New Advanced Listing Tool Announced

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/04/18/7973/

It acknowledges deletion of watermarks on photos, then says all seller photos will be automatically eligible for use in eBay's Product Catalogue unless the seller opts out. Then provides instructions that don't exist. 

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

@dutchman48 wrote:

Unless you want to have all your pictures copyrighted, Ebay can do as they please with them as you put them on a public domain.

That's true; however, you've done such a good job with your pictures.  They're wonderful.  Now if someone found a bunch of old coins in their late grandfather's desk drawer and decided to sell them, they could swipe your pictures which is perfectly legal on eBay but, no doubt, you would be a little ticked off.  Maybe not .... I know I would.  I hope it doesn't happen.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't trust any so-called new tools by eBay anymore.  They have screwed us with the pre-filled information and stock photo the last 6 months and now eBay is having another tool, as if!

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

Case in point: Tuesday "attempting" to list. I put in UPC code, watch wheel spin approx. 3 min. scroll back to top of the page to deselect ebay pre fill, as I always do when the code actually works, and all the pre fill info. is for a CD. I'm not even listing a CD. Just wondering, if I hadn't de-selected and the item sold. When the buyer received it could they file an item not as described. Take into account many buyers don't read the listing, look at picture and decide. Probably, as "seller assumes all responsibility for listing" This would be cause for more banging head against the wall.
Listed a few more items, put in title, red bar "you have entered an invalid UPC .... no, I entered the title with no upc in the title, I'm not even down the page yet to the upc box. Scroll down, cancel, try again same thing, 3X. I have to literally log out of ebay completely, log back in and try again, which worked. I have "shared" with them that I would be listing far more if the system actually worked and I wasn't having to think of work arounds for their broken site ... they are sorry. I am on a Mac also
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick note to let you all know that we ran the migration for the new Advanced Listing tool yesterday afternoon, so most sellers should see it live on the site at this point.  There are some exceptions to the rule - for instance, sellers who have listed vehicles in the past 3 months - but for the most part the Advanced Tool should be live on the site.  

You can find the Advanced Listing tool by clicking on Sell in the top navigation.  If you are in the Simple Listing flow, you can click on the link on the top right to switch to the Advanced Listing flow to try it out.

Couple of notes based on the above threads:

- The Advanced Listing tool has been live for some Canadian sellers on eBay.ca and eBay.com for some time now, so this experience may not be new to some of you.  For instance, we migrated all sellers who did not have $USD listings in their accounts over to the new Advanced Listing tool a few months ago when we retired USD on eBay.ca.  

- The option to switch between Advanced and Simple Listing flows has been included with the migration.  However, the link is unavailable for anyone who has a Seller Manager / Pro, Seller Hub, Site In A Box subscription, or who is a B2C seller.  The Advanced Listing tool provides additional features that are more pertinent to these sellers.

- Regarding the image sharing opt-out policy, unfortunately this feature was never rolled out for Canadian sellers.  There was an error in the roll out of the policy and the US seller policy was copied over to the Canadian site without the explanation that it only applies to US sellers using the eBay.ca site.  As of right now, there are currently no plans to roll out the opt-out to Canada.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy using the new tool.  Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.  As always, thanks for selling on eBay!

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

Hi mjwl2006,

I looked into your account and you are right - you have been using the new Advanced Tool for a while now. We migrated some sellers over to the new tool when we retired USD listings on eBay.ca. Sellers who did not have USD listings in their account were automatically migrated to the new tool that at that point.
Message 45 of 57
latest reply

Hi mjwl2006.

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the image opt-in policy. Unfortunately, as you indicated, this option was not made available to Canadian sellers when it went live several years ago. The policy on the eBay.ca site was not clear in pointing out that it was only available to US sellers, so I am sorry for the confusion.

There are currently no plans to make this option available to Canadian sellers. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the inability to opt out of photo sharing. Our goal is to make selling easier for everyone, and the photo sharing aspect is one that is intended to simplify the listing process for all sellers who are listing standardized items (for instance phones).

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for continuing to sell on eBay!
Message 46 of 57
latest reply

Hi sistersweird,

You can designate which site the listing will be uploaded to by specifying your shipping options.  If you list on eBay.ca, your listing will appear on that same site.  If you want to list on eBay.com as well, just specify that you ship to the US in the listing flow and your listing will appear on eBay.com as well.

As for creating listing in advance, you can always list an item and then "Save for Later" and manually list when the time is right, or you can schedule your listing to go live when you like (with a small additional fee.)  You can also create templates in the new Advanced Listing tool, if you are looking to create several similar listings in the future.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.  Thanks for selling on eBay!

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Unless you want to have all your pictures copyrighted, Ebay can do as they please with them as you put them on a public domain.

That's true; however, you've done such a good job with your pictures.  They're wonderful.  Now if someone found a bunch of old coins in their late grandfather's desk drawer and decided to sell them, they could swipe your pictures which is perfectly legal on eBay but, no doubt, you would be a little ticked off.  Maybe not .... I know I would.  I hope it doesn't happen.

I have too many other things to worry about. If they want my pictures, so be it. I even has someone sell my exact item and Ebay could care less.

I have to scan and crop to list my items to sell. What happens to the images once the item sells? File 13, hence why I don't care. If I was a professional and selling my pictures, it would be different, but then I would copyright them.

There is a big difference in being a good photographer and being a professional one!

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

Hi lexiluxe_1.

Hope you are well today.  Sorry if the communication about the Advanced Listing tool was unclear.  We migrated sellers over to the new listing tool yesterday pm.  The change was made on our systems - there is nothing for you to do.  That said, I looked into your account and it doesn't appear that you were migrated over in the process. I am currently looking into why that is the case and will let you know when you should have access to the tool.

The Advanced Listing tool doesn't specifically allow for bulk listing editing.  In order to do that you will need a subscription to Selling Manager / Selling Manager Pro.  

Hope this helps - I will let you know when I have an answer on the listing tool on your account.  Thanks for selling on eBay!

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@qottie wrote:

There are currently no plans to make this option available to Canadian sellers. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the inability to opt out of photo sharing. Our goal is to make selling easier for everyone, and the photo sharing aspect is one that is intended to simplify the listing process for all sellers who are listing standardized items (for instance phones).

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for continuing to sell on eBay!

Why are Canadian sellers so unique they are not entitled to the same protections as US sellers? As someone who pays ebay over $10,000 a year in selling fees (this is not my main selling account) I would appreciate some elaboration on the matter rather than the usual we know what is best for you talking point, although I understand with the SDI ebay would want free photos to fuel the program.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:
Why are Canadian sellers so unique they are not entitled to the same protections as US sellers?

Because the USA has 15 times as many lawyers per capita than Canada?

I generally don't mind my images being "shared" -- but that position of eBay of giving me no choice in the matter does increase my desire to mark all my images.  There are a lot of websites out their (not just eBay) that have free image usage buried in the fine print -- but usually one policy for all.

-..-

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

Hi hlmacdon,

I appreciate your perspective and feedback. As a member of the eBay.ca team, I can assure you that we are doing our best to try to align the US and CA seller experience as much as possible.

In some cases, we are able to launch features on both sites at the same time, but often there are logistical reasons (ie. partnerships, performance testing, site infrastructure, regulatory concerns, etc.) that prevent us from launching at the same as the US. Unfortunately, sometimes that means CA launches get delayed or slip through the cracks, primarily since (as ypdc_dennis pointed out), we are quite a small market compared to the US and other global sites.

Ultimately our goal is to give you the same experience on both sides of the border. We appreciate your continued patience as we try to get there!

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

This reply contradicts your reply to message #46 of this thread.

You seem to be monitoring the boards and making replies.   How about re-starting the Weekly Chat Session?  Many sellers have been anxiously awaiting its return.  What is the ETA for this?  Re-start was promised for the week of March 20, with nary a whisper from eBay Canada since then.  Is there a problem?  

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

@qottie wrote:

Hi hlmacdon,

I appreciate your perspective and feedback. As a member of the eBay.ca team, I can assure you that we are doing our best to try to align the US and CA seller experience as much as possible.

In some cases, we are able to launch features on both sites at the same time, but often there are logistical reasons (ie. partnerships, performance testing, site infrastructure, regulatory concerns, etc.) that prevent us from launching at the same as the US. Unfortunately, sometimes that means CA launches get delayed or slip through the cracks, primarily since (as  we are quite a small market compared to the US and other global sites.

Ultimately our goal is to give you the same experience on both sides of the border. We appreciate your continued patience as we try to get there!

I can appreciate the need for the generalized PR spin here, but as Canadian sellers we are all too used to hearing this every time a feature is conveniently missing from eBay Canada or just plain broken and the result just coincidentally happens to work out in eBay's favor. Add to cart not functioning? Not a priority to fix as we collect extra final value fees we don't refund to you! As a seller it gets to the point to where it is extremely patronizing when that is the excuse that is rolled out every time, on every issue. 

When you state that "There are currently no plans to make this option available to Canadian sellers. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the inability to opt out of photo sharing" it is pretty clear that this is a conscientious decision made for a very specific reason. That reason should be explained to sellers when there is a fundamental difference as in a case like this and it is not a simple “experience” or “feature” issue. This is an issue where one group gets to decide how their content is used and another doesn't. We've seen a steady erosion in this area, from being able to report a seller using your content to having that removed, to eBay providing the ability to add watermarks and having that removed, to being forced to jump through the vero hoops. It really doesn’t help when the images and text policy states that “You may want to use watermarks or other identifiers to deter picture theft by other sellers” and the advanced listing tool faq landing page states “Use of photo watermarks has been on the decline, and has not been shown to improve selling success. Additionally, we've changed our images and text policy, which eliminates the need to include photo watermarks” Where is the consistency? 

The "Canada is too small to get dev resources" talking point is really starting to wear thin with Canadian sellers. We get that eBay is fine with churn in sellers (but not churn in buyers for some strange reason), but eBay should stop and consider what the lifetime value to eBay that a seller represents in monetary terms. It gets to the point where it is just plain insulting that you are told over and over things just fall through the cracks around here and Canada is too small a market for things to get addressed in a timely or meaningful manner. In effect you are telling your highest paying customers (sellers in general) that they don’t matter and it is somehow our fault for living in a smaller market that can't get the latest intern dev to spend a few hours implementing a fix or feature. It seems like this is an eBay Canada team talking point as we hear it consistently from whomever replies, and it may be that said team is just reiterating their collective frustration at the lack of support from corporate, but please take some time as a team to consider how it feels as a Canadian seller to be told we aren't a priority. From having worked in the retail sector, I can tell you I would have run the risk of being fired as a vendor by a retailer if I said that to them.

Canadian sellers haven’t had a dedicated resource to discuss issues of this nature since Raphael’s departure last year. Given it is nearly the half year anniversary of said departure, perhaps it would be a good time to restart that. In the meantime I look forward to dev resources being deployed to implement such useful features as appending the item condition text to the item description text as that is really going to meaningfully increase my sales conversion rate.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

This New Seller listing Tool is a absolute dissaster!!!! I have reverted back to the previous Tool on the Ebay.ca site but cannot revert back to the previous listing tool on the Ebay.com site. I am no longer listing new items on the Ebay.com site becuase of the total confusion of the Tool. Please guide me to get back to the old tool on the Ebay.com site so I can continue listing. Ty.

g1v2d3

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

@g1v2d3 wrote:

This New Seller listing Tool is a absolute dissaster!!!! I have reverted back to the previous Tool on the Ebay.ca site but cannot revert back to the previous listing tool on the Ebay.com site. I am no longer listing new items on the Ebay.com site becuase of the total confusion of the Tool. Please guide me to get back to the old tool on the Ebay.com site so I can continue listing. Ty.

g1v2d3

This discussion will most likely be shut down shortly being it is a zombie thread from 2017. 

I just went to edit a current listing and was drop kicked into the new listing tool. So appears it's a done deal with no official announcement.  Join the very unimpressed crowd.

-Lotz

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

@g1v2d3 

You tacked on to a ZOMBIE thread from 2017 -- the "new" then is now the current "old".

Message 57 of 57
latest reply