List in CDN decision must be stopped!

For as long as I have been an eBay member, eBay has always recommended listing in USD to attract more customers. And they have been right on this. Correct. As in not off their rocker when they make this suggestion. And it is true. This is good advice. It is not broken, so why fix it? What is the purpose of this? Who's concern is it? 

If this happens, say goodbye to another customer. It's bad enough that we are paying fees on top of fees. And really I accept fees. But what I do not accept is a rule that distracts and discourages buyers. It's not a win win situation.

So let me put this out there because I really want this to stop and I hope I'm not alone. Who wants this to happen? A show of hands please!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I also feel your pain.  US buyers were my best customers and now for any listings on .ca in Cdn $, they are few and far between.  What will happen is that I will be listing more on .com than .ca.  And if I am not making any money then neither is ebay.  

I am not sure what the reasoning is behind this.  Maybe the Americans were complaining about the competition.  

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

There's no problem just moving your products to dotCOM the US site and listing in USD.

In fact, with any of your items that are less than 500 grams and 2cm thick, you can list on dotCOM with no problems

Those items can be shipped Flat Rate (or even Free Shipping*) because LetterPost/LightPacket are the same price for Canada or the USA or overseas. Those are three rates of course, but the variations are based only on weight.

The problem comes with items like your leather jacket which must go parcel.

Parcel rates are partly based on dimensions and weight, partly on level of service (speed, tracking) and most importantly, destination.

So those items would be best to remain on dotCA where you can use Calculated Shipping.

*DON'T PANIC! Free Shipping just means you include the cost of shipping in your asking price.

Which is cheaper

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

I would have been happier If the free listings promotions had been for Auctions instead of Buy It Now....I do much better at auctions than BIN. Auctions entice customers to bid. BIN items just languish in Ebay limbo, never to be forgiven...

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

There's no problem just moving your products to dotCOM the US site and listing in USD.

Does NOT apply to ...ALL ..... Canadian sellers.

Books  and a few other categories have a shipping cap on eBay.com.

When the cap was introduced  to eBay.com all of my listings were moved from .eBay.com  to eBay Canada.... when US dollars remained the selling option

I... MUST... stay on eBay.ca.... There is no other choice for a Canadian seller of books....

The change will be made in May... and then it will be .... 

Wait..... and See ..... and I do hope it will be See  and.... NOT me drowning in SEA

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

would have been happier If the free listings promotions had been for Auctions instead of Buy It Now.

I would be happier if chocolate was calorie-free.

The apparent purpose of this promotion was to encourage Canadian sellers to list in CDN$ on eBayCANADA in preparation for the end of new US$ listings on dotCA in May.

Auctions only last for a week.

So including auctions would have been pointless.

I think in the last year only one item I have sold was at auction over all my IDs. Maybe two, out of thousands of sales. So different strokes for different folks.

I am moving my items (including media) that can be shipped at a Flat Rate to dotCOM, where I believe they will do better. Items over 2cm and 500 grams which cannot be shipped LetterPost/LightPacket will stay on dotCA at Calculated Shipping, along with items of primarily Canadian interest, like postage lots.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As for shipping cap on eBay.com, I find it very ironic because eBay encourages the US sellers to opt in GSP (Global Shipping Program) which charge hefty shipping costs like 2 to 5 times higher those who are "shipping cap on eBay.com! 

I ship all my items by mail service with tracking number and they often come up as "shipping cap".   That is what Canada Post charges for the mail service with tracking numbers and I am NOT going to change and ship them without tracking number!  eBay just don't know what they are doing!!

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

As for shipping cap on eBay.com, I find it very ironic because eBay encourages the US sellers to opt in GSP (Global Shipping Program) which charge hefty shipping costs like 2 to 5 times higher those who are "shipping cap on eBay.com! 

I ship all my items by mail service with tracking number and they often come up as "shipping cap".   That is what Canada Post charges for the mail service with tracking numbers and I am NOT going to change and ship them without tracking number!  eBay just don't know what they are doing!!

Shipping caps on .com (and elsewhere) ONLY apply to domestic shipping charges. There are no caps on International, never have been and likely never will be.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Femmefan says there's no problem and then points out that mailing parcels from Canada on eBay.com is a real problem.   And to the other respondent on Free Shipping.      The mailing cost must be paid for by somebody so to add it to the Asking Bid Price ensures eBay get their 10% on that inflated price.   

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

Not every product sold is identical.

So not every solution will be identical either.

When an item can be shipped at Flat Rate, such as a CD or dress pattern, it is easy to ship from dotCOM, although ONLY Flat Rate shipping is available there when the seller is not using USPS services.

When an item is too bulky or heavy for Flat Rate shipping, such as a winter coat or a teacup,  the seller will be using Parcel Rates.

Parcel Rates vary not only by weight and dimensions, but by destination.

It is simplest to list bulky lots on dotCA which allows the seller to use Canada Post and Calculated Shipping.

I don't see this as a problem. Just a sensible decision.

Whether the shipping cost is included in the asking price (Free Shipping) or is a different line item, there will be FVF on it.

For many sellers, the Free Shipping FVF which is part of the selling FVF, is lower than the 10%, because of category or other discounts.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

"ensures eBay get their 10% on that inflated price.   "

Maybe, maybe not.

Many sellers have an eBay store.  In fact the vast majority of transactions on eBay come from sellers with a store where the FVF are much cheaper. Many sellers are TRS.  I pay 4.8% on all my eBay sales.  I offer "free shipping".

If I charged extra for shipping, I would still pay 4.8% FVF on the transaction but 6.0% FVF on  the shipping charge. 

As such it is cheaper (sellers pay less fees) using "free shipping" (shipping charge incorporated with other expenses in the selling price)

Once again, the majority (that is more than 50%) of all listings on eBay.com offer "free shipping".

Anyone wanting to compete on eBay.com may want to take another look at their shipping charge policy.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

A tea cup is heavy or bulky?
Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

In fact, with any of your items that are less than 500 grams and 2cm thick, you can list on dotCOM with no problems.

___________________________________________________________________________________

While I agree with you in principle, I think it needs to be said that for many sellers there are real costs, losses, and disadvantages to consider in switching over to .com.  I've had to accept these, primarily because I sell mainly to the U.S., have mostly U.S. competitors, traditionally sell multi-item orders, and offer combined (automated) shipping discounts.  Due to the "cart disconnect", selling on .ca, let alone listing in $Cdn, just doesn't work.  

For anyone in a similar boat, the choice to list exclusively on .com isn't without issues.  For example: 

• If you're a Cdn seller with a high percentage of U.S. sales and have been relying on free/reduced shipping domestically on .ca in order to lessen FVFs on all shipping, you're most likely going to be out of luck on .com.  The reasons are (a) Higher shipping costs to the U.S. (i.e. "domestic" shipping) that are not easy to roll into item price.  (b) Most of your sales are still going to be to the U.S., so if you can't afford free/reduced shipping to the U.S., you'll lose the FVF savings on most of your sales (which you would have had by listing on .ca with free domestic shipping). 
  • You will no longer benefit from the double listing quantity available to Cdn sellers (.com plus .ca). 
  • You will no longer be able to take advantage of free listing promos offered only on .ca
  • If you've used free subtitles on .cafr, those will no longer be available. 
  • If you sell CDs, books, DVDs, etc. the .com shipping caps will restrict what you can charge for shipping.
  • Specific Canada Post flat rate shipping options cannot be included in listings on .com. (shipping options are simply described generically, e.g. "economy shipping").  However, you can still specify Canada Post services when doing Paypal labels. 
  • As mentioned, calculated shipping would not be available to you on .com. 

I have personally had to weigh the above disadvantages against the even greater evil (for my particular business and customers) of listing on .ca in $Cdn, which would result not only in a loss of control over stability of my item pricing (a crucial factor, since most of my competitors are American), but inability of my customers to use their .com shopping cart, and the loss of automated shipping discounts applied to my buyers' orders.  

For these reasons, I feel I have no choice but to move lock, stock and barrel over to the .com platform.  I don't do so happily, but for some reason eBay doesn't seem to "get it", that being able to list in $US on .ca for all these years was a great benefit for Cdn sellers.  

On the other hand, maybe they get it very well, and are hoping that forcing a mass migration of Cdn sellers to .com will ultimately save them money (and make them some too, by way of higher FVFs on shipping). 

To the OP -- it really doesn't matter anymore, this is a fait accompli, and each of us must sink or swim as best we can.  Clearly there is no real concern by eBay HQ about Canadian sellers' situation on eBay. 

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Does NOT apply to ...ALL ..... Canadian sellers.

Books  and a few other categories have a shipping cap on eBay.com.

When the cap was introduced  to eBay.com all of my listings were moved from .eBay.com  to eBay Canada.... when US dollars remained the selling option

I... MUST... stay on eBay.ca.... There is no other choice for a Canadian seller of books....

____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it's ironic, isn't it?  Some of us will have no realistic choice but to move over to .com, while others, like you, will be forced to list in $CDN in order to stay on ca.  

I think we're all going to be in for a rough ride.  A gamble is being presented to us, one way or the other.  I don't like making changes that have completely unpredictable outcomes, which is what listing in $CDN in order to stay on .ca would mean to me.  

Since you will be obliged to stay on .ca and list in $CDN, I'd be very interested to hear from you about sales volumes in 2 or 3 months' time.  If you sell mainly to Canadians, you may be OK, but if a majority of your buyers are American, it will very interesting to see what the result is.  

I wish you the best of luck.  This -- along with the 'on-time' delivery policy -- is going to mean a lot of upheaval for many Canadian sellers. 

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

A tea cup is heavy or bulky?

For shipping purposes, both.

It weighs more than 500 grams.

It's thicker than 2 cm.

That puts it out of flat rated LetterPost/LightPacket shipping and into Parcel territory.

The cost of shipping a Parcel depends not only on the level of service chosen, and the weight and dimensions, but also on the destination, even within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 15 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather have both not just auction only.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

I thiink Rose-Dee made some very good points; well written and well organized.   Isn't the US dollar probably one of the most recognized currencies in the world and the value of which is understood not only in Canada but internationally in countries such as Asia, United Kingdom,  Australia, etc.   As a Seller who offers 99% of his auctions "worldwide" my choice of pricing is in US dollars.   Another factor is it depends what one is selling; if it fits in an envelope is much different from what I sell in parcels where carton size, weight and destination are key elements in arriving at the cost of mailing.    Taking away US pricing on eBay.ca is a done deal; our only hope is that on eBay.com is that eBay has Canada Post shipping modes incorporated in their listing forms......and that I doubt we'll see.    16 years as an eBay seller and time and again asked; is it worth it?

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

"Taking away US pricing on eBay.ca is a done deal;"

You are 100% correct.

" hope is that on eBay.com is that eBay has Canada Post shipping modes incorporated in their listing forms......and that I doubt we'll see. "

Again you are correct: it will not happen.  The Canadian market for eBay.com is too small.

Canadians wanting to sell on eBay have options:

1) if they already sell on eBay.ca in Cdn$ - no changes are needed

2) if they already sell on eBay.com in US$ - no changes are needed

3) If they sell on eBay.ca in US$ sellers will need to adapt: they can change their pricing to Cdn$ or list on eBay.com with the generic shipping options available on .com but without the postage/shipping calculator or a combination of both options.

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

It is the generic shipping options on eBay.com that, from past experiences, made no sense but maybe on May 2nd they'll be workable.
For example to offer worldwide and quote the mailing rate on a cup and saucer (500 grams) to the USA, Asia, Europe and Australia, to mention a few, is important to the Buyers but a heck of a lot of work because International Small Packet rates vary by Country.and I'm not one to charge the highest of all and apply it across the board.   I'm Happy to recover my cost, make it visible to the Buyer and not bury it in the Selling Price.  And to repeat, it seems the US currency is more acceptable in those far off Countries and we sure need all the Help we can get to Sell on eBay and not complicate matters.   Thanks for your input.

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

It is the generic shipping options on eBay.com that, from past experiences, made no sense but maybe on May 2nd they'll be workable.

Your sunny optimism is refreshing.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply