Item not received

mcrlmn
Community Member

I woke up this morning, Friday, Sep 16, 2016, to an Item not received 'request'.

EBay's estimated delivery Friday, Aug 26, 2016 - Friday, Sep 16, 2016

I realize this is splitting hairs, but the final date for delivery hasn't passed, yet the buyer was able to open this eBay request?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item not received

I just spoke to customer service.

I was told this was a technical hiccup, and the request never should have been opened until Sept 17, but will remain in effect.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Item not received

it still should not have been allowed until the date has passed, so basically 12.01 tonight. i would still be asking ebay why it was allowed to be opened, what happens next time .. 2-3 days early??

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@mcrlmn wrote:

I woke up this morning, Friday, Sep 16, 2016, to an Item not received 'request'.

EBay's estimated delivery Friday, Aug 26, 2016 - Friday, Sep 16, 2016

I realize this is splitting hairs, but the final date for delivery hasn't passed, yet the buyer was able to open this eBay request?

I think what you've run into is because eBay's time is counted by the minute. So you get a disconnect when converted to days -- the delivery range never says what time zone the estimate is based on (your location or the buyers or ebay HQ).

When enabling the request it should check to see if the last day has passed, but I'll bet the eBay computer makes the decision based on the minute from time of sale (if not tracked).

-..-

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

Vancouver is PST, and I did consider that possibility.
But Sept 16 doesn't end until 9 PM (21.00) PST; which would be 12 AM EST.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

What is the exact time of day it was listed? If listed at 10:15 am PST it would end on 10: 15 am PST today. That is what is meant by the exact minute from time it was listed. It would be a full last day today.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@pocomocomputing wrote:

What is the exact time of day it was listed? If listed at 10:15 am PST it would end on 10: 15 am PST today. That is what is meant by the exact minute from time it was listed. It would be a full last day today.

It really shouldn't have anything to do with when it was listed, but when sold.

But hey, this eBay, where the Canadian/US exchange rate for fees is baked in at time of listing.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

It really shouldn't have anything to do with when it was listed, but when sold.

But hey, this eBay, where the Canadian/US exchange rate for fees is baked in at time of listing.

Sorry I meant time sold! My apologies!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

That's my best conclusion also.

Sept 16 is Sept 16 all day  in my book, until Sept 17.

Buyer must have been chomping at the bit waiting to jump on this one.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

Sold Aug 22, 2016 , 8:34 EDT
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

I just spoke to customer service.

I was told this was a technical hiccup, and the request never should have been opened until Sept 17, but will remain in effect.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@mcrlmn wrote:

That's my best conclusion also.

Sept 16 is Sept 16 all day  in my book, until Sept 17.

Buyer must have been chomping at the bit waiting to jump on this one.

Did you get NO contact at all from the buyer first or did they just spring it on you?  Its really too bad that there isn't a preventive mechanism where they couldn't file a claim until they contact the seller first and the seller has time to reply, like 2 days or something.  

If its that $1 bill and if you scanned the actual item with serial number you can always wait to see if it shows up for sale.  It won't change the outcome but at least you'll know.  

Did you REPORT THE BUYER for abusing the eBay Money Back Guarantee?  If every single seller who gets scammed by that buyer reports them it may eventually make a difference.  

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

There was absolutely no prior contact, and the buyer didn't respond to my message within the resolution process.

I refunded this morning. I'm thankful that it was small refund.

My so-called 'cookie jar insurance' comes from the profit from all the pocket change included in my listings, so $6 isn't a bad hit.

I consider myself lucky.

No serial numbers on the note:

UNC 1867-1967 CANADA ONE DOLLAR Centennial Banknote (152182889044)

Don't know what would qualify reporting the buyer, but did add to my blocklist.

I do note that all 4 INR claims I've had since 2014 were all apartment dwellers.

No offense to the many out there, but I'd rather ship to a PO Box...

And yes, I did live in a couple of apartments years ago.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

How were they abusing the Mbg?  Ebay gave them an estimated eta and they seem to think that date was set in stone.  They probably had the mail delivered that day already so knew that it wasn't going to arrive.  eBay allowed them to,open the claim on the last day rather than make them wait a day so I don't think they are abusing the policy.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

How were they abusing the Mbg?  Ebay gave them an estimated eta and they seem to think that date was set in stone.  They probably had the mail delivered that day already so knew that it wasn't going to arrive.  eBay allowed them to,open the claim on the last day rather than make them wait a day so I don't think they are abusing the policy.

You are free to excuse them as much as you like, but the OP has had too many INRs and I do not believe any of them are genuine.  The postal system does not fail THAT often.  If you want to believe the thief that is up to you.  

How are they abusing the MBG?  By stealing an item in which the seller "can't prove delivery (not shipping, delivery)".  

According to eBay's policy about this: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Not allowed

• Claiming you haven't received an item before the estimated delivery date has passed

• Claiming you haven't received an item when it has arrived

• Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description

• Opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case:

• When you have already received a refund from the seller or reimbursement from your payment provider

• When you haven't paid for an item.

• As retaliation against a seller following a previous dispute

• Threatening to open an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case against a seller in order to get a discount or additional goods and services, when the item arrived in the described condition

• A pattern of excessively opening eBay Money Back Guarantee requests or PayPal Purchase Protection cases

That is why I said to report the buyer but naturally it is up to the seller if they believe the claim or not.  I don't.  An honest person who was wondering what gives would send a message to the seller about "Where's my item?"  This buyer was just waiting for the time to pass so they could get it for free because the seller could not "prove delivery".  

If every time a buyer does that and they get reported it is the only way to shut them down.  Doing nothing means the buyer will do it again and again.  If the buyer was honest and this is that once in a blue moon when an item doesn't arrive then they have nothing to worry about.  A single rare report against them won't hurt them a bit.  Enough reports WILL eventually stop a thief.  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

Hasn't left me neg feedback ... Yet.
Got my fingers crossed.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@mcrlmn wrote:
Hasn't left me neg feedback ... Yet.
Got my fingers crossed.

They probably won't, not now that they got their free item.  What does the FB for others say?  I wish once a seller refunded that the FB option was automatically switched off.  Does your buyer linger around to kick people or are they more the grab & dash type?

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

The buyer is guilty of being impatient but buyers  often open an item not received claim without contacting the seller.  That in itself is not an indication that they are being dishonest.  I've had buyers do the same thing and when I've asked them to wait a few days to see if it arrives, they do wait and 99% of the time they send a message saying that the item has arrived or else I never hear from them again so I assume that they received it.   

One report isn't going to hurt a buyer but if every seller reports every buyer that they think might be dishonest without any proof......how long do you think that eBay will continue to pay attention to those reports?  It's sort of like crying wolf and in a situation like this, eBay already knows the buyer claimed inr so reporting doesn't give them any more information.  

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The buyer is guilty of being impatient but buyers  often open an item not received claim without contacting the seller.  That in itself is not an indication that they are being dishonest.  I've had buyers do the same thing and when I've asked them to wait a few days to see if it arrives, they do wait and 99% of the time they send a message saying that the item has arrived or else I never hear from them again so I assume that they received it.   

You make a good point, you always do, but I just don't see it that way.  The OP has had to refund too many claims and nothing on earth will ever convince me that they are anything other than scammers getting easy freebies because as buyers are told over and over, "If the seller can't prove delivery (not shipping, delivery)"  they can get a free item.  It's just too easy.  

It is true that a INR claim where there is no tracking does not prove the buyer is dishonest.  That's the whole problem with untracked items and why sellers need to report buyers who file claims, especially when those buyers don't even bother to contact the seller first and ask what gives.  That is why sellers have to refund, because there is never any proof anywhere.  Buyers can take advantage of this and the crooks will keep it up until they are stopped.  

If you want to see every INR claim on an untracked item as a merely impatient buyer, then go ahead.   I see it differently.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

One report isn't going to hurt a buyer but if every seller reports every buyer that they think might be dishonest without any proof......how long do you think that eBay will continue to pay attention to those reports?  It's sort of like crying wolf and in a situation like this, eBay already knows the buyer claimed inr so reporting doesn't give them any more information.  

Reporting is the only recourse a seller has when items are mailed without tracking.  Yes, every seller should report every  buyer they think is being dishonest.  If the claim is a one-off then eBay will see that the buyer rarely gets refunds and it won't hurt that buyer one bit.  But as the eBay policy says, buyers are not allowed to file too many claims and say items never arrived when they did.  

There is no "crying wolf" and eBay will continue to pay attention to those reports as long as it helps stop thieves.  I say we need to do everything possible, use every tool at our disposal, to halt scammers in their tracks if eBay is going to make stealing as easy as clicking to file a claim.  Reporting brings it to their attention where a filed claim alone might not be sufficient.  If your proposal is for sellers to suck it up, lie down and let scammers walk all over them because they don't use tracking then no, I will never accept that this is what sellers should do.  If YOU want to just live with it, there is nothing stopping you from just refunding and keeping silent.  

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  I don't see it as being any right answer, just what is right for each individual personally.  

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

it says right on the listing expected delivery in ** business days, however ebay counts calendar  days, saturday and sunday are not business days.. an item not received should not be allowed to bve opened until the business days have passed, not the calendar days period,  ebay even stated that delivery times may vary, but still allows inr to be opened right after the days expire.. so wrong.. another thing that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Item not received

"allows inr to be opened right after the days expire"

This one was opened before eBay's estimated delivery date expired.
I was told this was a "technical hiccup".
eBay rep stated the request never should have been opened until Sept 17
Message 20 of 20
latest reply