Late Shipment noted but no actual defect

Maybe those of you who are more clever than I can clarify this for me.

I have a 'Late Shipment' noted on my USA breakdown (where I am not a Top Seller anyway due to not meeting the number of sales threshold) for an item that wasn't shipped late but shipped twice due to the carrier losing it. I called to get it 'removed' but it's still sitting there. (Exhibit A) 

When I look at the Global breakdown, no Late Shipment defect is recorded, however, so I'd like to know whether it is a defect or not. The second item arrived by that point in time the first one should have gotten there and the buyer hasn't left feedback. Both parcels in the order were tracked. That first one was lost but certainly got its Acceptance Scan ahead of time. It seems like that fact was overwritten with the mailing of second one that was actually mailed later (obviously past my same-day dispatch guarantee as it was a replacement for the original one that CPC misplaced) and delivered and not lost unlike the first which had an on-time acceptance scan. (Exhibit B)

Is this a Late Shipment defect or not? It appears not to be but then I don't understand the reason it shows in the USA breakdown.

I'd appreciate some clarification. I have a feeling that if I call ebay again, they simply won't know the answer and it'll waste more of my time so I thought I'd try here first.

Exhibit A: USA breakdown where I am NOT designated a Top Seller anyway

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.07.47 PM.png

Exhibit B: Global breakdown where it doesn't appear to be a defect... yet.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.07.27 PM.png

Question: Is this Late Shipment (not actually a late shipment) going to pose a problem for me later, or not? Why does it look like a defect in one place but not the other? 

I really don't want to have to call again. It's a complicated situation to explain, doubly so when there is a language barrier.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The section that you are showing is only on the US site and only pertains to US TRS sellers and is not the same as the late shipment rate.. Late shipment shows 2 sections above that and if a US shipment is late, it would show on both the global and US screens. But in this case, it isn't late because it arrived on time.  If a package is scanned within its handling time OR delivered by the eta on the listing, it is considered on time. 

The section you are looking at is a second criteria that US trs have to meet.  The only time factor involved is that they have to upload the tracking number within their handling time.  Then that package has to be scanned at least once .....it doesn't matter when or at what point.  In your case the 2nd tracking number overwrote the first one so you didn't  meet the criteria but as you aren't a trs on that dite, it's irrelevant.   Even if you were a trs, you are still within the 90% required.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hi MJ, I was checking mine and I also got a defect (late shipment).  I listed in on .ca sold it to a Canadian, it was shipped the next day and he received it a few days ago.  On the USA site it shows, I got a defect because I did not upload the tracking number, WTH.  It doesn't show up on the global but the USA.  Why USA, listed on .ca, sold on .ca to a Canadian, feedback given to me a couple of days ago.  

tracking.jpg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

mjwl2006 wrote:

I have a 'Late Shipment' noted on my USA breakdown

Is this a Late Shipment defect or not? It appears not to be but then I don't understand the reason it shows in the USA breakdown.

Question: Is this Late Shipment (not actually a late shipment) going to pose a problem for me later, or not? Why does it look like a defect in one place but not the other? 

Cleverness hasn't anything to do with it, your reading of all this is as good as anyone's, maybe better.  I do not think it is a DEFECT at all, just a "late shipment report" which is every bit as annoying but not the same on eBay.  

This is probably just background and no use to you at all so easy to ignore,   🙂  

but there are only 2 things described as DEFECTS, (those mega no-nos that apparently turn buyers away in droves), 

what's a defect.jpg

Late shipments are only ever called "late shipment REPORTS" not defects.   Like here, 

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr?&query=3259

This next link tells of the maximum number of late shipments that a seller can have before it starts to have an effect 

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr?&query=3237

Based on the eBay policy pages, what you have is a Late Shipment Report, not a defect.  The problem for you, personally, is that you mailed the original within minutes of it being paid, it got lost, but the 2nd tracking # on the replacement item overrode the first.  

Are you on good terms with this buyer?  Good enough that you could ask them to mark "Yes" to the on-time question?  I'm thinking that might make it go away.  

The one that eBay is evaluating is not the lost one but the one the buyer actually received.  IMO this is one of those cases where you would need to have a real eBay rep (not a CS rep) like R look into it and see that you mailed the first one and delete it for you.  I don't think a phone service rep can help even if they could be made to understand the problem.  

From this link here it says, 

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/new-business-seller/cs-best-practices.html#on-time-shipping

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery, or
  • Buyer confirms item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time or there's no delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date

I think this is going to be a hurdle because of that 2nd tracking # providing the "late" acceptance scan.  That is the item the buyer received.  You know how everything is so automated, IMO you need to get a real human on this.  

It is not a DEFECT, but you still shouldn't have it at all because if eBay wants to keep track of sellers shipping times and take action against those who continue to ship late, this is definitely not what happened here.  You did NOT ship late, you shipped twice.  It's just that eBay keeps track of these things and the dotCOM site does it differently and very stringently, like how we can have TRS on .CA even without always using tracking.  The .COM site is much more tracking-obsessed.  

I really think it will help if you can get 'confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery'.  Any chance?  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

No, the buyer was happy to communicate while the order was in transit but has since dropped off the radar. It wasn't a regular ebay user that I sold this order to, she was periodical at best and didn't have an extensive Feedback Left For Others profile. 

I'm puzzled by this scenario, however. The USA breakdown identifies this as a clear policy-type violation but the Global spot where a defect for, er, I mean Defective Service Report for Late Shipment is clean.

Regardless, it shouldn't be there. The first parcel, the one that got lost, was shipped the next morning on a Saturday. Clearly, it's only looking a the second parcel sent... but that one also made it to the buyer long before the estimated delivery date.

It took so very long to explain it to ebay Customer Service the first time that I dread calling back to do it again. Oh well. I guess it cannot be helped. At least maybe someone can explain to me why it shows as a black mark on one spot but not the other with the other being the place it actually probably counts. 

Exhibit C: A more detailed picture of exhibit A which is the Global reading on my Seller Dashboard

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 4.34.47 AM.png

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi MJ, I was checking mine and I also got a defect (late shipment).  I listed in on .ca sold it to a Canadian, it was shipped the next day and he received it a few days ago.  On the USA site it shows, I got a defect because I did not upload the tracking number, WTH.  It doesn't show up on the global but the USA.  Why USA, listed on .ca, sold on .ca to a Canadian, feedback given to me a couple of days ago. 

Is it possible that your Canadian buyer skipped ebay.ca and bought your item via ebay.com? Would that generate this kind of problem? It's puzzling, I agree, but that is the only thing I can think that happened. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Can't discount the "glitch factor"

I "live" on .COM and am on the seller hub.

For a couple days last week it didn't log any of my sales in the statistics. Started again but it never has updated with the ones it missed...

I've noticed oddities with my late shipment numbers in the past too, none at the moment. Usually it is showing on one but not the other because the timeframes are different 3 months vs one year. That isn't the case for you tho.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

mjwl2006 wrote:

No, the buyer was happy to communicate while the order was in transit but has since dropped off the radar. It wasn't a regular ebay user that I sold this order to, she was periodical at best and didn't have an extensive Feedback Left For Others profile. 

I'm just wondering (it's not really important, I'm just wondering) if the buyer is one of those who almost never leaves feedback, like comparing that received to that left.  If so, she might not leave any for you either.  

mjwl2006 wrote:

The USA breakdown identifies this as a clear policy-type violation but the Global spot where a defect for, er, I mean Defective Service Report for Late Shipment is clean.

Regardless, it shouldn't be there.

How is it identified as a policy violation?  I'm not being argumentative, I always like to know details because I know that my turn is next.  Maybe not this week, maybe not the next, but my turn is coming

I completely agree it should not be there.  This is why I think a CS rep will be useless but until we have a replacement Canadian rep for R, CS might be all there is.  Maybe on Monday while you're having a quite moment with a bit of coffee & toast and don't mind wasting the time while you eat.  

mjwl2006 wrote:

The first parcel, the one that got lost, was shipped the next morning on a Saturday. Clearly, it's only looking a the second parcel sent... but that one also made it to the buyer long before the estimated delivery date. 

I do not believe it is ever going to hurt you because it is not a DEFECT but a "late shipment report", but since the US counts all those they believe to be late shipments, we never know what lurks around the next corner so you (like all of us) need all the free space you can get.  You've earned a clean slate and that is what you should have.  YOU did not ship late.  If you still have the first tracking # you can prove that, if only you can find someone to listen.  

EBay is concerned with buyer happiness, that's why they have this stupid on-time-shipping thing in the first place.  You definitely met their requirements by shipping immediately and then resending a second item.  You went above & beyond to make it a 'positive buyer experience'.  

Is there any chance you can re-enter the FIRST tracking number in place of the second?  

I was thinking if the second arrived "on time",  and the first was shipped on time, well, putting the 2 in a blender would have it come out about right.   🙂  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The section that you are showing is only on the US site and only pertains to US TRS sellers and is not the same as the late shipment rate.. Late shipment shows 2 sections above that and if a US shipment is late, it would show on both the global and US screens. But in this case, it isn't late because it arrived on time.  If a package is scanned within its handling time OR delivered by the eta on the listing, it is considered on time. 

The section you are looking at is a second criteria that US trs have to meet.  The only time factor involved is that they have to upload the tracking number within their handling time.  Then that package has to be scanned at least once .....it doesn't matter when or at what point.  In your case the 2nd tracking number overwrote the first one so you didn't  meet the criteria but as you aren't a trs on that dite, it's irrelevant.   Even if you were a trs, you are still within the 90% required.

Does that help?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That explains it, yes. Thank you. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply