New PayPal Requirements for Refund

I purchased a Swarovski tiara and the seller sent it in a used bubble mailer.  The flowers on top  got all bent out of shape.  I filed "Item Not As Described" claim.  Response was that if Seller does not respond by June 23rd, I would get my refund.  Seller did not respond.  The claim was extended.  I was told to ship back and provide tracking number but the Claim was again extended.  This happened twice.  Finally I caught it before they extended it again, shipped it back and provided tracking number.  Now I received this email:

We need your help confirming your shipment was delivered to your seller's address. We need proof of shipping that clearly shows the address to which the package was delivered.

Proof of shipping is a physical document or online verification from your shipping company that includes the shipping date and the address to which the package was sent. The documents must include a postmark or some other proof of acceptance. The most commonly accepted proof of shipment is a copy of your shipping label that shows the postmark.

Supplying Your Documents to PayPal

Unfortunately, we cannot accept email attachments.

If the upload feature is available in your PayPal account, we encourage you to upload your documents, as it's usually the quickest way for us to receive and review your information. 

Here's how to upload your inform

Is this the  new rule?  I am so sick and tired of this.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You should call eBay.

The seller should have provided you with a shipping label to return the item, and the reason for the first extension would have been to allow the seller time to do so.  (10 days).

If the seller failed to do so eBay would have refunded without requiring a return.

The only reason for a different scenario would have been if the seller contested the INADed case and won.

Call them.

P.S.  Did you file a paypal or eBay claim.  I just saw that paypal wants the documents and not eBay.  That's a little different.

Another P.S.:  I have to wonder if this will become a new issue now that we can't use paypal shipping for returns?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I wish I could delete my previous post because I see now that this was a paypal case, and not eBay.

Is this an issue related to the fact that we can't buy on line paypal shipping labels for returns any longer?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The documents must include a postmark or some other proof of acceptance. The most commonly accepted proof of shipment is a copy of your shipping label that shows the postmark.

What!!!

Is the tracking number and its associated info no longer acceptable?  This is confusing.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would the artificial flowers not bend back into shape?  Of so, I would not have been so fussy and just arranged and smoothed/bent them back if they were wire/silk ones.  If they were totally destroyed, ok, yes that would be different.  So, could they have been manually fixed by hand? 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

That's odd that they would ask for proof of shipment. It almost sounds as if they will refund once you have proven that you shipped the item instead of waiting until it is delivered.  I would phone and ask them to look at the canada post site at the tracking number. If it has been scanned at some point showing that it has been shipped, I would hope that would be enough. 

Next time you might want to file through ebay MBG as then the seller would be required to pay return shipping and the process is fairly automated.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Would the artificial flowers not bend back into shape?  Of so, I would not have been so fussy and just arranged and smoothed/bent them back if they were wire/silk ones.  If they were totally destroyed, ok, yes that would be different.  So, could they have been manually fixed by hand? 

Its a Swarovski tiara, not made with artificial flowers.  Any attempt to bend them back will result in breakage.  Even my jeweler could not fix it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Now I understand why this is required.  The tiara came back today marked "unknown address".  Its the same address PayPal gave me and also the return address on the original shipment.  I had nothing but problems with this seller.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

Now I understand why this is required.  The tiara came back today marked "unknown address".  Its the same address PayPal gave me and also the return address on the original shipment.  I had nothing but problems with this seller.

Hmm... Have you got a fly-by-night seller or do you think he/she refused the parcel and asked the postie to mark it "unknown address" (has been known to happen) to avoid making a refund on a product she couldn't possibly re-sell?  If so, it's a new wrinkle, and a new low in seller behaviour.  

This is the problem -- eBay plugs one hole, thinking it's solved the whole problem (in this case, of returns) and people inevitably find a way to get around it.  

Is the seller NARU?  Even if not, I think I'd take this up with eBay customer service (or Raphael perhaps?), especially if the address was shown on Paypal and the original return.  How are you supposed to confirm an address that now apparently doesn't exist?

Yikes.  Best of luck with this!  Please let us know the outcome.  I'd like to think eBay would do the right thing by you (and others who may encounter the same sort of situation).   

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I finally got my money back today.  PayPal found in my favor.  Took 2 months.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply