Lost mly computer hard dive

My computer crashed on Friday and I went out and bought another on Saturday. Luckily I

had just backed it up.

Moving from Visa to 8.1 - what a nightmare.

I don't like it - I suppose I will get used to it.

I really hate the Start Screen and the App.s is there any way to get rid of the screen and just work from the desk top?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@rosscd57 wrote:

My computer crashed on Friday and I went out and bought another on Saturday. Luckily I

had just backed it up.

Moving from Visa to 8.1 - what a nightmare.

I don't like it - I suppose I will get used to it.

I really hate the Start Screen and the App.s is there any way to get rid of the screen and just work from the desk top?

I completely sympathize!  I had to replace my laptop 2 months ago with a new one with 8.1 and I still hate it.  However, I've discovered that by right-clicking on many of the programme icons you can put them on the desktop taskbar, which is where I normally work from. 

I assume you've discovered that by taking your cursor into the bottom left corner of the Apps screen, you can access the old style desktop view?  You can shut down from there (swipe from the right of the screen to see the "Charms"), which should bring the desktop up as a default the next time you boot up.

There is apparently software that can be downloaded to force 8.1 to return to the old desktop look, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.  I just place my most frequently-used programmes on the taskbar and visit the App screen as little as possible.  They really should have issued an official "desktop only" version of 8.1 for those of us who have been used to it for so many years.

BTW, three of the smaller problems I had almost drove me nuts, and hopefully these tips will help you avoid the frustration:

(a)  Having Control Panel, etc. handy on the desktop -- You have to now access Control Panel through the Charms section.  Start from your desktop view (important), swipe from the right to see the Charms, click "Settings", and look to the top of that screen.  You'll see Control Panel.  Click on it, then minimize it -- you'll see the icon show up on your desktop taskbar at bottom.  Right-click on the icon, select "Pin this program to Taskbar" and it will stay there for easy future access.  While I was at it, I also pinned my "Documents" icon, "My Computer" icon, and "Hardware and Sound" icon to the taskbar so I could get at those easily. 

(b)  Programs:  Wow, this almost drove me insane for the first couple of weeks!  It's not easy finding your list of programs now from the desktop view (and I absolutely HATE looking for programs in the endless list of Apps).  Once I pinned Control Panel to my taskbar, I could open it, click on Programs and get the list of commonly-loaded programs to populate.  However, not everything is there as before.  To actually see everything you need to go into your "C" drive though -- I now do this through the icon on the desktop taskbar (as noted above).

(c)  Calculator:  That handy onscreen pop-up/down calculator that we've all used for years, and that I use constantly, every day, seemed to be totally AWOL.  The "Calculator" on the Apps list is completely useless, and isn't the same thing.  I finally found my beloved little calculator by swiping onto the "Charms", choosing "Search", and entering "Calculator".  I had to dig around a little amongst the search results, but there it was -- once I got it up on the screen, I right-clicked to pin that puppy to my taskbar, and there it's stayed.

One other major headache:  Windows Photo Gallery editing shuts down every time I use it.  I've searched the Microsoft site and discussions, but none of the suggestions has fixed the problem.  Unbelievable that Microsoft would load a program onto its Windows 8.1 suite that just won't work with that OS.  It's a good program, great features, but it crashes every time.  I took one blogger's suggestion and uploaded Picasa instead -- what a nightmare!  I ended up with horrible, persistent little pop-up ads everywhere.  I couldn't work on my computer with them.  I finally had to uninstall both Picasa and Chrome (Google), and so far so good.

In short, there isn't much I like about Windows 8.1 but in a few years nobody will have much choice anymore in any event, so I'm forcing myself to adjust.  Some days I just wish I could have my old laptop back. Woman Sad

Best of luck to you with it -- it's an ugly beast as far as I'm concerned.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

With Windows 8 computers, I install "Classic Shell" to get back the Start Menu. ie. Click the start button and get the  pop up of programs we know from Win 7.  There are a number of free programs available to do this, I tried this one as it was recommended from some reputable sites and it has worked well for me.  

We have Win 8 on computers with and without touch screens, and for computers without a touch screen I think it is pretty well required to have sanity.  With a touch screen, you get the best of both worlds as Win 8 is set up for touch screens. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Microsoft is bringing back the traditional start menu with Windows 10.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@theundercutter wrote:

Microsoft is bringing back the traditional start menu with Windows 10.

What is the expected Launch date?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is with those who develop those computers are always coming up with stupid idiots things that are driving us crazy.  Why not develop to make it more friendly user? 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Late 2015, I'm guessing just before the holiday season

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@theundercutter wrote:

Late 2015, I'm guessing just before the holiday season

Well, this is the best news I've had all day.  I'll have to grit my teeth for a few more months....

Thanks for posting this information!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for all the help - specially Rose-dee.

Now it looks like I am stuck with Windows 8.1 - another train wreck and I just got rid of Vista.

I really would like to get Windows 98 back - it was the best by far.

I am getting used to 8.1 and am finding lots of work arounds for the start screen.

I notice that the View Zoom keeps getting smaller and I have to keep turning it up - what's with that?

Take care guys.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

With 8. 1  you are forced to use use I!11 which also forces you to use tabs.  Tab can not be turned off.

If you play  MIDI music you will also have to add a third party MIDI player since Microsoft  thinks MIDI is nothing.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Seriously folks, download Classic Shell from their site and install it.   You will have the Win 7 type start menu in a few minutes.  It is a well known and safe utility that I have installed in numerous computers.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@atvds1210 wrote:

Seriously folks, download Classic Shell from their site and install it.   You will have the Win 7 type start menu in a few minutes.  It is a well known and safe utility that I have installed in numerous computers.  

Why should a person have to do extra work to make their computer useable ?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Life is fair?  Continue hacking away without a start menu if you wish, that is much more work than the 5 minutes it takes to download and install a solution.   

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Did you find you got any junk and/or malware as a result of downloading Classic Shell?  I tried downloading one "App" and was inundated with horrible little pop-up ads everywhere.  It was so bad I couldn't work from my screen until I uninstalled the App.  

Also, and probably most importantly, do you find it still works seamlessly with other (necessary) parts of 8.1?  I don't want to turn an ugly beast into a fire-breathing monster.  Woman Very Happy

Thanks! 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Rose-Dee, excellent questions.  Classic Shell is very clean, and does not have a large footprint. I have put it on several laptop and desktop computers and it has not caused any problems.  You don't know it is there until you click the start button and get the menu.  I have built my own desktop computers since the 90s and am hyper about installing junk. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

I had so many problems with it I took it back to Costco and got my money back.

I looked at an Apple but all they are offering is an i5 hard drive for $2000 with only 8 ram  - they are nuts - HP ind others are offering an intel i7 forth generation with 12 ram for half that.

So  !!!!!!!!

I bought a hard drive for my old machine, installed it myself and loaded up only the files that I need and am up and running again.

I will wait until Window comes up with their new operating system which is supposed to get rid of the 8.1 app start  and bring back the desktop.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Did you look under the pillow, often loose my remote there 🙂 , if I lost parts of my computer I would not be any wiser, don't know how half the stuff works, I going to start an anti technology movement...heard the latest technology threat, if you download the free flashlight

app on your smart phone you could be letting in a Trojan horse virus where your info goes to very unfriendly users.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

My computer crashed this morning, second crash this year. Turns out I had upgraded power supply before first crash for intended graphic card upgrade that did not happen, so after two crashes, original HP supply is back in. I hope is the effin power supply causing these drive crashes, because even though I have backups, restoring and setting up all software and drivers is a full day chore.

And btw. 8.1 that comes in basic version is garbage. They call it "Plain Jane" and lot of functionality of Win7 Home Premium was stripped and you need Professional to access those functions. Somethins as basic as changing the network type from private to public or vice versa is disabled among others. Get Win7 if you can.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

All hardrives today implement S.M.A.R.T. technology of self-diagnostic and self-repair.

I installed smartmontools and my crashed harddrive was giving error code 118. But after running long self-test that took over 4hrs, the drive no longer shows any error.

Another utility is Argus Monitor, it monitors the drive SMART parameters and "should" notify before drive dies, although it cannot invoke self-test. It looks beatiful, graphs and colors, but it was showing all OK on the crashed drive before it repaired itself, so I have doubts about it. I tried some other utility and it installed virus to my PC, so I stick with smartmontools, although they are not as user-friendly.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply