No More Insertion Fees! Sellers need change!

Dear eBay, I'm writing this in the most polite & sincere way possible. As a seller on your site, I feel an obligation to inform you very briefly about this serious issue that may affect the future of your Corporation. Thank you for taking the time to read the entire message.

Politely saying, you guys really gouge the sellers these days. I am & I’m sure there are others, extremely disappointed in eBay as a seller. eBay should not charge insertion fees for auction or fixed price. I & probably more than half your sellers only post items because it’s free insertion. It’s bad enough for the seller your ''final value fee'' takes 10% (unless you pay for store starting at 16$/month) & 10% on shipping collected, excluding PayPal's fee. You’re taking 10% of the money that's going to the courier. The seller loses even more. If the seller uses Paypal shipping they should be refunded the final value fee that represents the cost of the shipping label. Your whole site is completely flawed towards the seller especially the small business seller. The Seller is the life blood of your whole business. I understand you are a corporation driven by profit margins, but if you make it impossible for the seller to make a marginal profit on your site than nobody will use it & will go to your competitor, given that more & more people are becoming aware of other competitors in your industry. You have to offer something to the sellers that your competitor's don't offer. For example: Ali Baba or any other PayPal Payment site offers the sellers just the 2.9% and 30 cents instead of paying insertion fees, 10% final value fees. Even worse there are sites in which Your PayPal isn’t the payment system, like Amazon( Your main competitor, which charges almost what your charging if you include insertion fees & if you’re not a store or top rated seller because the volume of sales is not large enough due to not enough listing space without being charged). If you scrapped all insertion fees except in eBay Motors & Real Estate, you will get more people who will want to list mainstream items on your site. Also mainly, offer sellers that have closed their accounts or are going to close their accounts due to fee related disputes over insertion fees, a 4% final value fees, unless is a store 3% for 3 months, except real estate and motors.

I can understand if you let too many people list for free than you get a bunch of **bleep** nobody wants sitting on your server & wasting space on your hard drives with pictures. So what you do is offer to sellers, free insertion fees in which each user can designate by option their first 150 item(s) listed per month free insertion (those item(s) can re-list itself 4 times for a 7 day auction or once for 30 days or til cancelled, self-re-newing as free each month until cancelled), but any other method of listing outside those parameters or over the 150 designated items the seller must pay the 30 cents already in place, unless a store, same free listing rules but each store package offers small increments more of this feature. For example: Basic you can give 250 free listings & each superior package offers 250 more listings then the previous with the biggest package offering unlimited.  Listing options such as international visibility, Bold Title & Subtitle the fees should stand as is. International visibility should be offered free, but for only 5 items per month (sold or unsold) but cannot be a part of the 150 designated free listings. eBay final value fees should be lowered to 8% maximum, but if you can do what was said above that would be a start & would definitely keep me & I’m very positive, millions of others around the world with eBay & PayPal.

I understand if this were to be implemented effective in 2015, this may affect your profit margin in the coming year. But seller volume will rise when they find out that eBay is offering sellers not to have to pay if you want to sell in small volume or larger. Considering some items don’t sell as well as others, there needs to be some compromise on your end if you want sellers to stay with eBay, because Amazon & Ali Baba are looking pretty good with Google wallet & apple starting competition with PayPal. I like eBay & PayPal. I’d rather you guys but right now it’s not looking good. People like me who sell on eBay, Amazon, etc can just learn in 8 hours how to start their own site & do free social media marketing & avoid paying for posting on eBay & just use PayPal or Google wallet has a payment system.

Also to improve the catalog of items & hire some more people to just look at the catalog of items from A-Z and fill in the blanks & look at items that have sold on eBay but that are not in the catalog, by analyzing titles of items.

I really hope you guys read this & don’t just delete it. Pass it up the line in hope my opinion can shed a little light on how most your sellers are struggling paying the final value fee on the grand total of an item & that insertion fees are just sucking everything out of us. Extra features like Subtitle or Bold is completely understandable for fees, but just to list an item should be free & just because it doesn’t sell doesn’t mean we should have to pay for it again.

I really hope somebody in the administration can read this & see that it’s a great idea that might in the long run keep you above your competitors.

Thank You for Your time & consideration in this matter.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

In the last quarter (ending September 30), buyers purchased $20,075,000,000 on eBay (worldwide).

These transactions generated $4,353,000,000 in revenues for eBay, leaving net profit (after expenses) of $ 801,000,000 (before tax) or $ 673,000,000 (after tax).

Now, how much money would eBay lose with your proposed fee schedule?  Do you honestly think eBay shareholders are interested?

If you want eBay and its management to take your proposal seriously, you have to show eBay making more money, not less money.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

eBay has plenty of problems, fees are not one of them.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Check, your argument is flawed. eBay is not in the fee business. The only business they are in is the value of share price and retained earnings. They are in the business ratio business. They will do that any way they can to make money. Fees, buyers, selelrs, have nothing to do with anything.

Business capital is highly portable. It can be picked up and moved in the blink of an eye. What you want for yourself, runs counter to the Chicago School Of Economics that modern business operates by.

No, free listers do not generate the most listings, sales, revenues or anything. The big sellers all have stores and list thousands, tens of thousands of items.

With the fee and store changes from spring of 2013 I said the gulf between store owners and free listers would widen. eBay has both, enhanced store value, and, decreased services to the non-paying crowd. Why? Their metrics are showing that the pay as you go crowd generates more revenues with less problems.

Basic retail philosophy at work. Charge a higher price, deliver a better product with the paid price, a higher quality of customer comes through the door. I have a store and have for about a decade. I get a higher level of service. I have NEVER had a rep outside of North America on the phone. I have never waited more than 2-3 minutes on hold.

I have noticed, for a long time, store owners complain the least, free listers complain the most. Why is it this way?

You will have more to complain about in the spring. The spring update will enhance stores even more and reduce options for free listers. Do not like it if you do not want to.

Mark this down. eBay is going to a full user pay, up front, model.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I wish I had the time to read  something such as that which OP has presented..... But that was very difficult to read.

The eBay of today is not the eBay of 10 years ago... or even at its start

Fees have changed over time... yet if you track the fees   paid year after year  the total fees paid by a seller  has not changed markedly for each transaction.... more so over the past few years than previously

eBay will make adjustments.....  that is to be expected

Visit a local auction house  and  the commission rate can be 25 %, 30 % or more....  with a buyer's premium of 5 and even 10 %  and no worldwide marketplace...

and then the cost of running a B & M.

On eBay, someone with a store,  has the equivalent of a B &M ...  with massive exposure...  Canada and US plus other countries as per the seller's choice.

Where else in this world of ours  can we do  what is done on eBay....

At some time in the future  I can see an eBay with a store fee based on number of listing... with no listing fees....

and then  sellers will be limited... first on who can sell on eBay  and then how much each seller will be allowed to list..

Look at the restrictions on new sellers...  and then look on the way eBay evaluates sellers..  The sellers  that cannot meet the standards are leaving... that is to be expected.

eBay is setting a standard... and as the years pass  the end result will be a more defined  environment for selling.

In future  eBay will look back at each seller ... including long-time sellers... and determine whether they should continue on eBay....

eBay cannot keep growing  and growing and growing.....  and right now  eBay is at about a maximum.... for number of listings....

and in the long run it will get more difficult to meet and maintain a standard establish by eBay.

eBay is what it is today....  things will change..... but the cost to sell  an item will not change... That is a critical reality

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

"I wish I had the time to read"

Cumos, I'm killing myself over here. That is hysterical.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I had great trouble trying to read OP's statement....

Very difficult to follow line-by-line....

and when I go back  to the first sentence... I get Politely..... gouge....

and I am lost.

I have written many an important paper, document  and two theses over my lifetime....

and... if I wrote like OP.... I would have been digging ... ditches..... or hefting bales of hay.

And even when I was hefting bales of hay... over 50 years ago... They selected me to do the job... because I knew how to do it effectively and not kill myself  or anyone working with me.

One can read so far  and then  everything gets lost.

I have been through a lot over the past 10 days... and then since September 1.....  My mind is close to numb.... I tried  and then I gave up....

eBay is what it is... and I have learned over the 10 plus years on eBay..... and I know  what it takes to sell on eBay  and at a local auction...  

Fees I can live with.... definitely.....  It is the low number of sales  that hurts!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

But, but, but, you sell books! The pun of your statement sent me into wild guffaws.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

After my last two weeks... I needed a good chuckle or two or three...

Sometimes  I even think  I should just... stop... give up and count the bumps on the ceiling for the rest of my life.

But then  my brain would become mush....

I accept eBay as it is....  I do what I do....  I can do it....

Without eBay  I would have a BIG bonfire....  bring your own food to cook ... if you can get close enough to the bonfire.

OP says ... Sellers need change....

definitely...

More sales!  .....The more the better.

Something we all need...  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply