More from Ecommercebytes news for US sellers in regards to returns

16 REPLIES 16

Re: More from Ecommercebytes news for US sellers in regards to returns

eBay is considering changing those requirements from 14-day and 30-day return windows to 30-day and 90-day windows. 

eBay may also be looking to reduce the discounts it's required to provide Top Rated sellers by instituting a 3-month returns window.

90 day  free returns?!?!?!    :-p  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The extended returns period doesn't particularly worry me (since we are already dealing with a 180-day returns window with Paypal), but the fact that eBay is even floating the notion of "free returns", which I presume means no return shipping at all payable by the buyer, is alarming.  

Clearly, having to pay for the return of items would be onerous at the least, and ruinous at worst, for a whole lot of Canadian sellers, especially when combined with the pressure to offer free initial shipping.  It might knock U.S. sellers off the TRS pedestal, but they are in a much better position to be able to handle paying for return shipping.  

I'm having trouble imagining how this concept could possibly work in practice for international sales (China particularly).  I also have to think that it removes one more incentive for buyers to actually read listings and choose carefully.  I could see this becoming open season on "test-driving" by buyers. 

What will eBay expect next -- free items, with free shipping and free returns?   

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

We really have to wonder if eBay staff understand that they are operating an international business.

Perhaps the Toronto office should invite them up for a gala meeting-- with guests like the head of Canada Post and Kathleen Wynne (because they are not going to get Justin).

Just having them learn they will need a passport, and going through security on the way back, and having some colleagues held for additional screening, might remind them that the USA is not the only country in the world.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Never mind that Trump's mouthpiece couldn't even remember our PM's name the day after he left.  Maybe that was because Trudeau made Trump look like the apprentice. 

The only time in recent history when America actually recognized there was another country up here was September 11, 2001, when all their planes needed somewhere other than the U.S. to land.  Oh yes, and the escape from Tehran decades ago (but the movie turned it into a U.S. hero's story).  Oh well, that's OK, we've learned to be quietly smug.  

Perhaps eBay is planning to dance to Agent Orange's tune (as The Donald was recently so colourfully described) by selling off its troublesome international sites and focusing on America First.  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

But Paypal returns are not seller pay return shipping, but buyers pay return shipping which makes a big difference for extended returns

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

It'll be a cold day in heck before I offer free returns. I could be coerced into extending the minimum to 30-days from 14 days (although I won't like it) but the Remorse Returns themselves will never be offered at my expense as the seller.

I'm not turning over a $45 billion in sales annually. Even those HUGE retailers are re-thinking that policy because it's ripe for abuse as they have discovered.

There was a story about Land's End on the same blog recently that said it was reconsidering what they offer as a Returns policy to curtail rampant abuse but ebay sellers who are mostly one-man hobby shops are expected to suddenly find money to fund Remorse Returns on top of everything else that prevents us from turning a profit? I don't think so. 

Although I would be willing to experiment to see if offering Free Returns meant I'd be an automatic top match on Best Match and sold to many more lookie-lous who still decided to keep what they bought after looking it over. And that it didn't mean I was getting back a box of rocks on every other order.

I'd need to see some major carrot -- like a golden carrot -- which guaranteed profit promised before I'd open myself up to that kind of vulnerability. Like free FVFs or whatever they used to coerce  American sellers to join the GSP, and a promise of no defects ever. Or something that would actually make it worth my while. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes, for the buyer that's the tradeoff.

EBay (theoretically) forces the seller to pay return shipping for a 30 day period after delivery.

Paypal gives a 180 day return period but forces the buyer to pay for return shipping.

As tradeoffs go, it's not terrible.

And a seller who realizes that the return was thoroughly justified can refund the return shipping using Paypal's Send Money service, just as a buyer can who received the 'undelivered' item after the claim is refunded and closed.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

My take on some of this is Ebay wants to get rid of used merchandise sellers by trying to make it impossible to make any money. I know in my case, and I have been fortunate, if I had to start paying return shipping I may as well throw a lot of my stuff in the land fill or list on other sites that are not so prone to abuse.

Both my websites take returns, but I only pay if I made an error. For any other reason, the buyer pays return shipping. It gets rid of a lot of the tire kickers, game players, and fraudsters. I get much more serious buyers than you do right now on Ebay without all the changes and game players. I decide who can buy and under what conditions. If I block someone, it is not like Ebay where they choose now to let them open another ID and buy.

New merchandise that is covered by warranty from the manufacturer is not as big a deal. Returns may be a problem but at least they can return them to the manufacturer for a refund as defective merchandise.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

There has to be a better way than this for eBay to stimulate sales and therefore increase profits than by torturing its sellers.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

mjwl2006 wrote:

It'll be a cold day in heck before I offer free returns. I could be coerced into extending the minimum to 30-days from 14 days (although I won't like it) but the Remorse Returns themselves will never be offered at my expense as the seller.

I'm not turning over a $45 billion in sales annually. Even those HUGE retailers are re-thinking that policy because it's ripe for abuse as they have discovered.

Yes, yes, yes!  This was an article shared here recently and I am wondering if it is the sort of thing eBay has in mind for itself.  The thing is, these major retailers are facing problems with return abuse, but for eBay it will be each seller who pays, not some huge retailer.  Personally I just don't accept the notion that it is OK for buyers to buy multiples because they need to try things on.  Fine then, get out and go to a store.  Live in the boonies?  Then plan an annual shopping trip, or pay for your own returns.  

Free returns?  I ask you!   >:-o

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Interesting-Article-on-high-on-line-purchase-return-rates...

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

It's cold around here....I've offered free returns for 5 years!

Now about this "story" from Ina and pals......it's based on one question included in a survey that was sent to a few(?) eBay sellers.

eBay has done surveys for years and years and they have asked many questions about things that have never come to pass.

I wonder why Ina didn't ask her favourite eBay talking head for comment? A denial from eBay would have been more fuel for her fan base.

It all smells of "alternative facts".

Or as The Donald said yesterday "I was given that information...actually I have seen that information". or previous classics such as "people are saying".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

So you're saying we're all griping and fretting about nothing?   :-)   

Could be, and I don't really see how it could work with eBay because unlike Sears or one of those 'themselves-only' stores, eBay is many thousands of little stores and small 'garage sale' sellers.  How would 'free returns' work with clothing bought from China, for example? Buyers always say it's too small and then blame the 'misleading' listing when they don't check and read the measurements.  I don't think it would be enforceable but I do wonder if the more a seller offers no-argument 'free returns' it may lead to them getting higher placing in eBay's Best Match.  

It is already 'free returns' on a SNAD case, but to make it all 90 day free returns?  Maybe eBay is just testing the waters, sticking one toe in the pool, and the eruption of fury will let them know it was a bad idea.  

I'm just guessing.  But it is fun and harmless to complain about. lol!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

China and India are exempt from 99.99% of the Ebay rules and policies!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Ebay has morphed into a completely different market place from when it began as a glorified garagsale.  I started selling antiques and collectibles 14 years ago quite successfully.  There were few sellers with new product, so not a lot of issues.   When sellers popped up with all the new stuff, that's when things changed and fast.  I can only speculate here, but it seems, small sellers with new product, get lumped in with the giants, so all the rules and regs., are made to "one size fits all".  Ebay expects these sellers can eat the losses, if any, with the possible coming return policies.  Unless they make different policies for different seller levels, the small guy will lose.

As for me and my few old bits and pieces, I'm largely invisible, no views and no sales. So I don't have to worry about returns. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Yeah, I pretty much do these things already BUT not all of these tools are available to all sellers. Like Promotions Manager.

Quote:

4. Use promotions to convert the increased traffic we’re sending your way into more sales.

I'd love to use promotions to convert the increased traffic they’re sending my way into more sales.

When again is it scheduled for release on eBay Canada?

Message 17 of 17
latest reply