Non paying biddders

Hey guys! 

Lately I've had around 2-5 listings were buyers are  bidding on my items and then requesting me to cancel their bid or they win the auction and then tell me they aren't paying for it. I know this thread was probably made so many times and has been going on forever, but I am having a lot of people lately message me and cancel bids. This account I am using now is new, I use to share another one with my brothers for so many years and back in the day there were still NPB but it has risen as of now.Moving on,I had someone bid on a Super Smash bros game, since the buyer just joined around a week or 2 ago I wanted to see their feedback(Everything was positive) and what they have been purchasing since, via ebaywatchount. It appears that the buyer bought  5 of the same copy games from different sellers, so I knew from then they were not going to clear payment, heck they probably didn't pay for the other ones either despite the fact she purchased over 14 items and had 6 feedback(But I could be wrong, they may have paid for it). I sent her a message and she replied over a day later like nothing happened "I bought the same game from another seller, I wont purchase your game!"But why are people like this? I had another buyer this morning bid on a phone, they kindly replied back around 30 minutes later stating "Sorry, I bidded on the phone but realized my sim card wont fit." No worries, I don't mind buyers sending me messages like this. I cancelled the bid for him and everything was resolved. I know personally, I buy from ebay too but I would never ever do this to a seller.If I make a mistake, than I will purchase the item no matter what, why would I put the seller through that? Everytime I order something of ebay, if its an auction or BIN listing, I pay instantly. Any buyers that are reading this, just please tell me the philosophy. I don't want to make that sound in a rude way at all, I just really want to know.Thanks, cheers!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Non paying biddders

since the buyer just joined around a week or 2 ago I wanted to see their feedback(Everything was positive)

All buyers have only positive feedback.

But sellers who open Unpaid Item Disputes, which you can do instead of offering Mutual Cancellations, get an Unpaid Item Strike on their buying account.

This can't be seen, even by the buyer, but sellers can go to our Seller Preferences and put an automatic Block on bidders with two or more Strikes.

The seller doesn't even see the bid, because it cannot be made!

At a guess, you are getting most of your deadbeats on your 'technology' items? Part of the problem in that case is the demographic. Also. BDR.

Buyers Don't Read.

It wouldn't surprise me if your bidder sees the picture, doesn't really comprehend what he is bidding on, then after bidding or even winning, he finally reads and discovers the item isn't the goldplated live unicorn that he thought but a used My Little Pony. BDR.

Also mobile devices.

Look at your listings on a mobile when they are first posted. You may be shocked at what does and does not appear. (You do a good job on explaining that some of your items are 'as is/ for parts/ not working' by the way).

Do this early, because it takes a few hours for the listing to index and you can correct problems before they become public.

TL;DR

Open Unpaid Item Claims.

Don't cancel on demand, tell the bidder how to retract his own. Retractions appear on his feedback page, cancellations don't.

Both cancellations and UIDs get your fees back, but UIDs also block buyer feedback.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Non paying biddders

since the buyer just joined around a week or 2 ago I wanted to see their feedback(Everything was positive)

All buyers have only positive feedback.

But sellers who open Unpaid Item Disputes, which you can do instead of offering Mutual Cancellations, get an Unpaid Item Strike on their buying account.

This can't be seen, even by the buyer, but sellers can go to our Seller Preferences and put an automatic Block on bidders with two or more Strikes.

The seller doesn't even see the bid, because it cannot be made!

At a guess, you are getting most of your deadbeats on your 'technology' items? Part of the problem in that case is the demographic. Also. BDR.

Buyers Don't Read.

It wouldn't surprise me if your bidder sees the picture, doesn't really comprehend what he is bidding on, then after bidding or even winning, he finally reads and discovers the item isn't the goldplated live unicorn that he thought but a used My Little Pony. BDR.

Also mobile devices.

Look at your listings on a mobile when they are first posted. You may be shocked at what does and does not appear. (You do a good job on explaining that some of your items are 'as is/ for parts/ not working' by the way).

Do this early, because it takes a few hours for the listing to index and you can correct problems before they become public.

TL;DR

Open Unpaid Item Claims.

Don't cancel on demand, tell the bidder how to retract his own. Retractions appear on his feedback page, cancellations don't.

Both cancellations and UIDs get your fees back, but UIDs also block buyer feedback.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Non paying biddders

Thanks for the reply! Yes most deadbeats on technology items or games. Thanks for the kind comment about me describing my items thoroughly, I inspect every element of the device before I put them on. I will take a look at the listings on mobile, I never thought of that before, thanks for informing me.I also had to cancel an order today but its all good, long story, buyer was very nice. But  will this affect my account if I cancelled the order? 

Thanks, have a good one!:)

Message 3 of 3
latest reply