Late Delivery strike all ready!

Received a late delivery strike within 1-2 days after estimated delivery date all ready via. Economy Lettermail (2-6 business days) that was quick... things just keep getting better and better...

Buyer purchased and paid on Monday, Jan 25, 2016 

We shipped Tuesday Jan 26, 2016

eBays Estimated delivery Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 - Wednesday, Feb 3, 2016

changed all my letter mail items from Canadapost Lettermal (2 to 6 business days) to Economy Shipping (1 to 15 business days) on ebay.ca and added a day handling times.

Thanks again ebay! You guys are on a roll!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I already have 3 late delivery strikes.  What a stupid measurement. 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

Another great example of where a seller with an excellent reputation and offering great service tries to offer a more attractive, cost effective shipping option and gets dinged by the new US-centric program. If it is any consolation, I ran the economy shipping option for some of my Canadian options up until mid January and didn't encounter any late defects for Canadian orders since they started tracking them. At least with that change you should avoid the issue going forward.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I just got one from a buyer with over 12,000 feedback and been on Ebay for 16 years.

I guess the email I sent him after payment stating 7 to 14 business days does no good any more as he doesn't read.

I posted comments on feedback received as well as feedback left.

Ebay is working hard to have buyers make life even more miserable for sellers.

Maybe Raphael should start reading before making comments about this wonderful policy!!!!!

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Like many Canadian sellers, you do not like the new policy asking sellers if the item was received on time.  I get that.

However, you are shooting yourself in the foot when leaving feedback for buyers and responding to positive feedback from the same buyer with:

"doesn't read emails, left late shipping strikes, watch carefully"

What you are doing publicly is blaming your buyer who left positive feedback for the new policy at eBay. 

Not a good idea as it leaves a negative perception about you, not the buyer (nobody cares about buyer's feedback) or eBay  (buyers do not know about eBay's policies)

" left late shipping strikes"

The buyer did no such thing.  They simply answered a survey question asked by eBay about the shipping service.  Buyers do not mean that to be a "strike" against you, do they?

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

this sticks in my craw from a buyer with over 12,000 feedback

It's up to you to make sure eBay has reasonable dates for delivery

I am getting to the point that I don't care what people think. Ebay and buyers do not care, why should I. I may not do much on here after May any way as this BS is getting tiring and so are all the non answers on the chat boards.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

My shipping on the listing said varies, no dates so what dates is the buyer working with or is it just his personal opinion.

There is another thread ongoing about these exact issues.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

So you are mad at eBay for a badly planned policy.  I get that.

But why would you publicly blame a buyer, regardless how much feedback he has?  He was answering a question raised by eBay about delivery time. 

Unfortunately, your comments in feedback reflect on you, not eBay, not the buyer.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

"My shipping on the listing said varies,"

That is not what I saw.

To the USA I noted two different services offered, with different rates and specific number of days tor delivery.

C $7.50
United States
Standard Int'l Shipping

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment
C $12.50
United States
Canada Post Light Packet International

Estimated Delivery within 5-10 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment.
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I think it bears mentioning that whilst many of these rules, regulations and counts are and can be very frustrating, we have to find a way to keep our emotions out of the visible stuff we do as a seller.

Leaving a negative response to a positive unknown (because they're hidden to all the rest of us) buyer's feedback can only have a negative effect on the seller because a potential buyer looking at it sees only a negative response to a positive feedback from some unknown buyer.

If I were planning on purchasing something and I saw that response, it translates in my head to: "this guy will not deal well with any problems that arise" and if I had a choice, I would not purchase from that seller (I would purchase from a competitor, I would even actually pay more for the same thing from a competitor with better feedback practices). How it translates in my head is probably not anything like how you would actually respond if I came to you with a valid problem but I don't know that, I only infer there would be a problem from what I can see in the feedback.

Personally (despite what some folks like to say), I think we all get very frustrated and upset when stuff like this happens. At least I know I do. Keeping emotions out of what we do is very very hard to do, at least it is for me.

To help myself I have written up "form responses" to these things and I make myself stick to the form letters. Often I make myself leave the computer for a while so I don't go over-riding the form letter and writing what I very much would like to say instead! It is very very hard not to put emotional things into the responses especially when the issue the buyer raises or their actions are or seem to be very unfair. My form letters have been very helpful in the last couple years.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

My US listings say varied and my Canadian have dates.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I think it bears mentioning that whilst many of these rules, regulations and counts are and can be very frustrating, we have to find a way to keep our emotions out of the visible stuff we do as a seller.

Leaving a negative response to a positive unknown (because they're hidden to all the rest of us) buyer's feedback can only have a negative effect on the seller because a potential buyer looking at it sees only a negative response to a positive feedback from some unknown buyer. 

Couldn't agree more. With divisive policies that often lead to confrontation, it's easy to develop the mindset of getting even. However like you and Pierre mention that only sends a signal to potential buyers that you may be difficult to work with. You are far better off as a seller to immediately leave positive feedback once you ship an item. I find this sets out the buyer/seller relationship on a good foot and leads to far better customer retention.

If any issues arise, you can always respond to negative or neutral feedback with a simple factual reply without getting emotional. Any reasonable potential buyer would prefer to see that rather than read an argument. Any other issues can be dealt with via a quick (well usually!)  call to ebay if a buyer is clearly in the wrong. In fact I had a five minute phonecall this morning to quickly resolve an issue with a buyer situation where they had left feedback intended for another seller. It is now dealt with and nobody would know it happened. Problem solved.

The same goes for the confrontational tone I see in so many seller's listings. FINAL SALE! NO RETURNS! PAY IMMEDIATELY! etc etc. Some may think they are scaring off potential bad customers, but in reality you are scaring off the sort of reasonable buyers that may end up becoming repeat customers forming the core of your business. When your listing more closely resembles a series of traffic signs you have a problem...unless you sell automobile memorabilia!

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Ebay is a very buyer centric and seller punative venue.

I will be doing a whole lot less buying and selling on Ebay and realize that Ebay could care less, buyers could care less, sellers could care less, and posters could care less.

I have I don't know how many issues with active files open, and many questions on the chat boards that you never get answers to or issues resolved. I am glad you got one resolved of a totally different nature.

I am not emotional about these issues as I am very thick skinned. I would just like Ebay to step up to the plate and get a lot of issues resolved that they totally ignore. I am not the only one becoming more vocal about the issues at hand and really wish more would as well.

Many people are Ebay supporters and spokes people, I am not.

You are entitled to your opinions as am I.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

When I look at the listing for which you left a follow up, I see the same shipping information for the USA, whether I view the listing on eBay.ca or eBay.com

C $7.50
United States
Standard Int'l Shipping

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
C $12.50
United States
Canada Post Light Packet International

Estimated Delivery within 5-10 business days
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

What I list on .com shows varied, what I list on .ca has dates

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Post #7  "My shipping on the listing said varies, no dates so what dates is the buyer working with "

The listing for which you left a follow up blaming the buyer was listed on eBay.ca and. as such, shows dates.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

It may say varies to you when you look at the listing but you have to look at it from the location where the buyer is. I've noticed as well that when someone in Canada makes a purchase from an item listed on .com, the estimated delivery varies but it never varies for U.S. buyers.

If you look at the order details page before your buyer gets their item, you will see the date that ebay has given.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

My US listings say varied and my Canadian have dates.

I think the point here is that regardless of where your opinion lies in this case, in so far as what the problem is or where it originates, or what you think of the response posted, is that we would not be experiencing any of this if not for an absolutely ridiculous policy change by Ebay.

Pierre, when you say that you "get" that dutchman doesn't like the new policy "but",  anything that comes after the "but", no matter how well intentioned, sounds like you are condemning dutchman for his response to a somehow excusable (when nothing could be further from the truth) new policy implemented by Ebay. It sounds like you are defending this absurd, half-witted, moronic, new policy and supporting it over the actions of the unfortunate seller that has been burned by it.

There is no justifying this new policy. It is without any positive merit and nothing short of a quisling could/would  come to its defense. We are being held to delivery estimates that Canada Post will not even hold themselves responsible to. Ebay has to me tried to justify this change by saying that sellers asked for change so somehow we are responsible. What a load of malarkey. Did some sellers ask for change, well of course they/we did but this is not what anyone was looking for in any reasonable sense and Ebay's attempt to pin this on sellers, or to make some feeble venture towards promoting this as anything but the folly it is, smacks of spin and is just another slap in the face for the hard working sellers who are going to see their reputations go up in flames while trying to continue to deliver the best service they can.

Changing handling times or delivery methods to try and skirt the issue certainly are viable options I suppose but why on earth should we have to adapt in such a way. "Boy that new space age material that they are building firefighters gear out of these days sure is flammable but it's ok so long as you don't go near any open flames at all right!" Now doesn't that sound absolutely retarded, especially in its truth.

There will be many others aside from dutchman who will be leaving Ebay soon and it won't be because they aren't "selling what they know" or because "some things just aren't meant to be sold on Ebay" blah blah blah, I'm so sick of those moronic, and extremely tired responses that are thrown around every-time Ebay screws things up even further for sellers. Stating the obvious to and for many I would guess.

My 2 cents for today.

thD

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Pierre, when you say that you "get" that dutchman doesn't like the new policy "but",  anything that comes after the "but", no matter how well intentioned, sounds like you are condemning dutchman for his response to a somehow excusable (when nothing could be further from the truth) new policy implemented by Ebay. It sounds like you are defending this absurd, half-witted, moronic, new policy and supporting it over the actions of the unfortunate seller that has been burned by it.

I don't get the impression that Pierre is defending the policy at all.  I think that he is saying that the buyer has nothing to do with that policy and publicly scolding the buyer in the feedback reply isn't going to do anything other than cause bad feelings from the buyer. 

The question does not say...Did you get your item by xx date and if you mark no, the seller gets a strike against them.  It simply asks a question and the buyer answered it.  Why assume that the buyer realizes that it could cause a problem for the seller if he answers honestly?

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't get the impression that Pierre is defending the policy at all.  I think that he is saying that the buyer has nothing to do with that policy and publicly scolding the buyer in the feedback reply isn't going to do anything other than cause bad feelings from the buyer. 

The question does not say...Did you get your item by xx date and if you mark no, the seller gets a strike against them.  It simply asks a question and the buyer answered it.  Why assume that the buyer realizes that it could cause a problem for the seller if he answers honestly?

So it is OK for the buyer to cause bad feelings for what they do, but sellers can't reciprocate?

More and more sellers are reciprocating against buyers for absurd Ebay policies or no written policies as sellers are getting very tired of being abused.I did not create the late delivery, the post office did, yet Ebay makes sure the seller will be punished by the buyer.

I have a parcel coming from Arizona to Montana. The idiotic post office sent it to Maine and then Ohio before sending it to Montana. Is it then fair to punish the seller for what he has no control over. That is what Ebay wants buyers to do. I would never blame the seller or give him a late delivery strike. All I care about is that it arrived and is as stated.

Many buyers are not happy doing that so they join the BBL as a result.

The only reason these buyers are not happy is self inflicted with their I am a buyer, I get what I want, and get it yesterday, thanks to Ebay's idiotic policies for punishment.

Maybe some buyers are happy punishing sellers and they really are not unhappy.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply