Moving From .ca to .com

Forgive me .... I know this topic has been raised many times but I don't find the Search option on the Boards very helpful and I was looking for one particular thread.

I've given the .ca/CAD a six-month trial and it just isn't working on my media account.  For the last quarter of 2016, my sales were 40% lower than the same period the previous two years.  For the first quarter of this year, my sales were 50% lower than the previous two years when I listed primarily in USD.  And it doesn't have anything to do with the exchange rate because our dollar was even lower this time last year.  And .... about 80% of my sales are those listed on .com in USD.  I have quite a few Canadian buyers but even they are purchasing from .com.

Currently, I have about 60 listings on .com and 200 on .ca, with another 200 approximately to list.  So now begins the arduous journey of moving all these listings to .com.  I recall, as many of you do, how long it took to convert our USD listings to CAD and, to do it again, makes me wearing just thinking about it.  The migration tool was available to move USD listings from .ca to .com, although I read that a lot of people were less than pleased with its functionality.  But it doesn't work for moving CAD listings.  Did anyone along the way find a shortcut or an organized way to move CAD listings to .com?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Moving From .ca to .com

I list in both currencies and don't really notice much of a difference in my categories.

But my reason for choosing one or the other is bulk.

If an item can ship LetterPost/Light Packet (less than 500 gr/ less than 2cm) it goes on dotCOM where I use Flat Rate and usually Free Shipping.

Larger items that have to use Parcel services go on dotCA, because once we add distance to the parameters for the service, Flat Rate is impossible for me.

The one thing I have noticed over the past few years*,is that I am getting more European orders than I used to. I think this may be because Canadian sellers don't use the Global Shipping Program and therefore customers who have been burnt by that (urinating dog/ urinating dog/ urinating dog -- to quote Sir Terry Pratchett) service find our postage costs more reasonable than our American cousins.

This however is anecdote, not data.

* I closed my listings in Summer 2014 and did not reopen them until Fall, because we moved from Ottawa to Victoria.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply