My discovery/experience, shopping methods

Whilst continuing the arduous year-end book keeping efforts, I discovered something else I had not noticed before, so I thought I'd share this too, in-case others hadn't noticed either.

Remember I am a "stamp guy" other categories could be wildly different results.

This came from my PAYPAL download and it is in the "Type" field. 

83% of my sales were "Express Checkout Payment Received' 

11% of my sales were "Mobile Express Checkout Payment Received"

5% of my sales were "Shopping Cart Payment Received"

1% of my sales were "Update to eCheck Received"

This probably explains a few things:

-I generally have not been experiencing the "shopping cart woes" I've noticed others experiencing, it looks like that is because I don't have many buyers using the shopping cart

-I'm presuming the mobile express designates folks using their phone. Interesting that it is 11%. It will be interesting to see what it changes to next year.

-I knew that I did not get many echeques but this was good to know (it was actually only half a percent, but I had to round up to get the total to 100%) I don't like getting echeques so hopefully this number stays low!

If I find myself bored or procrastinating sometime, I may go back and compare prior years, I am most interested to know what the mobile number was last year.

Also, if I am misunderstanding what these are, please let me know!!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Thank you for posting these details, quite interesting.  I hadn't thought to take notice of the source of my Paypal payments, but I will now.  

As for procrastinating, etc., I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who dislikes (intensely!) doing my year-end bookkeeping.  I basically have to stop everything else for 2 or 3 days, but haven't started the process yet (too busy trying to earn money).  You're way ahead of me - best of luck with your paperwork!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi Rose! Book keeping time is a very productive time for me for everything else because just about anything is better and I'm easily distracted from it!

This year I'm trying to do a couple hours book keeping then "earning money" things to spread the pain out...... so far it is working......
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Interesting! It is possible that the mobile purchases are not only from a phone but also from a tablet. I know I use my iPad quite often to purchase and sometimes when I'm using my cellular network instead of my internet at home.

I'm trying not to procrastinate about my year end work and trying to do a little each day or so too! The end of April comes faster each year.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Considering that the most active philatelists have tended to be older men with money to spend, I'm actually a bit surprised that 'mobile' sales were as high as 11%.

But then;

I realized that we Boomers invented the internet and computers and have been working with them for 30 years or more, so why not.

Younger collectors, who are your future long-term customers, would be using the mobiles more, like most of their generation.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi Femme! Yes I too did not expect so many. I did take a quick look and I would say from a glancing at it perspective that a significantly higher % of them are from outside north america - ie the mobile % rate of the international buyers is higher than the rate amongst north americans - which probably makes sense.

Given somewhere around 35% of sales are outside north america, that pushes the overall number up a bit.

I have also identified a number of situations where buyers are conversing with me on the train/subway/bus on their way to/from work, so that may be another reason for it increasing as well...
Message 6 of 6
latest reply