New Paypal return policy

This came off a board I belong to. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

New PayPal Policy: SELLER pays return shipping!

Just read this.....

With 88% of online shoppers saying they would be more likely to shop online if they were offered a free return shipping service?1 we’re excited to announce the launch of our Refunded Return Shipping pilot.
You can improve customer confidence and drive sales by promoting this service. Simply add our return shipping banners to your website to let your customers know about this great opportunity.

What is PayPal’s Refunded Return Shipping pilot?

PayPal’s Refunded Return Shipping lets your customers claim a refund on their shipping costs if they need to return an item to you. During the pilot phase they can enjoy up to 4 refunds to the value of $45 each until 31 July 2015. See terms and conditions.

To be eligible, customers must activate the service at paypal.com.au/returns before completing their purchase using their PayPal account. Don’t forget, if you purchase online using your PayPal account you can also opt into the service using the above link.

How this service will benefit your business.

Research has shown that customers who are offered a free return shipping service increase their future spending at that merchant by 158%-457%. Conversely, those who have to pay for returns decrease their future spending with that merchant by 75%-100%.2

Promote Refunded Return Shipping to increase customer confidence.

Let your customers know they can shop with confidence by displaying our refunded return shipping banners on your website.

There are absolutely no costs involved for your business to promote this great service. To get started, click the “Download Banners Now” button below and add the banner source code to your website.

There are three sizes to choose from, so you can pick the banners that best suit your website:
728x90 pixels
300x250 pixels
160x600 pixels

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

New Paypal return policy

No, I haven't read about it but it looks like it is an optional program just for Australian Paypal users.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

I couldn't find it on PayPal Canada, this seems to be only on PayPal.eu and PayPal.au.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

Good grief, let's hope they don't decide to introduce this here.  

Mind you, I recall that Hassle Free Returns were mentioned as eventually coming to eBay.ca -- that's essentially the same thing, so we may end up dealing with it whether we like it or not. 

Incidentally, I wonder what happens if a seller offers free shipping in the first place under this sort of programme? Who pays for return shipping then?  Maybe we'd better not cross that bridge until we come to it...Woman Frustrated

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

According to the info, it isn't mand

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Well they are - I got an invitation to join this morning.
If they instigate this it will just hit too hard,  as my shipping costs are in in the $30 to $40 range and represent a lot of the total sale. This will put me out of business for sure.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

My invitation came this morning in my mail box as did one for my husband who rarely buys anything on line or uses paypal!

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

@rose-dee wrote:

Incidentally, I wonder what happens if a seller offers free shipping in the first place under this sort of programme? Who pays for return shipping then?  Maybe we'd better not cross that bridge until we come to it...Woman Frustrated

Well you  may be on to something here. Perhaps this is part of a stratagey to force free shipping - which of course we all know is not free.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

I find it interesting that PayPal is encouraging us to download banners - where are these banners supposed to go onto our eBay sites?

So much for the separation in PayPal and eBay policies.

Perhaps those in the US that administrate the Sherman Anitrust Act should take a closer look at eBay and PayPal.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

@rosscd57 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Well they are - I got an invitation to join this morning.
If they instigate this it will just hit too hard,  as my shipping costs are in in the $30 to $40 range and represent a lot of the total sale. This will put me out of business for sure

I haven't see the email but is it identical to the one in the OP? It is asking you to promote the program but I don't see where it says that you will be the one paying for the return shipping?

There was a question from a buyer on the Paypal board about this program...I assume that it is the same one. The info that I googled mentions that the program is only valid if the seller doesn't already offer free return shipping so that sounds as if the seller doesn't pay?? But then, it's odd that Paypal would offer to pay. 

Regardless, I really can't see the program being mandatory.

Here is the info that I found about it from a buyers point of view.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping/terms-and-conditions

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

No it is different and the seller is definitly paying the return shipping. PayPal sure won't.

I tried to post the link but it will not let me.

I also tryed to post the message but there is coding in it and it will not let me post it here.

I could post the ULR - but it does have me full name at the top and I am not sure I want to do that.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

Ok here is the link.

https://email-edg.paypal.com/r/MJSL35I/FXLAUI/76NOW9/5A8TBX/26HFL9/I9/h?a=MJSL35I&b=8A0Q45&c=DFWA4L0...

At least I think it is the link. I will post this and try it.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

Seems a bit excessive to be promoting this

"With this service you are eligible for up to 10 refunds on your return shipping costs from April 14, 2015 through to December 31st, 2015 and may receive refunds of up to $30 CAD per claim.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

It is hard to believe that they are doing this and not informing sellers prior to.

It really points out just how much regard they have for their sellers - in point, virtually none.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

No it is different and the seller is definitly paying the return shipping. PayPal sure won't.

That is the same program that someone asked about in the Paypal forum.

Where do you see that sellers are paying for the return shipping?

If sellers were paying, why would the  FAQ mention  that the program wasn't valid if the seller already paid for return shipping?

Perhaps in the future a merchant will have the option if they want to join the program and then have to pay but right now, there's no way that paypal can require that we pay for shipping for a return. They don't even require paid return shipping for a nad so I can't see them skipping past that and requiring that we pay for all returns.

The Service does not apply to:

• Purchases made in violation of the PayPal User Agreement or PayPal Acceptable Use Policy;
    • Immaterial or intangible goods and coupons purchases, and licenses for digital content and services;
    • Items for which the return by post regular mail, courier or any other regular shipping options or services is already paid for by the seller or merchant;
    • Cash, traveler's cheques, tickets, credit or debit cards, or any other negotiable instrument;
    • Items that cannot be returned in accordance with the seller or merchant's general conditions of sale (e.g. the seller or merchant's authorized deadline for returns has passed);
    • Costs associated with loss, theft, or damage to the item when it is returned; or
    • Items which are paid for wholly or partially in cash or any payment method other than PayPal (only the return costs for items paid for entirely with PayPal may be refunded under the Return Shipping Refund service).

The Service does not apply to:Purchases made in violation of the PayPal User Agreement or PayPal Acceptable Use Policy;

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

I've drilled down to the Terms and Conditions page for this offer.

First thing that's obvious is that it's not specifically related to eBay transactions, while that might not be surprising given the upcoming split it's often forgotten that PayPal is used as much or more off eBay as on eBay.

Second, it seems clear this has nothing to do with sellers at all except in a peripheral (and good) way.

This looks like a perk for PayPal users to favour PayPal as their preferred payment method, the more buyers who prefer PayPal the easier it is for PayPal to become an accepted payment method in places where they currently do no penetrate.

The entire rational for the PayPal spin off it to set them free of the eBay connection so that they can take a run at truly being the dominant online payment method.

One thing PayPal has all the data on and that's returns, while the offer could cost them as much as $300 annually per user they have no doubt run the numbers and know not only what the actual costs will be but to pick and choose who they offer this perk to. They could offer it to me based on my personal PayPal account that's been around for 10 years and has never had a single return credit. It's likely that 90% of PayPal users never do a return, the offer might give them a warm & fuzzy feeling for PayPal even if they never do use it.

Visa & MasterCard will protect you from an uncooperative merchant but they won't cover the return shipping if you decide you don't want something. That's a marketing advantage to PayPal, like most things, your success is relative to the size of your user base and your user base depends on user loyalty. Loyalty in the payments business is most easily maintained by offering cash or even just the offer of potential cash.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

@recped wrote:

"One thing PayPal has all the data on and that's returns, while the offer could cost them as much as $300 annually per user they have no doubt run the numbers and know not only what the actual costs will be but to pick and choose who they offer this perk to. They could offer it to me based on my personal PayPal account that's been around for 10 years and has never had a single return credit. It's likely that 90% of PayPal users never do a return, the offer might give them a warm & fuzzy feeling for PayPal even if they never do use it."

Are you saying this offer means Paypal itself is going to be covering buyers' return costs, i.e. that they feel the gain in users will offset the cost to them?  

From what others have said here, it sounded as if the returns costs would be downloaded to sellers (on or off eBay).  That would be the straw that would break a lot of camels' backs.  However, I find it hard to imagine Paypal making such a draconian scheme mandatory.  

On the other hand, if Paypal is offering to pay for returns, I'd call this a brilliant marketing scheme.  It would seem to be in direct conflict with eBay's mean-spirited (as least as far as sellers are concerned) MBG and Hassle Free Returns (which oblige the seller to be responsible for returns in many cases).  Gee, why doesn't eBay try this kind of creative and forward-thinking promotion (offering to pay for returns themselves) to attract buyers and make sellers deliriously happy?    

I haven't got the email from Paypal yet, nor have I checked the Paypal site, but I'll be checking for this.  If someone could post the link to the Paypal information from the seller's side, that would be very helpful. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

Link to Terms and Conditions & FAQ page

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping/terms-and-conditions?mpch=ads&mplx=27723-212003...

I got the invite yesterday but only on my very small personal PayPal account, it's an account that has never had a single credit transaction.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

If someone could post the link to the Paypal information from the seller's side, that would be very helpful. 

Based on the info that has been posted, it doesn't sound like there is any 'sellers info' because this is between the buyer and Paypal.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

New Paypal return policy

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Based on the info that has been posted, it doesn't sound like there is any 'sellers info' because this is between the buyer and Paypal.

Meaning that it is being funded by Paypal??

Message 20 of 32
latest reply