Marking "payment sent" in My eBay and eBay seller claiming to be "scammed".

I have read that an eBay seller claims to be scammed by the buyer merely checking off "payment sent" in their (the BUYER'S) My eBay page. As a buyer, I do not understand the seller's claim of being scammed by the buyer merely marking "payment sent" on the buyer's end of the transaction.

As an eBay seller, do you see the payment icon "filled in" or "marked" on your end of the transaction if the buyer, in actual fact, did NOT make payment via PayPal?

I ask these questions to gather a genuine understanding of eBay seller concerns about being scammed and NOT "claiming" to be scammed merely by the buyer being able to mark "payment sent" on their end of the transaction in their My eBay page.

As a seller, when the auction ends or the Buy It Now listing ends with a buyer and BEFORE the buyer actually pays you via PayPal, do you, the eBay seller, receive ANY e-mail notification whatsoever from eBay that includes the buyer's name and (shipping) address?

As an eBay buyer, I know for a fact, that BEFORE I make my payment via PayPal to the eBay seller, I absolutely do NOT receive any notification from eBay OR from PayPal that includes the seller's real name (or their chosen "business" name). It is ONLY AFTER I remit my PayPal payment, that PayPal provides me with the seller's real name or their chosen "business" name be that the case. I am NOT provided with the eBay seller's (street or mailing) address AT ANY TIME. At the moment my PayPal payment is completed through eBay checkout, the "payment sent" icon is automatically filled-in in My eBay page. I do NOT have to mark that icon.

On the occasions that I have remitted my money order payment via snail mail OR if I contacted the eBay seller and provided them with my credit card number to process through their merchant account (and thus NOT through eBay/PayPal), I have had to manually check the "payment sent" icon in my My eBay page to prevent eBay from sending me those ANNOYING PAYMENT REMINDERS to pay the eBay seller especially AFTER I have already remitted my payment to the eBay seller.

If PayPal does NOT provide you, the eBay seller, with the eBay buyer's mailing address BEFORE the eBay buyer actually remits their payment via PayPal, how it is possible for the eBay seller to be scammed by the eBay buyer IF the eBay buyer merely clicks the "payment sent" icon in the buyer's My eBay page?

It is my belief and understanding that the item remains in the eBay seller's possession before the eBay buyer has made payment to the eBay seller so exactly how is the eBay seller being "scammed" if the eBay buyer is clicking the "payment sent" icon in the buyer's My eBay page?

It is also my understanding that if I, the eBay buyer, DO NOT make my payment to the eBay seller via PayPal, to the best of my knowledge, the eBay seller is NOT provided with the eBay buyer's name AND mailing address so how could the eBay seller print out a shipping label IF they do NOT have the eBay buyer's shipping address?

IF I, the eBay buyer, merely click the "payment sent" icon WITHOUT actually remitting a payment via PayPal, it is my understanding that there is NO PayPal Transaction ID number generated with respect to the eBay transaction and if there is NO PayPal transaction ID number generated and if the eBay seller is NOT provided with the eBay buyer's mailing address, how is it, EXACTLY, that the eBay seller is being "scammed"?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

godzilla_goose wrote:

So as to do YOU and other readers of THIS Canadian Board a courtesy AND to provide you insight as to exactly WHY I started this thread on THIS Board, I will provide you the URL to a thread on eBay.com's Discussion board

From reading the replies in THIS thread, I am inclined to believe that the mere act of the buyer clicking the "payment sent" icon in the buyer's My eBay page does NOT, in actual fact, "scam" the eBay seller. 

Oh, OK, thank you for posting that.  Now I see, it was a tiff you got into with another board member on the dotCOM boards.  I had worried that there was some 'special notice' sent out, some 'beware' announcement that I'd missed or something.  

I do hope you're not endeavoring to pit one side against the other, the dotCA and the dotCOM, to-and-fro, just for the sake of wanting to win an argument.  In my opinion your scuffle over there was a waste of typing time but if you had a bit of fun with it then fine.  

Even where the buyer marks the item as 'payment sent'  without having paid, if the seller goes to print a label in PayPal they will be told there is no payment yet and not to ship.  

It was a small thing, maybe the other member is mistaken, or not knowing any better feared the 'scam' might work.  Not worth arguing about.  I suppose some people don't like buyers having the option to mark that because it looks like a paid item when everything else indicates a false alarm.  Maybe they see it as a tease.  

I see your point that if you have already paid, like cash on pickup, you would want to stop the payment reminders.  Nobody likes that sort of thing.  If you say that clicking the 'payment sent' is enough to stop those, well that answers a question I had wondered about.  I didn't know if it did that or not.   🙂  

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@godzilla_goose wrote:

So as to do YOU and other readers of THIS Canadian Board a courtesy AND to provide you insight as to exactly WHY I started this thread on THIS Board, I will provide you the URL to a thread on eBay.com's Discussion board

From reading the replies in THIS thread, I am inclined to believe that the mere act of the buyer clicking the "payment sent" icon in the buyer's My eBay page does NOT, in actual fact, "scam" the eBay seller. 

Oh, OK, thank you for posting that.  Now I see, it was a tiff you got into with another board member on the dotCOM boards.  I had worried that there was some 'special notice' sent out, some 'beware' announcement that I'd missed or something.  

I do hope you're not endeavoring to pit one side against the other, the dotCA and the dotCOM, to-and-fro, just for the sake of wanting to win an argument.  In my opinion your scuffle over there was a waste of typing time but if you had a bit of fun with it then fine.  

Even where the buyer marks the item as 'payment sent'  without having paid, if the seller goes to print a label in PayPal they will be told there is no payment yet and not to ship.  

It was a small thing, maybe the other member is mistaken, or not knowing any better feared the 'scam' might work.  Not worth arguing about.  I suppose some people don't like buyers having the option to mark that because it looks like a paid item when everything else indicates a false alarm.  Maybe they see it as a tease.  

I see your point that if you have already paid, like cash on pickup, you would want to stop the payment reminders.  Nobody likes that sort of thing.  If you say that clicking the 'payment sent' is enough to stop those, well that answers a question I had wondered about.  I didn't know if it did that or not.   🙂  

i.am.vivian,

Let me there be NO mistake about this: I have absolutely NO intention of pitting the dotCA board against the dotCOM boards and I KNOW when I am RIGHT and the other party is a ***BLEEP***. I have been reading the dotCOM boards since 2000 and have honed my "crap" detector over that time. Having spent two YEARS reading the eBay Trust & Safety Board from 2000-2002, I learned a LOT of ways that disreputable eBay sellers would do harm to rip off eBay buyers and during the "old" eBay, there was very little that buyers could do to protect themselves especially when back in the "old" eBay, many transactions were settled with paper forms of payments such as cheques and money orders (and when PayPal was NOT widely used by buyers OR accepted by sellers).

Because non-retractable forms of payment were used long ago, it was extremely easy for eBay buyers to be ripped off on eBay especially considering that, on eBay, almost without exception, buyers are buying sight-unseen, meaning that the bidders/buyers are relying on the trustworthiness of the seller's description and/or images to (accurately) portray the item up for bids/sale and that the bidders/buyers can NOT see the actual item with their OWN eyes and check over the item with their OWN hands BEFORE bidding/buying like you could sight-seen in a brick-and-mortar store AND that during the "old" eBay, there were NO such mechanisms to file INRs or SNADs either. Truly, in the "old" eBay, eBay buyers took ALL the risk.

So while spending two YEARS "studying" in the eBay Trust & Safety Board what could and does go wrong for eBay buyers, I started posting on eBay's Bidding Discussion Board around late 2001 using a different eBay ID than this one and I did have a lot of fun going to town tearing a strip up one side and going down the other side of disputable eBay sellers to the chagrin of eBay pinks (Board moderators) before eBay LiveWorld and before Lithium moderators. eBay did NOT like me exposing SHILLERS at all.

If you have not already checked my user ID, you will see that I am also registered in BC, Canada (and I am a proud Canadian) and I have NO hesitation whatsoever to go down to the dotCOM Boards and hammer any STUPID and/or IGNORANT ***BLEEP*** down there. From experience, I find the Canadian Boards to be more civil and having spent so much time down there, I have taken a "hardened tone" in my posts especially when I am hammering on an eBay user who posts some serious STUPID ***BLEEP***. 

Before posting down there the other day, I had not checked on eBay's web pages with respect to [buyers] manually clicking on the payment sent icon from the buyer's end to stop those annoying eBay payment reminders from being sent. When I responded to cumos55 in message #12 in THIS thread, I referenced the eBay web page that states "if you've paid by another payment method, you'll need to manually mark your payment as sent."

From actual experience, after I paid the seller via their own merchant account and ASSUMING that the seller did NOT mark the payment as being received on THEIR end of the transaction (because I can NOT see what the eBay seller is actually doing on THEIR end), BLEEPING eBay kept sending me those annoying payment reminders to pay the eBay seller. So, without reading any web pages about checking on payments, I suppose by ME clicking on the payment icon on MY end of the transaction, this stopped eBay from sending me those harassing e-mails to pay the eBay seller when I DARN well KNOW I did pay the seller (especially when I am on the PHONE with the seller giving my credit card number). So, I am happy to have answered this question for you about clicking "payment sent" will, in actual fact (and NOT alterative fact) Smiley Wink, stop those payment reminders. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 59
latest reply

Gawd almighty, I hate the spell-chucker.

So while spending two YEARS "studying" in the Trust & Safety Board what could and does go wrong for eBay buyers, I started posting on eBay's Bidding Discussion Board around late 2001 using a different eBay ID than this one and I did have a lot of fun going to town tearing a strip up one side and going down the other side of disreputable eBay sellers to the chagrin of eBay pinks (Board moderators) before eBay LiveWorld and before Lithium moderators. eBay did NOT like me exposing SHILLERS at all.

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

Remember the board on eBay.com... where its was a combination of HIgh Noon, OK Corral  and one great big shoot up.

eBay finally disposed of that discussion board... but it was absolutely Horrific..

Took a while for many to adjust....Wyatt Earp  became Quiet Burp

Things are quieter today... but there was still those willing to poke  just about anyone.... 

---------------------------------------------------------------

We on eBay Canada have had  the odd .... seller ......who was ready to be difficult...... They were ignored... and they disappeared.....  

I have seen people come here with a bit of  an attitude.....  However, over time  they adjusted.....Their tone in a discussion has evolved

The key to replying on a board is to talk to the crowd and not a specific person......The difficult person soon learns what not to do  and they might adjust ................or they just might leave.....However, there is nothing to say  that they might  have a new ID  and express a totally different attitude....

----------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that there are many who come here to read.....and learn...... but rarely say anything.

People will ask a question  or cite a problem.....  The discussion proceeds until there is an answer... A wrong answer will be corrected,,, and we all learn

Message 24 of 59
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Remember the board on eBay.com... where its was a combination of HIgh Noon, OK Corral  and one great big shoot up.

eBay finally disposed of that discussion board... but it was absolutely Horrific..

Took a while for many to adjust....Wyatt Earp  became Quiet Burp

Things are quieter today... but there was still those willing to poke  just about anyone.... 

---------------------------------------------------------------

We on eBay Canada have had  the odd .... seller ......who was ready to be difficult...... They were ignored... and they disappeared.....  

I have seen people come here with a bit of  an attitude.....  However, over time  they adjusted.....Their tone in a discussion has evolved

The key to replying on a board is to talk to the crowd and not a specific person......The difficult person soon learns what not to do  and they might adjust ................or they just might leave.....However, there is nothing to say  that they might  have a new ID  and express a totally different attitude....

----------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that there are many who come here to read.....and learn...... but rarely say anything.

People will ask a question  or cite a problem.....  The discussion proceeds until there is an answer... A wrong answer will be corrected,,, and we all learn

cumos55,

When I posted regularly (using a different user ID than this one) on eBay's Bidding Discussion Board, over time, people got to trust me in looking out for the buyers' concerns because over at the eBay Feedback Board (known as the Feedie Forest) where the disreputable sellers hung out, I would go and enter the Feedie Forest without any fear and go and beat up a Feedie just for the fun of it.

I mean, over at the Forest, there was a bicycle parts seller who was sought out by other disreputable eBay sellers for dirty tricks as to how to get eBay to REMOVE negative feedback their ripped off buyers had rightfully left them. While I was incensed by this over at the Bidding Board, I carefully read and re-read the rules regarding eBay feedback removal AND instructed buyers who were about to leave feedback exactly what to do so as NOT to have eBay remove the negative feedback the disreputable eBay seller EARNED. This was about 2003.

I would ask the disgruntled buyer about their unpleasant eBay experience and what they wanted to convey. So, I took my time to carefully WRITE feedback comments with which the buyer could use at their absolute discretion. Simply copy and post it as you see it on the board and use it at your absolute discretion.

Over a period of years, when I have written negative feedback that I and other buyers have left, sometimes the sellers were NARUed shortly after receiving the negative feedback. Other buyers who came to the Bidding Board could see the results. You see, when I think about negative feedback, I don't want to rant and post in ALL CAPS and use a bunch of exclamation marks, what have you. When I think about negative feedback, and depending on the seller and what they did, I write feedback with the intent to destroy the seller's business.

When I left my first negative feedback for a disreputable, lying, scamming eBay seller in 2001, I made absolutely sure of what I was going to post and I e-mailed the seller FIRST with the comment and I told him to think CAREFULLY if and when he wanted to respond to the negative feedback I am about to leave because I have already thought about follow-up comments.

NOT heeding my advice, the seller (and SHILLER) decided to respond indirectly by posting replies to OTHER buyers' (positive) feedback comments left in his profile above and below the negative feedback comment I left. In total, he replied 15 (FIFTEEN) times to positive feedback other buyers (AND to a new SHILL BIDDER account he created) had left him in HIS feedback profile.

In the end, I didn't have to post any follow-up comment because this eBay seller ended up destroying his own profile/reputation AND eBay business. I related this experience on the Bidding Board and gained the trust of people when it came time to leaving negative feedback that disreputable sellers have EARNED. From the Bidding Board, I taunted that Feedie and she could NOT do anything about the negative feedback I left that disreputable, lying, SHILLING seller even to the day that I posted 2 years after the fact.

Message 25 of 59
latest reply

My only questions are as follows:

1. Have you ever been a seller and if so when and for how long?

2. If you are so supportive of buyers, why do you post on the selling board?

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

My only questions are as follows:

1. Have you ever been a seller and if so when and for how long?

2. If you are so supportive of buyers, why do you post on the selling board?

dutchman48,

1. I have never been an [eBay] seller and have no intention of becoming one.

2.  Before the other day, the only other time I posted to the seller board was way back in December, 2015 to answer an OP's question regarding proof coins and that OP posted on the seller board HERE:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/When-was-the-official-year-that-proof-coins-in-sets-were-...

Other than my recent activity here, I don't plan to be spending a whole lot of time posting on the various Canadian Boards. More than 10 years ago, I did post more frequently and I remember a couple of user IDs -- manotom! and disisus. I don't spend much time posting now here or on the US Boards.

Message 27 of 59
latest reply

Too late to correct previous post.

Like I said, I remember the 2 user IDs -- marnotom! and disisus.

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

Hi folks! Please remember to keep the conversation on the original topic.
Off-topic conversation should be kept to private messages or the off-topic board, Canada Town Square.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

I didn't actually read through this read through all of this (yikes), but I think this might be relevant.

I've purchased quite a few GSP items which involved agreements with sellers that they would ship without the GSP.

That often means that they send a PP invoice instead.

With that type of transaction the item is never registered as paid on eBay.  Unless the item is paid through the eBay system neither the seller nor the buyer can mark the item as paid.

In these situations the buyer receives a number of payment reminders and when the seller has the automatic assistant thingy set up the buyer will get a strike eventually.

The only way to get rid of the strike is to call eBay after the strike has been recorded to get rid of it. 

eBay does not have access to the PP payment (or any other type of payment) when it's not processed through the eBay system.

In short, unless an item is paid through the eBay system it cannot be marked as paid by anyone.

I don't see that there is any room for a scam with a system like that.

Message 30 of 59
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I didn't actually read through this read through all of this (yikes), but I think this might be relevant.

I've purchased quite a few GSP items which involved agreements with sellers that they would ship without the GSP.

That often means that they send a PP invoice instead.

With that type of transaction the item is never registered as paid on eBay.  Unless the item is paid through the eBay system neither the seller nor the buyer can mark the item as paid.

In these situations the buyer receives a number of payment reminders and when the seller has the automatic assistant thingy set up the buyer will get a strike eventually.

The only way to get rid of the strike is to call eBay after the strike has been recorded to get rid of it. 

eBay does not have access to the PP payment (or any other type of payment) when it's not processed through the eBay system.

In short, unless an item is paid through the eBay system it cannot be marked as paid by anyone.

I don't see that there is any room for a scam with a system like that.

sylviebee,

So as to keep this post on topic and, at the same time, NOT upset MOD li-leslie (any further). . . .

From what I can see by your post, this would be similar to me paying an eBay seller via their OWN merchant account because my payment is not, for lack of a better term, "linked", to the eBay transaction because the payment authorization number is NOT the same as a PayPal transaction ID number that is generated if I were to have paid the seller via PayPal (through eBay checkout, for instance) and not via PHONE to the seller directly to provide him with my credit card number to process through his OWN merchant account.

In your case with a mutual agreement with your seller who is opting out of shipping via the [BLASTED] GSP, they will of course send you a PayPal invoice to settle the [eBay] transaction.

So to me, because you have a mutual agreement with your seller, and because there is no other way to stop receiving those ANNOYING payment reminders to pay your eBay seller, you would have to manually check the payment icon on YOUR end of the [eBay] transaction in YOUR My eBay page. The seller will have to (manually) check off their payment received icon on their end before printing the shipping label and shipping the item directly to you and NOT off to Erlanger, Kentucky through the [BLASTED] GSP. There is NO "scam" here especially when the eBay seller is being attentive, diligent AND responsible for THEIR end of the transaction.

Thank you for taking your time to responding to my post and relating your actual experience to refute the "scam" NONSENSE.

Message 31 of 59
latest reply

silviebee,

I have never received a non-payment strike whenever I settled my [eBay] transactions through the eBay seller's OWN merchant account. I have never had to call eBay for anything.

I am thinking that IF your seller is using the automated assistant "thingy" to deal with non-payments, it would be prudent for the eBay seller that has the mutual agreement with you to send you a PayPal invoice in a TIMELY manner that you can pay ASAP so as to NOT trigger the payment reminders and/or automated assistant "thingy". To me, this should be easy enough for you to pay your seller within 24 hours and certainly within 48 hours of receiving their PayPal invoice.

Also, because you are settling the seller's PayPal invoice that isn't "linked" to the [eBay] item, send your eBay seller an e-mail that you have, in actual fact, sent your PayPal payment (for the eBay item) and for them to MANUALLY check off the PayPal payment as being received that is related to the eBay item. I am tending to believe that your eBay seller is trusting that their payment icon to be automatically updated and this is NOT going to happen because your PayPal payment is NOT "linked" to the [eBay] item and that your seller is likely NOT going to receive any notification that they have received your PayPal payment that is linked to the eBay item. From what I can discern from your post, the seller is just receiving a PayPal payment for the seller generated PayPal invoice.

In my opinion, it is a nuisance to you to have to call eBay to remove a payment strike especially when you have a mutual agreement with your seller to settle the eBay transaction outside of the [BLASTED] GSP.

Message 32 of 59
latest reply

Well that isn't true, sellers can mark an item as Payment Received paid anytime they want, that's what I do when I have a local pick-up paid in cash. Buyers are limited to marking it as Payment Sent.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 33 of 59
latest reply

The problem is...the  interpretation of the wording .........Payment Sent

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Well that isn't true, sellers can mark an item as Payment Received paid anytime they want, that's what I do when I have a local pick-up paid in cash. Buyers are limited to marking it as Payment Sent.

For GSP items sellers cannot mark the item as payment received when the item is not paid through the eBay system in such a way that eBay registers the item as paid.

It's possible that my experience doesn't generalize beyond GSP items.

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

Hi Silvie!

I've actually had Canadian buyers pay me in $C (the converted amount) via a direct invoice I've sent them (remember I'm on .COM) on large items to save the two way currency exchange fees paypal charges. I just mark it as payment received on my end and everything is normal after that.

I also have had regular customers that have credit from overpayments on non-ebay items that have paid for their ebay item they purchased normally via the credit they have with me, so there is no PAYPAL transaction of any kind for this transaction. Again I just mark the item as payment received in eBayland and ebay is happy and the normal process is followed after that.

If a buyer marks an item as payment sent and I do not mark it as payment received and/or ebay automagically marks it as payment received(I believe echeques are marked as payment sent and when they clear it is marked as payment received), then I as the seller can still invoke the normal UID process is followed after that. (This has happened to me where they marked is payment sent and never sent payment)

As far as I know, the only way a seller can be burned is if the seller decides to ship the item based solely on the payment sent marker, which in some cases would make sense. I personally ship (small) items when I receive the echeque, not when it clears, so in that case I'm opening myself to a problem if the echeque doesn't clear.

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

Yes, so that makes sense.  My observations must be limited to GSP items.

For GSP items neither the buyer nor seller can indicate that a payment was sent or received.

For other items:  Before posting above, I checked to see there was an opening where I could indicate that I'd sent a payment for items I haven't paid for yet.

I couldn't find one.  Just out of curiosity, where/how can buyers mark items as payment sent?

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

Hi Silvie, sorry I don't know for sure, I would assume it is one of the actions against the item after it is purchased....if not the top action, then it would be under the "more actions" tab???
Message 38 of 59
latest reply

No, it's not in the roll down menu.

I know that this option existed in the past, but if it's still available it's not easy to find.

Godzilla:  How does a buyer mark an item paid?

Message 39 of 59
latest reply

How does a buyer mark an item paid?

Should never occur.....

Buyer can mark ... Payment sent

Seller is the person that can mark ..... Payment Received.

as per the link that was put by me in my Reply 15 to this discussion.....

Message 40 of 59
latest reply