Looking for advice....

Please PLEASE if anyone can offer me some advice what to do here it would be greatly appreciated

I recently sold an item on ebay for $400.  International bidders were supposed to contact me before bidding because Canada Post does not offer tracking to all international countries.  The winning bidder ended up being from Mexico.  I immediately messaged him saying I can't ship there.  He replied the next day saying I can send to his friend in Texas.  I told him I can't because I have no seller protection if I send to any address not registered to his PayPal account.

This afternoon he messages me saying he changed his ebay address & is sending payment tomorrow.  I called ebay & they tell me I have seller protection if I send to that address but I know I don't have PayPal protection so what would that protect me from?  I started to think maybe I should spend the $130 to send with Purolator but now I don't know if that would even help me.
Ebay also reccomended cancelling the transaction but I know that leaves me open to negative feedback.

I really don't know what to do, I just got ripped off $1000 last month, I can't afford another $400 😞

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Looking for advice....

Ship to the Texas address, you will be covered.

I don't know what went down during your conversation but to qualify for Seller Protection you are required to ship to the address provided at the time of the PayPal payment. These requirements are the same for both eBay and PayPal.

The csr may have thought you meant the buyer asked to change the address AFTER payment, eBay will cover these situations (sort of) if the instructions from the buyer come through the eBay message system, PayPal would not cover you under those circumstances. In your situation the payment hasn't been made yet so your buyer can change the address and it will be the one you get with the payment.

When you get the payment just check to make sure it says "Seller Protection - Eligible"

Oh by the way.....Seller Protection.....incredibly over-rated!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

"Ebay also reccomended cancelling the transaction "

Follow the advise received from eBay unless the PayPal payment clearly states you are protected.

"but I know that leaves me open to negative feedback"

Do not worry about that.

Now, I checked your listing and it states

"Ships to:Worldwide" "International shipping $35 "

If you want to limit shipping to specific countries your listing should be clear on the subject.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

Hey

You have a few things you can do.

I hope you have set up in your listing which countries you ship to and those you dont. If you dont know how, let me know and I will guide you through the process.

You do not send any item other than to the address on their Pay pal account. Period..

Be sure to send it with tracking. Expedited or EMS

What does the buyers feedback look like.

In the end. It is your item and if you fell uncomfortable about the possibility of a ripoff, don't send it. If you have in your listing that Mexico is a country you dont send to, you have nothing to worry about. 

Personally Mexico is one country I dont sell to.  Good Luck 

oh, one last thing. Dont listen to Ebay.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

The line above international shipping cost says they need to contact me before bidding.

I'm still not sure how I'm covered if thier PayPal address says mexico but the ebay address says Texas. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

he has 400 positive feedback from about 200 sellers in less than a year.  I've been ripped off by people with alot more feedback who've been registered longer & we all know buyers can't be given real feedback so I disregard buyer feedback.

I've always just listed as worldwide but ask international bidders to contact me.  Sometimes I might not be able to send a tracked packet to a country but can send registered. I don;t always know which countries I can & can't until I check for one specifically.  This has been the first issue.

And yeah I learnt a long time ago not to listen to ebay lol

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

Pay Pal address only!!!!!!!!!

seems that your listing will allow you  to not have to sell to Mexico. So its up to you. Do ya feel lucky punk. LOL. Love thoughs old dirty harry movies

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

so if you go into your new creation or revise listing, just scroll down till you see what is below. It will allow you to pick and choose countries/or con tenants.

Excluded shipping locations  Exclude shipping locations help
Your listing may be visible on other international eBay sites. To exclude buyers in certain locations from purchasing your item, create a shipping exclusion list.
No locations are currently excluded.
Create/edit exclusion list !!!!!!!!
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

@prarie_nerd wrote:

The line above international shipping cost says they need to contact me before bidding.

I'm still not sure how I'm covered if thier PayPal address says mexico but the ebay address says Texas. 

That is unenforceable and means nothing. Block the countries you do not want to ship to, before, not after.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

To have seller protection you do not have to send to the buyer's Paypal registered address but you do have to send it to the address that the buyer uses when they pay.

As recped said, since the buyer hadn't paid yet when they changed their address, the address they entered should be the one that you will see on the ebay and on the Paypal transaction information. As long as the Paypal info says that you are eligible for seller protection then you're fine sending it to that address.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

Like I said, I don't want to exclude countries because sometimes I can end up shipping to them.
I just keep getting more & more worried about this buyer though. If you click his ebay ID it still says he's in Mexico but the adress on the auction now says Texas. He just sent me a message today changing his mind back saying he wants it sent to Mexico now.
It's obvious at this point he's going to try to rip me off so I guess it doesn't matter where or how I send...I'm probably better off just cancelling the sale & hoping I can fight ebay on feedback he leaves
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

Probably a third of the buyers I ship to at a Texas address are actually from Mexico, same goes for shipments to South Florida, they are often buyers from South America.

You should be happy the buyer has an address in Texas as the mail service to Mexico is amongst the worst in the world. I don't personally block any countries but if I was to start with a list of 5 I think Mexico would be on it. (Along with Argentina and Nigeria).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

I looked closer at the Texas address & it looked odd so I googled it & sure enough it is a shipping centre that will forward mail to Mexico. Is that covered under any sort of seller protection? What if something happens to the item there?
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

@prarie_nerd wrote:
I looked closer at the Texas address & it looked odd so I googled it & sure enough it is a shipping centre that will forward mail to Mexico. Is that covered under any sort of seller protection? What if something happens to the item there?

Your responsibility is to get the package safely to the address the buyer provides, if you can prove that you did this you cannot lose an INR claim.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

So the buyer just payed & has the Texas adress on thier PayPal.  I almost felt better until I noticed I'm still not covered unless there's signature confirmation.  I looked back on other payments I have recieved & they just require delivery confirmation.  Anyone know why the signature is needed?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

@ca-lawr wrote:

Anyone know why the signature is needed?

What's the value of the item in question?

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

@rose-dee wrote:

@ca-lawr wrote:

Anyone know why the signature is needed?

What's the value of the item in question?

In the OP first post, he says $400.

PayPal Canada has seller protection breakpoints of $850 Can and PayPal USA has $750 US to require Seller Protection. So I would think signature is not required.

But the OP seems to implying that the PayPal transaction for this item indicates Signature Confirmation is needed. ??

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

@ca-lawr wrote:

So the buyer just payed & has the Texas adress on thier PayPal.  I almost felt better until I noticed I'm still not covered unless there's signature confirmation.  I looked back on other payments I have recieved & they just require delivery confirmation.  Anyone know why the signature is needed?

"needed" or "recommended"?

If you are looking at the PayPal payment details page they always say......

We recommend that you:

Note that it says recommended not required and it will say that even on a $2 payment.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

Sorry the computer was logged into my husband's account (ca-lawr) when I commented.
The value of the item is $405 US. PayPal says it needs a signature confirmation.
It took me awhile but I managed to find a shipping company that offered that & it only cost me $30 more than what he paid for shipping.
I made alot more on the sale than I expected & I wouldn't have minded if I felt better about the buyer. I haven't heard from him since he paid.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Looking for advice....

And I checked & no other payments I've recieved have said anything about needing a signature. Just this one.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply