New Listing Promo List 3,000 items Fixed Priced listings March 2-6

I will try and get the link posted shortly.........

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I'm testing using sell similar, seem works:)

Capture.JPG

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@asiahhijab wrote:

I'm testing using sell similar, seem works:)

Hmm, that's odd.  Still, I'd be careful  -- remember how eBay got the billing totally wrong on previous promos, so that people were paying for things they shouldn't have been.  

We could find out after using "sell similar" for dozens of items that eBay has suddenly realized its mistake and may charge us for all those items on our next billing cycle.  I think I'm going to stick to the stated restrictions on the promo, just to be safe.  No sense ending up paying extra for a "free" promo that isn't. 

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

"eBay has suddenly realized its mistake"

As I stated earlier, I think the "mistake" is not in using "sell similar" but the wording used by eBay in the promotion information page.

I expect eBay wants to avoid sellers using the "sell similar" function to list unsold items.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I expect eBay wants to avoid sellers using the "sell similar" function to list unsold items.

Yes, as I said earlier, I completely agree.  I assume they want to get fresh inventory on the site, not the stuff that's already been shown not to sell.

What I meant by "realize their mistake" was that eBay has previously made errors in billing sellers for promo listings.   I'm doubtful that the fact that the poster above was able to get her Sell Similar "test" listing to show up as free on her promo counter means that it really will be free and that she really won't be billed for it.  I'm personally not going to make that leap of faith. 

I don't think it has anything to do with the wording in the promotion, but in making the promotion actually work in accordance with the terms and restrictions set out on the promotional information page.  I don't recall eBay ever restricting "sell similar" before, so someone probably forgot to update the programming that is linked to that restriction in this promo.  

Again, lack of proper checking and proofreading I suppose -- just recall the mess they made of the last couple of promos. 

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the unsold items do often get sold like I did 2 days with 5 items.  eBay needs to "mind their own businesses" if we choose to use unsold items as they do get sold and eBay gets the final value fees, so what is the problems with eBay???

Anything, any way we do with our items is our businesses not eBay.  Unless they pay us to post our items!  Smile!!

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

You have a good point, but since this is a (supposedly) free listing promo, eBay gets to set the rules.  

On the other hand, when I'm paying out of my own pocket to list on this site, I agree with you that it's not for eBay to tell me which of my items may or may not sell.  

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It often is so hard to offer my items at  Buy It Now with Make offers with free shipping.  Too often, they think they can make very low offers which is not ideal as I need to cover the "free shipping" costs.  Sometimes I don't like to list my items at BIN without make offer include.

I was told by eBay that I can do Buy It Now with Make Offers with free shipping and that I can include "free shipping with buy it now" in my listings.  Some buyers don't read the listings fully and got upset when they get invoices with shipping costs not with "free shipping".  It can be frustrating.

I like to offer BIN with make offer but tough with free shipping.  Anyone have experiences in that area?

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I use BIN with Make Offer quite a lot, often with very low (or free) shipping.  In order to avoid nasty surprises I always set the "Make Offer" options so that I must respond manually to every offer. 

That way, if I get an offer that is too low to justify the free shipping, I can counter-offer to make up for the shortfall.  When you counter-offer you also get to include a brief message, so you can "bargain" in person with the buyer.  

For example, with an item listed at, say $200 BIN with free shipping and Make Offer, if I know the shipping will cost me $25 and I get an offer of, say, $140, then I might counter-offer at $155 to cover part of my shipping cost (without saying so to the buyer of course!).

There is always a risk involved with BIN+Make Offer if you set automatic rejections too high or too low, but you can practically eliminate this problem if you have the time and inclination to review each offer personally and make counter-offers.  I've found that a reasonable counter-offer is almost always accepted by the buyer. 

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Is there an actual difference between 'relist' and 'sell similar'? I have only used each one or two times and I didn't see anything different.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

@kcgwynne wrote:

Is there an actual difference between 'relist' and 'sell similar'? I have only used each one or two times and I didn't see anything different.

There isn't any difference in the look of the listing itself, except of course that you can't just press a button to "sell similar" (i.e. you have to check that the photos, price, shipping, etc. are all correct for the new item).  

Many sellers have been claiming that by using "Sell Similar" rather than the easier "Relist" to relist unsold items, you get better visibility for the listing because it is in effect, a new listing.  Obviously this must be true at least to some extent or eBay wouldn't have excluded "Sell Similar" from this promotion ("Sell Similar" makes it easier to just recycle old, unsold listings as if they were newly listed items).  What they want from this promotion is fresh inventory I would assume.  

Some things on eBay get confirmed by default...

Message 30 of 34
latest reply

I too am able to use the free listing promo with "sell similar", just listed 179 items with the promo. I offer free shipping to Canada on most of my items, except a couple larger items, those larger items were not covered by the promo. Also, don't forget to accept/activate the offer before you list, which is under "selling manager" for those who don't know.

I didn't get an email from ebay about this promo, I rarely do get emails about promos. It's always good to check your "selling manager" about once a week to see if there are any promos offered, or check the boards often as some members post info about the promos, that's how I found out about this one and some others, I'm grateful for that!

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

I too am able to use the free listing promo with "sell similar", just listed 179 items with the promo. 

Well, let's hope eBay doesn't realize their error, and end up charging us for all those "sell similar" listings later.  I just tested one, and it came up on my promo freebie counter too, so this contradicts what was in the promo announcement. 

I think I'm going to ask this question tomorrow at the Wed. session before I list a whole lot of items using "sell similar".  I suspect this is another case of the left hand at eBay not knowing what the right hand is doing.  

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

I have most of my .com listings on 30 day cycle, so I use "list similar item" when they close. When I do that, they are coming up on this new promo rather than the 500 free listings I get in more store. I don't have a choice, when I list in "sell similar" which I also so in my new listings, they come up in the promo. I do not offer free listing either. I will be very upset if I am charged for these later when I didn't even choose this option when I sell similar items.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Unfortunately, this promotional offer is by invitation only.

Alright, nothing interesting to see here, time to move on... no wonder I didn't get an e-mail and didn't notice this thread until now lol. Smiley Indifferent But well I did get the FP promo last week so it was good enough for me. 

Glad to see that someone posted that "sell similar" still works. It'd be a pain for me if I can't use sell similar, because when I have new books to sell, I simply use sell similar, change the photos, the item descriptions in the listing, keep everything else, and viola done. Doing brand new listings would require me to spend an extra few minutes to copy and paste from old listings...... 

Message 34 of 34
latest reply