New on-time shipping question added to buyer feedback

The latest from Ebay re shipping question and feedback will now be global for everyone.  Permanent or not?

http://announcements.ebay.com/2015/07/new-on-time-shipping-question-added-to-buyer-feedback/

And the discussion link from the US boards

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/You-re-gonna-love-this-ebay-announcement-tracking-question-now/...

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Thanks for posting that. I certainly sheds some light on the situation. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Maybe eBay wants to know how accurate the delivery dates are...

and if too many people answer the question...  YES...  when it should be ... NO

then no one knows the estimates are wrong....

A seller cannot be held responsible for what the postal service ...does or .....does not do.....

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

A seller cannot be held responsible for what the postal service ...does or .....does not do

Really? But eBay does hold sellers responsible and may punish them for what the postal service does or does not do. That's reflected in our Shipping time DSR's and defects for an item not received.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to this topic because at this point we don't know if and how that question is going to affect us and I refuse to worry about something that may not happen. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Always be aware of what is happening.

Many times eBay has said or done something...  simply by association

and... if one is aware... One can be ready

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

eBay is unfair to sellers in that area especially when they don't use mail service with tracking number.  It is okay for some of us who use mail service with tracking number which eBay can see.

Again eBay is unfair to sellers especially with Canada Post's gouging insane hefty postage rates that are not feasible to use mail service with tracking number.  I wish Canada Post would offer us the mail service with tracking number at rates like USPS does.  I get many letters by USPS First Class Mail Lettermail with $2.55 on envelope and with a tracking number, so why can't Canada Post offer us that too??  With that, we would be able to make lots of sales for small items like sport trading cards, stamps, photos, etc.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Does anyone else remember that big stink a few months ago when ebay.com gave away free 'sorry your item was delivered late' coupons to an undetermined number of buyers who hadn't complained about anything? Maybe this is related to that. I'm trying to recall when and where I read it. Like I say, it was a big stink for a few days.... until the next big stink came along....

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I left many feedbacks today on my buying account... and this question only popped up for GSP items. All the items shipped by FCMI did not have that question. Can it be a way to see if GSP is working? Who knows?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I left many feedbacks today on my buying account... and this question only popped up for GSP items. All the items shipped by FCMI did not have that question. Can it be a way to see if GSP is working? Who knows?

I answered one this week for an item shipped within Canada.

What really concerns me is that most buyers don't know how a seller's performance is judged by eBay and what the implications of their answer might be.  Heck, we don't even know how a "no" answer will affect us.  If eBay simply wants to determine if their estimated shipping times are reasonable, then why not add a little note to the buyer that eBay is taking a survey ..... or something to that effect.

You can't blame a buyer who answers honestly.  If they didn't get the item by a certain date, they will, in good faith, say so.  I'm sure they don't stop to think whether or not the seller might be penalized for this (if that is eBay's intention); again, we don't know.

As a seller, I answered yes for the item I received this week, even though it arrived two days after the eBay date quoted.  Most buyers would likely not do this.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Do you think it's possible that ebay is attempting to measure whether a buyer's perceptions related to feedback match what ebay knows to be an actual (and in many cases confirmed, trackable) service standard? It seems a little silly to me that the company is asking a buyer to verify what the powers-that-be can most often already see for themselves.

We all know there are buyers who leave a random assortment of stars without any more thought than leaving a pretty pattern on their page. No reflection on how the seller performed, both because the buyer doesn't remember or care. Who can blame them? It feels like a pointless game. As a small child, I used to get really bored during all those nameless standardized tests where you had to pencil in the little circles. Like ebay feedback, they too were anonymous. I connected the dots, drew faces, played checkers, whatever. I didn't care because it's not like I had a vested interest in it and the importance of accurately answering the tests was never explained to us as eight-year-olds.

Feedback here is a lot like those 1980s tests. I probably caused math scores across Canada to plummet with my handiwork.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply