Offer

I don't have listing with best offer, but recently I have received many buyer send me messages if I willing take it less for my item.

Is it becoming trend? I mean are you guys get similar increasing request if you were willing to accept offer on non best offer listing?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Offer

Yes I receive many like this. I guess a lot of buyers, want to test sellers as to how desperate they are to make a sale. Everyone looks for a bargain. It's like they all think this is a flea market where haggling is allowed.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Offer

I get them very often, even on items that I know are already with prices that are lower than of other sellers.

And very often these offers are so low that it is like insult.

But I politely answer that the offer does not match my selling criteria.

But I also have a couple buyers that are willing to buy FEW ITEMS and asking about 15-20% reduction. This I find reasonable

and I agree to do it.

I attend each item and add the Make the Offer option and ask the buyer to make all these offers before I accept them.

I think in our very competitive world we have to deviate sometimes.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Offer

Not everyday, but it does happen.  I treat each request as a potential buyer, regardless of the offer.   I always thank them for the e-mail and offer.. and politely turn them down.  

Some buyers that have been burned in the past will send a "test" e-mail to a seller to see 1) if they respond, and 2) how they respond.  Usually it isn't in the form of a lowball offer, but I have had folks that made offers purchase at the full price. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Offer

It happened once in a while in the past, but what I feel there is big increase of offer after the breach, as if ebay promote it to the buyers.

And when I list using SYI, nowadays best offer box is always ticked. I have un-ticked all the time.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Offer

@asiahhijab wrote:

It happened once in a while in the past, but what I feel there is big increase of offer after the breach, as if ebay promote it to the buyers.

And when I list using SYI, nowadays best offer box is always ticked. I have un-ticked all the time.

That's an interesting thought -- maybe eBay is trying to get sellers to include "Best Offer" to try and bring buyers back after the hacker breach.  I don't see the SYI form very often because most of my items are GTC, so I hadn't noticed this ruse by eBay! 

The trouble is, too many "Best Offer" items everywhere makes eBay basically an auction marketplace again, but this time with the lowest possible offer getting the item because sellers are desperate -- a race to the bottom, as they say. 

I suppose in the situation you mention, if you really need the sale, you can revise your item to include Best Offer, and hope the buyer will make an offer you can accept.

There are so many strange things happening on eBay since the hacker incident.  It doesn't seem like the same place that it was before April or May this year. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Offer

Further to my previous reply I want to add that I have noticed many sellers use MAKE ON OFFER selling strategy very often.

They purposely assign unrealistic high prices and with MAKE ON OFFER they may sell for the price they originally wanted or even higher. And buyers think that they got a good deal.

I use MAKE ON OFFER on some items (usually these that I can not sell for a while) and I am getting the same variety of offers - insulting low or of decent amount...  I even think that I should spend some time to offer it more frequently.

Many people are willing to have a "good deal" and this should be considered in our selling strategies.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply