, result-Defect, she even called eBay and explained, but as there was no tracking # the defect stood.

Another thought she has received the wrong book, same result as the others, she then realized that the pattern she wanted was in the book after all.

I wish I could give advice, I too sell mostly low cost items and mail by letter mail, no one is going to pay $5,99 for a book and $14 for tracked package. In each of the above cases I did nothing wrong, but have been penalized. No matter how careful I am, there is no way to avoid mistakes by buyers.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for your time triber. I was expecting that. Do you know who is current eBay Canada Community Manager?

Honestly I hope one day there will be a legal organization which will not be connected to eBay and for small monthly fee will provide legal support. You need money to buy your rights.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, I don't know who is the Canadian Community manager. I have sent a couple of emails, one who used to be with Canada, now in the US, but I have had no replies.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

"who is current eBay Canada Community Manager? "

The position has been vacant for quite some time and I understand current budget restrictions at eBay.ca mean no replacement is in sight.  Smiley Sad 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I had a buyer open a DNR last night.

Buyer provided address had wrong street name of Ephram Street, Kitchener, Ontario.

Ephram Street doesn't exist in Kitchener, Ontario.

Ephraim Street is in Kitchener, Ontario, and is probably the correct street name.

I haven't received a reply from the buyer and probably never will.

Maybe she received the package, maybe she didn't. That would be the carrier's discretion.

I shouldn't have to investigate every address I ship to, or message customers to review and verify their address before I ship.

I have done this several times previously before shipping. It's tedious. Some don't even reply.

The onus should be on the buyer to provide the correct shipping address.

But eBay has a blanket, black and white policy regarding DNR: Customer didn't get it - Pay up.

So I will pay up, and hope I get the package back via return address which is correct and also present.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't think that one letter missing in a street name has anything to do with an item not being delivered.  If the postal code was correct, I'm sure the postman would know where the package was going.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You might be able to appeal the defect on the basis of the incorrect address, but really the postal code sorts the item to the correct postal walk, and the posties can read and figure out a minor difference like a missing letter.

It might be worth a try, but keep in mind-- your time is worth 18 cents a minute at minimum wage, how much time do you want to spend on a lost package.

I would suggest that with the refund you make a polite request that WHEN the package turns up the buyer return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hi,

The interesting thing that CanadaPost told customer that it will not be delivered to his address and they provided another address. Yes postal code is the same. And the package has been returned to me.

femmefan1946, is issuing full refund saves me from defect? My main concern is not money but defect rate.

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

femmefan1946, is issuing full refund saves me from defect? My main concern is not money but defect rate.

I'm not femme but no, a full refund will not save you from a defect. As soon as an inr case is file you receive the defect. If you have delivery confirmation proving that the buyer received the item then you could phone and get the defect taken off. I think also that if you had delivery confirmation showing that it was a wrong address then you could also get the defect taken off. If the buyer admitted in an ebay message that the wrong address was given, you could try to get the defect removed but there is no guarantee.

The interesting thing that CanadaPost told customer that it will not be delivered to his address and they provided another address.

I'm curious what you mean by that. CP won't deliver it because the street name is wrong by one letter? That doesn't sound right.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just noticed that my 2 defect rates for "Item not received" are cleared though I called them only once and they told me that they can't remove it without tracking information. Not sure maybe they restored some data and will reapply those defect rates.

The issue with address is not just one letter issue. Initially customer has provided regular address but CP told him that he needs to provide PO address. And customer didn't want to open a case, he just wanted to communicate with me.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The interesting thing that CanadaPost told customer that it will not be delivered to his address and they provided another address.

I'm curious what you mean by that. CP won't deliver it because the street name is wrong by one letter? That doesn't sound right.

It is my practice to believe that hearsay is probably misheard and mis-said.

In this case that Canada Post said no such thing and the buyer reported what he thought would get him a refund.

But I am old and cynical.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply