Item arrived damage to the buyer but is working

Hello,

It's the first time that happen to me that I send an items to a buyer and it got damage in the shipping... The client contacted me to report it and sent me photos of the box and the item. I asked him if it still work and it's working... How should proceed to make him happy even if it's working. It's a Alpine Subwoofer. Should I refund a part of it... Refund shipping ...

Thank you for your help

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I think that depends on the amount of damage and if it is visible when installed, or makes installation difficult.  You did specify free shipping on that, so how could you refund shipping?  If this had happened to you, how much would it take to make you feel whole again?  That is your objective with your buyer.  That, and avoiding a defect, which you would get if the buyer opened an Item Not As Described case, which he can.  Without knowing any specifics about the extent of the damage and your interaction with the buyer, it is difficult to offer a viable solution.  Has the buyer indicated that he wants to keep and use the subwoofer?  Have you asked him whether he wants to keep it and have a partial refund, or if he would like to return it and get another?  Could you provide another?  Is it worth paying return shipping if he doesn't want it?  Are you willing to offer a substantial refund in order to keep him happy and avoid an eBay defect?

Another point - was the parcel insured?  If it was sent Canada Post Tracked or Expedited, $100 insurance is included.  You can ask the buyer to keep the packaging, and make a claim with the carrier.  However, that is separate from satisfying your customer.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hi World-infin!

When I have situations like this, I suggest they have lots of options like returning or to "save us both time and effort" a partial refund is an option as well.

If they go for the partial refund I always leave it up to the buyer to decide what they think a fair refund is, that creates a bit of risk that they will be unfair. My rule is if they are fair all is well, if they are unfair, I block them from buying again.

Below is a link to my "form letters" I use for neutrals/negatives, but you can cut and paste the parts that might work for you.

A sentence you might want to include is " If you would prefer to go the partial refund route, I would look for your help to identify the appropriate refund amount given the issues you've identified"

In my (stamp collectors) world, I have found that buyers are usually quite reasonable, but the odd time not, so you'll have to balance the risk of putting the decision making in their hands.

Here is the link, feel free to use whatever wordings work for you...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Neutral-Negative-ratings-or-threats-thereof-the-form-lett... 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Since the buyer is unhappy enough to have not only asked for remediation but to have supplied pictures of the damage, yes, you should make him whole by offering a partial refund.

But.

While the damage is your responsibility, since you chose the shipper, it is not your fault.

Was your parcel big enough to ship by parcel post?

Was the service one of those that included insurance against loss or damage in transit?

If so, using the customer's pictures, ask the shipper (Canada Post?) to pay up on the damage. Personally, I have had the most success dealing with Canada Post customer service by phone.

If you want to start in person, go to a post OFFICE not a postal outlet and ask for the postmaster. She should be able to guide your claim.

But deal with your customer first. You know what the actual shipping cost was. Just because it was included in the asking price doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply