Need Sellers' Advice on Two Questions - Offers and Refund Terms

If I make offers that the seller refuses, can I still buy the item at the seller's original asking price or am I SOL? I read the support docs on Best Offers but it doesn't mention this.

Also, if there is no refund policy mentioned and I might need to return the item, am I SOL if the policy is not in the listing? The company that runs the listing said they charge a restocking fee if I order directly off their website. But the listing says nothing about restocking fees or anything. The item is used but no comments are made about returns.

Sellers do you have to put your terms on your listing or as buyers do we assume we cannot return an item unless it tells us we can? This is the first time I have seen a listing without return or refund terms.

Thanks kindly

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If you click on the shipping and payments tab within the listing and scroll down, you should see a return policy between the shipping info and payment details.  If they don't mention a restocking fee than they can't charge for one. A restocking fee is not supposed to be applicable if you are returning the item because it was not as described.

Their email says they don't look at their contact messages on Ebay.....so that's why I didn't get a response.

I might hesitate to deal with a seller that won't look at their messages.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your straightforward and helpful response. Answered my question!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If your original offer was rejected, why not just make another offer much closer to the seller's asking price?  

If the seller has no return policy, you may be covered by Paypal/eBay, under certain conditions, whether the seller accepts returns or not (sellers aren't yet obligated to accept returns, but in reality they sometimes have to anyway, if an item is not as described or never arrives).  

Are you going to be paying by Paypal?  What is the approximate value you're looking at? These things are important to know before a proper answer to your question can be given. 

Alternatively, find the same or similar item at a similar price by a seller who does have a return policy stated in the listing. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi!

Ebay says I have up to 3 offers for a single item. I don't intend on making an insulting offer. Just wondering what would happen if I exhausted all the offers. Can I still buy the item at the original asking price.

The item isn't costly. The shipping is, because it's a heavy item. I don't think the shipping is that unreasonable but the item is just a part to fix a bike. The part is hard to find so there aren't others listed on Ebay right now.

As to the other item, I don't particularly see a problem with it. I have not had to return an item before now and I've been on Ebay for about 14 years. But I always check listings out carefully. That's when I noticed there was no terms of return or refund.

So I contacted the actual company. That's when they mentioned the restock fee. I guess what I am asking is if there is no mention of a restock fee on the listing, can the seller impose one after the fact? Can they refuse to refund or accept a return if they don't have the words, 'No returns or refunds" on the listing. The second item is another part which has limited info so I am not sure if it will be the exact match. The company doesn't know either unfortunately. They sell parts but don't have all the info. Based on my research I think it will be ok but want to know what recourse I have if it isn't. I originally messaged the seller to ask about the part and got no answer, which is why I googled the company advertised on the listing. Their email says they don't look at their contact messages on Ebay.....so that's why I didn't get a response.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"Just wondering what would happen if I exhausted all the offers. "

I do not know as I do not use the "Make an Offer" function in my listings.

However, if I were the seller and I had a potential buyer wasting my time on three occasions to save a few cents on a low priced item, I would simply add his name to my "blocked bidders" list.

That's me.  Others may feel differently and do not mind wasting their time "bargaining" or "haggling" to get a small sale.

Different strokes for different folks.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Just wondering what would happen if I exhausted all the offers. Can I still buy the item at the original asking price.

Yes

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If you click on the shipping and payments tab within the listing and scroll down, you should see a return policy between the shipping info and payment details.  If they don't mention a restocking fee than they can't charge for one. A restocking fee is not supposed to be applicable if you are returning the item because it was not as described.

Their email says they don't look at their contact messages on Ebay.....so that's why I didn't get a response.

I might hesitate to deal with a seller that won't look at their messages.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have to say that I 

I do not know as I do not use the "Make an Offer" function in my listings.

However, if I were the seller and I had a potential buyer wasting my time on three occasions to save a few cents on a low priced item, I would simply add his name to my "blocked bidders" list.

I find your response offensive. How do you know I am wasting time on a 'few cents'? This may not be the only 'Best Offer' item I ever bid on. What if I was bidding on something in the hundreds or even  thousands of dollars? Am I not entitled to haggle with a seller who accepts offers? And the Ebay allows 3 offers to be made. If you think that would be a waste of your time, then no, certainly do not ever use the offer feature and inconvenience buyers.

I'm really not sure why you responded since you admit you don't use it in your listings. Your reply was not at all helpful, and actually very presumptuous and rude. I guess being seller that has a high number makes some sellers think they're above manners after a while...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your straightforward and helpful response. Answered my question!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Good point. Was thinking about that, myself. I didn't see a return policy in the location you specified. Thank you for your response about the restocking.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"What if I was bidding on something in the hundreds or even  thousands of dollars? "

Your original post stated: "The item isn't costly"

My comment was based on that remark.  Obviously things are different with an expensive item.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply