New Category Exclusions are Ridiculous

When did eBay change the free listing category exclusions? They make a ton of money, but change the exclusions to exclude 2 of the most used categories. It is pathetic.

I have been listing in Toys and Dolls categories for years with the free insertion, and now suddenly, I can't. I am getting a bit annoyed with selling on eBay.

Between this and how much I lose in fees between eBay and Paypal, I am beginning to wonder if this is even worth it anymore for small time sellers. I lose 1/4 of all my money made in a listing to fees.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Each and everyone one of the promotions offered  are a test by eBay.

eBay wants a lot of ... What If?... questions answered.

It is my understanding  that eBay is looking for a listing option where the emphasis is on a fee for a number of listings....  and not a fee for each listing.

We already have a number of free listings associated with sellers ... whether it be no store, or with one of the three levels of a store.

The number of listings on eBay continues to rise..... A time will come when eBay's ability to handle millions and millions and then millions more of listings  will be surpassed

Today many sellers  focus on one category..... 

The question becomes... How many listings  should a seller be allowed in a store  and for how much in fees.... This number may differ by category

In some categories it is very easy to define what the maximum allowable number of listings should be... Limited by the availability of that inventory throughout North America... while in other categories....  there could be a limitless availability of inventory.

eBay is constantly looking to the future....

As sellers  we must adapt to the reality of eBay... 

When a seller has access to a promo... it should be used effectively.

For... in the future... such a promo may become a reality for every day use.

One should always remember...  eBay's  "total" income will not drop with each adjustment  associated with an update....

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Many, many years ago  someone came to eBay  and started selling... without restriction.

Today a new seller has limits on how much they can sell  and in each category..

and.. Only after a seller has proved what they can do are the limits raised..

Sellers who have been for many... and many more years must continue to prove  that they can sell effectively and in an acceptable manner on eBay...... The rules  we see with each new update....

Burt then you say... What about the buyers....

May come to buy... but even with buyers,,, There are rules...We may not see the rules applied...

But if you look at things such as Report a Buyer.....problem buyers will get identified....

and...then if you look closely at the new Defect system....  Buyers  that continually misuse  the system of buying    will also be identified....

We hear about the sellers that leave... but how many buyers have been told... "Good-bye".... and there must be many.

Bad buyers.... Too many neutrals left... Too many Negatives left....  Too many cases opened....

and the same can apply to seller... However, with sellers that comes from many buyers.

But for a buyer... It is all from ONE buyer.

These are the updates..

Now we have the new realities of Promos..... and when will the basis of promos be  there ....everyday... always  and for all sellers ... but in relation to each category.

The time will come....

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Well, SB, that is not how it works. You are using the system for free, only paying "if" you sell anything. No risk or cost to you as eBay absorbs all the costs.

The price of free is restricted services. eBay is moving, gradually, to a full user pay site. You want full access, full services, etc? Pay for it.

I don't think eBay makes any profit from their online division. I think that is a loss leader to get people into the system and using eBay and other products.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

This was announced in May, and came into effect the beginning of June.  You  can still list for free in the Toys and Dolls category, but now you need to list in an auction format.  You have 50 free listings per month for that, and an additional 50 free listings in the auctions-only categories, or Buy It Now in the other categories.  With each listing, you may qualify to have it renewed 3 times without a listing fee or the use of your free listings (I'm not sure if everyone receives that offer on the listing form).  That's 28 days total.  The promos have been offering 10 day auctions at no additional fee, so with 3 renewals, that gives you free exposure for 40 days.  And with 30 day Buy It Now listings, that's 4 months total.

eBay claims that items sell better in auction format in the categories that are auction-only for non-store owners.  Maybe and maybe not, it is more probable that they would like everyone to open a store.  However, bottom line is that you still have the opportunity to list in your category, but now only in auction format, and that you can now list 100 free auctions per month with (perhaps) the automatic free renewals - that seems like more than was available in the past.

Also, if are you are truly "losing" 25% of your profit, perhaps you should be re-calculating your cost of doing business and adjusting your asking price (or auction start price) to arrive at a profit margin that is acceptable to you.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Difficult to analyze the OP's position as this must be a posting ID. They have six (6) sale FB in the last two years. Sample size is too small.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It strikes me that if a seller can't make money when selling with fees, then he should regard eBay as a hobby, not as an income stream.

Or raise his asking price to cover his actual costs.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I agree with all of "msmaggie's" comments, and would also point out that a number of recent promos have included the "Buy It Now" option in auctions for the otherwise restricted categories.  I've used this on a number of occasions to offer buyers an alternative to the "pure" auction format, since many of my categories are restricted in these promos.

Remember too that offering even a few items every time there is a promotion available to you may help the overall traffic to your store, and generate other sales as well, so it's still worth doing, in my opinion, even if you dislike running auctions (as I do). 

'cumos'  raises some very interesting points -- I've always believed that there's more to these promos than eBay just being generous.  No doubt eBay is running these promos as a sort of general survey, to feel out the interest, on the part of both buyers and sellers, in different styles of listings and different categories of products. 

Who knows - eBay may even be doing these "survey promos" at the behest of one or more of their particularly important sellers, to test the market in various ways.  But that sort of knowledge is beyond the ken of any of us ordinary mortals on this site...Woman Happy

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Mr. Elwood - eBay nets 3 billion dollars a year. They are definitely making money on this. I think they take enough in fees if you sell, that listing normally without add ons like bold, etc. could be free and they wouldn't lose money. It seems like every year as more and more people use ebay, they get more restrictive and the fees go up.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

eBay nets no such thing. Their profit is almost all from Paypal and other endeavors.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You really need to look at a copy of their annual financials. If you really think they don't make this kind of money..........

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Straight from the financials - eBay reaching $22 billion and PayPal hitting $27 billion in 2013
Message 12 of 12
latest reply