Listing and Billing Currency Question...

This is what I'm getting on my listings

Review your listing

Listing Currency: U.S. dollar

Billing Currency: Canadian dollar

If you list on Ebay.ca and your listings are in $US and you pay your Ebay fees by Paypal in $US...Is this the way you should be set up? It seems to me there would be a currency exchange advantage if your Billing Currency was in $US, not $CAN.

I'm not sure what would be best...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The way I look at it is, the loonie has dropped a lot recently but......

The Canadian dollar is not the US dollar and never has been. It isn't the Australian dollar or the Hong Kong dollar or the Zimbabwean dollar either.

They just happen to share a name.

Like Anne Hathaway and Anne Boleyn.

Unless you have a US bank account (NOT a Canadian bank account in US dollars) you will be moving your money back and forth anyway.  And every time you do PP or the bank or your credit card take a percentage.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Listing currency and billing currency are independent from each other

Listing currency on eBay.com is always in US$

Listing currency on eBay.ca can be either US$ or Cdn$,  at the option of the seller

The billing currency is selected by the seller and can be changed once a year.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/billing-currency.html

If your billing currency is in US$ and you list in US$, then the fees charged by eBay are exactly what you see on the fee schedule;

If your billing currency is in US$ and you list in Cdn$, then each fee will be converted to US$ using the current conversion rate (determined daily by eBay).  That conversion rate does not include any currency conversion fee.  For example, if you have a Cdn$1.00 fee today, your account would be charged US$0.77

If your billing currency is in Cdn$ and you list in Cdn$, then the fees charged by eBay are exactly what you see on the fee schedule.

If your billing currency is in Cdn$ and you list in US$, then each fee will be converted to Cdn$ using the current conversion rate (determined daily by eBay). For example, if you have a US$1.00 fee today, your account would be charged Cdn$ 1.29

How to select the right "billing currency"?  The "right" answer to that question depends on each seller: what currency is used for listing?  where are the proceeds kept?  does the seller have a US$ denominated credit card? etc...

Personally I list in both US$ on eBay.com and Cdn$ on eBay.ca.  That is what works best for me.  I also pay my eBay fees by credit card (never PayPal) as I earn AirMiles every month with my credit card and I find it a lot easier from a bookkeeping point-of-view.  That is what works best for me.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

if you list in US$ (not recommended by ebay anymore), and you end up converting that US$ to CAN$, you'd be better off to switch to US$ billing and pay the ebay fees from paypal in US$. If you have a use for all the US$ you receive and can use it without converting it, then you'd probably want to be billed in CAN$.  2.5% of the fees is the only difference it will make either way

Message 4 of 4
latest reply