Migration Tool has lots of problems and there is nowhere to get help!

If you are not very careful, it lists items you've already sold. If you don't find and delete each item you've listed on the opposite site, you'll have your item listed on both sites. Some items you want to send to the other site are  not available to do so, You can see the items but the check box isn't there. I don;t understand why a company as big as ebay Canada hasn't got someone to make a simplel program that works properly given how much time they've had and why there is nowhere to get answers. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I am having the same issues.  Items showing up that have already been sold.  The pdf file provided for support is **bleep** and does not really help.  I also keep getting an error message pop-up saying "there is a system problem please click ok and try again later".  This is incredibly frustrating.  Why the hell would it list items that have already been sold and also not show you which site the item were originally listed on instead of a message stating "this item was listed on another site".  Total **bleep**.

Look eBay, if you want to force this unfair change on all of your Canadian sellers then at least make the effort into making a tool that works.  Why the hell would this **bleep**py tool leave duplicate listings and also show items already sold.  Whey are "we" the sellers doing all of the work on this.  The idea of leaving items on two sites so you can charge double fees?  Cause other issues for the sellers?  Here is a novel idea.  Fix the **bleep** tools and do a thorough test of your products and tools before you release them!

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

If you are not very careful, it lists items you've already sold.

It's useful to put your items in alphabetical order.

This quickly shows the duplicated items and you can delete the unwanted ones.

Also.when you move your items do them in reasonable batches, maybe 10 or 25 at a time.

Yes, this is slower, but errors will show up faster.

When you do this, you can also add a Note to each new/changed listing about which site it is on and the date it was changed.

And don't panic.

After June 1, you will not be able to make NEW listings on dotCA in USD, but your existing USD listings will be grandfathered until August.

So you have another 60 days or  so to do this methodically.

And maybe by then the transition tool will work.

flyingpig.gif

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

When the procedure for use of the Migration Tool was released.... I read it over the instructions several times..

Everything looked OK until the last step.. or last few steps were read..... These last steps were a big question mark.

and that is when it was decided to do it ....  without the tool...  in personal control 100 % .... using known tools  and ways

- - - - - - - - -

The procedure became....

--- Put the store on vacation.

--- Bulk edit prices..... like it was done many times before

--- and the same with the Bulk edit of shipping

--- Now it is changing the listing from US dollars to Canadian dollars.

The only way this change to Canadian dollars can be done is .... one listing at a time.... No Bulk edit option.

End the listing... and as one relists,  one changes US dollars to Canadian dollars.

The routine is to work on the listings that end each day....

Time consuming... one listing at a time....30 days in total ....  but I am in control of each step... 100 % in control

- - - - - - - 

The process started on May 15... and will end on June 14.

The new last date for uploading listings in US dollars on eBay Canada. is June 14....

This was the new date when the release of the Migration Tool was delayed to May 12.

- - - -

This process allows me to view each listing.......  adjust prices, if necessary ... and with the store on vacation  many new listings are being prepared....  No parcels to prepare, and ship.....

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

It was back in 2008 that I moved my listings from eBay.com to eBay Canada.

That was the year that the cap on the shipping of media.... books included....  was introduced.

All of my active listings were imported into Turbolister....This upload occurred long before I moved my store from .com to .ca

My store was closed on eBay.com... and opened on  eBay Canada.

Listings were edited on Turbolister.... and then day-by-day listings were uploaded to eBay Canada

That was about 1000 listings over 30 days.....

No problems....  and sales continued with the daily upload of listings to eBay... many new listings also 

-- - - - - - - 

and the reverse can occur ...

moving from eBay Canada to eBay .com  for those that want to continue to use US dollars in their listings...

editing shipping options to conform to the situation on eBay.com...

And ... .making all appropriate adjustments required for a Canadian seller that will be listing on eBay.com

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

You are using Auctiva now and not Turbo Lister to change to CAD from USD on eBay.ca Canada? You mentioned in earlier posts this year that you had to switch to Auctiva because Turbo Lister had issues you could not resolve.

Are you removing the active content also (Auctiva Scrolling gallery, Sellathon counter) at the same time to be compliant with the new 2016 Spring Seller Update active content restrictions coming in 2017? Or are you keeping it simple and just converting to CAD at this time and use the Auctiva tools this year and remove later?

Auctiva can remove the gallery and counter for you if you put in a support ticket. You could wait until 2017 to ask them to do this. Perhaps they will have a replacement gallery that has no active content before 2017.

Are you also preparing for the new mobile description rules at this time? Or are you keeping it simple and just converting to CAD at this time?

This topic is about the new description rules for mobile.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Mobile-Optimized-Descriptions/m-p/25574635

The latest posts have links to the seller update with some info on how characters are counted. Post 72 is very informative. It gives this eBay link with how characters are counted.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/customizeyoursummary.html

This page discusses active content in eBay listings.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

I just discovered these pages a couple of days ago so I have no insight or comments on them.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

One thing at a time..

First  --- Convert to Canadian dollars..... Three more weeks to go

Second -- Remove the scrolling gallery.... Have already stopped the addition of the scrolling gallery to new listings.( should have done that right from the start in September 2015) .. Never did use the counter....

The scrolling gallery actually does not look good on my listings.......  The scrolling gallery is the only active content in my listings

Third ----  A Link to eBay Active Content scanner.... which you already have

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContent_support/ScanActiveContent.htm

Mobile device  use....

I suspect that my listings are set up in a way  that they will show up without any problem on a mobile device...even if all they do is show the first part of a listing....  The most important words are in the first part of each listing... More study required.....

I have viewed several of my listings on a small mobile device...

Turbolister died for me in August of 2015.....  Auctiva works well for me, and is a lot better for me than Turbolister was.......  and with Auctiva  my listings should show well and very easily on a mobile device....

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

(1) There are many Canadian sellers still listing in US dollars...

and the deadline for full conversion to Canadian dollars is just... around the corner.

(2) I will have no active content....   once the scrolling gallery is removed 

and

my listings are simple.....  and from what I have viewed on a small mobile device..... they are easily read......

Listings have always been kept simple.... nothing complicated

Mobile devices  will be a big question....  Forcing people to add code to a listing could be a problem for people that are not computer literate.... as a programmer

I know how to work the system  as a user... and not a programmer

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Changing from US dollars to Canadian dollars is done totally on eBay..

starting with active listings.... listings that end today

Then end one listing at a time... listings are in the Unsold file....  under not-relisted...

Start with the relist option  on each listing and revise US to Canadian dollars.... 

The listings end up as active listings on eBay.   The number count drops with each relist..

This whole process takes time....  but I am 100 % in control....  It works for me....

This process also allows me to view my listings....  and adjust... if necessary

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Checked my listings....

and  I have the Scrolling Gallery and the Sellathon Counter.

Will have Auctiva remove both from my listings  late June

One step at a time....

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Changing from US dollars to Canadian dollars is done totally on eBay..

starting with active listings.... listings that end today

Then end one listing at a time... listings are in the Unsold file....  under not-relisted...

Start with the relist option  on each listing and revise US to Canadian dollars.... 

The listings end up as active listings on eBay.   The number count drops with each relist..

This whole process takes time....  but I am 100 % in control....  It works for me....

This process also allows me to view my listings....  and adjust... if necessary

On a listing service like Auctiva, you are supposed to work within Auctiva and not in ebay because changes in ebay are not in the listings saved in Auctiva. So be real careful how you do things or you will lose changes.

You can make the changes all in eBay and when done you need to import the listings into Auctiva and save it as one of your listings. Then any time you make changes, do it in Auctiva and it will write it down to eBay and eBay and Auctiva will be in sync.

I used Auctiva for months and being a computer geek, played with their tools and features and know the system reasonably well. This was 7 years ago but the Auctiva system has not changes much, just some features added to keep up with ebay changes. I still have an Auctiva free account because I help Auctiva users on eBay.com a couple of times a year.

You might benefit from using some of the features Auctiva has to make listing easier. You should be able to convert from USD to CAD directly in Auctiva. I know you are working with eBay because you know eBay.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Your USD listings that are also GTC don't have to be changed until August.

So you have even more time on those.

I think I will be removing a lot of  rather dead listings and taking those items to 'the club' for sale.

I think I will find more interest there than internationally on eBay.

Besides, DH is off on yet another buying spree. 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Right now Auctiva is strictly a listing tool....for me... and I am doing very well with Auctiva

and when it comes to other things  I work on eBay... because like you say... I know eBay and how to use eBay.

I stick with what I know... and I did not trust   the Migration Tool. not to mess up my listings on eBay..... and... in retrospect I did the right thing..   I am totally in control, and it will continue in that direction

As it is right now... I needed a vacation from parcel preparation... I have lots of new inventory to list.... and right now  I am suffering a bit from a "cold"

I use computers   and that is all I do.....

My area of expertise was Agriculture...Animal Science... Beef cattle.... Not only do I have some ,  but then I went for... More of the Same ... and ultimately it got ....Piled Higher and Deeper.

I use eBay based on a model ... in relation to Systems Modelling

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Auctiva and my Revisions...   Just checked Auctiva for active listings.

As the listing is ended and then revised to be relisted , ....  

The ended listing is removed from Auctiva's list  ..... Auctiva establishes a link to each new listing

The end result   - - - - - -  

My list of active listings on Auctiva is a link to all of my active listings on eBay

Whatever I do on eBay shows up on Auctiva as I change my listings from US dollars to Canadian dollars 

Learn something new every day

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Please help, I am totally lost.

Yesterday I tried to migrate my few (14 listings including expired) listings to eBay.com. The wheel was turning all day long and finally I stopped the process by closing the window.

I have nothing in drafts on ebay.com

Nothing in drafts in ebay.ca

When I try repeat process from Migration tool, the listings are not clickable any more (I can't select them).

What do I do?

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

If you really wish to move your listings on eBay.com in US$, save yourself the frustration to use the migration tool and simply list the items individually on eBay.com, one at the time, using the gold old "copy and paste".

It will be a lot faster and much less frustrating when dealing with a small number of listings.

Looking at your items, I frankly do not see why you would want to list in US$ since they are mostly in Cdn$ already.

Staying on eBay.ca in Cdn$ would most likely be preferable overall.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Pierrelebel, thank you for your reply. I have no idea what is the best, most of my sales were to US customers that is why I though it's better to go with ebay.com.

Will my listings be visible to US buyers if I stay on ebay.ca? This is what I am confused about. 

I just ended 2 CAD listings (out of frustration).

Should I choose to go with ebay.com, will I be able to list there? In the past I think I was automatically thrown to .ca

Please, can you help to clarify?

Thank you so much!

Julia

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

"Will my listings be visible to US buyers if I stay on ebay.ca?"

Yes, just like they were before when listed in Cdn$ and sold to Americans.

For Canadians listing on eBay.ca, there are two conditions to meet to be seen by American buyers viewing on eBay.com:

1) offer to ship to the USA

2) select a shipping method and shipping cost to the USA.

It is that simple!

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

"Should I choose to go with ebay.com, will I be able to list there?"

Yes.

However, please remember that when listing on eBay.com, "domestic" means USA.  That site does not offer Canada Post calculator or Canadian shipping methods.  You need to go "generic"..

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Thank you SO much Pierrelebel! You really made my day! lol 

No migrating, no headache!

Best to you! Woman Happy

Message 20 of 37
latest reply