Offers on a listing is Like a purchase. At least I thought so!

Many of my items listed come with Best offers. Recently I have been getting offers that I have accepted without payment. I have had 2 separate buyers that  have purchased the item twice, and twice reneged on payment. I dont normally use the Buyer block list, but in these 2 cases it's all I can do.

Normally I dont really care that much about people not paying. I chalk it up to doing business on Ebay, but of late I have received more  non payers this month than quite possibly all year. These actions by some buyers places my listings in limbo for a week.

Even now I have listing that should be listed but I cant relist till this slug process Ebay has put in place evolves. Would be nice if we had better control on non payers and stop these games buyers play. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I suspect that your jerseys attract impulse buyers who are phone shopping.

Annoying and not likely to go away, especially in the holiday season.

Selling many RedBlack jerseys?

HMM M - I know nothing about your line, but if I am right about phones, they don't give all the information. And Best Offers do not cover shipping.

That is if your shirt is priced at $400 +$30 shipping and you get an acceptable Offer of $350, the customer may not realize that he will still have to pay the $30 shipping.

Has this ever been mentioned? Would including the shipping cost (massaged for Canada Post Regional Parcel and for USA) be a useful plan?

Free shipping has worked well for me, in vastly different categories.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

That is if your shirt is priced at $400 +$30 shipping and you get an acceptable Offer of $350, the customer may not realize that he will still have to pay the $30 shipping.

Has this ever been mentioned?

When someone send an offer on an item, there is a message that clearly states "shipping is not included in the offer price" (or something similar). If someone wants free shipping, they have to specify it in the message section of the offer. 😉

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Oh yes. You are absolutely right.

But since when do buyers read?

I also wonder how much of the Best Offer information is available on a smartphone?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I suspect that your jerseys attract impulse buyers who are phone shopping.

Oh I am sure that can happen, but whats going through that person thinking when they buy the same item at different weeks, twice? I have had 2 seperate buyers that purchased different items and did not pay, then they both purchase  that very same item and again did not pay. One from the US and the other from Germany.

I completely understand when a buyer purchases and decides that they dont want to complete the sale. I dont care for it but that the way it is, but then dont purchase that same item again. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Did you have your account set up so that you block buyers with too many unpaid item strikes? It's under Account -> Site Preferences, then scroll down to Buyer requirements and make edits there.

I assume you file unpaid item dispute whenever you have an item that's not paid for after 4 days so that you get your FVF back?
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I am aware of the procedures and the little amount Ebay offers to protect sellers from non payers. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

but whats going through that person thinking when they buy the same item at different weeks, twice?

The still wants the jersey, forgot he ordered it without paying, and forgot it was ordered from you. And of course forgot he has no money.

The guy who wrote "Cards Against Humanity" was an optimist.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I think we sometimes think that our buyers are like us, fairly educated on how eBay works.

I have had the pleasure of talking to a few of my "problem" customers on the phone to try to work out what the heck was going on and for certain there are buyers in eBayland that have almost no idea how things work.

Simple things like how to pay, even how to log on (if their son or grandson isn't there) or what buying even means!

Last week I had a regular buyer who didn't pay for something respond to my query about whether they knew that it hadn't been paid for yet that they ended up not wanting the item they had "reserved"!

Another buyer had her son help her, and subsequent attempts to purchase something ended up with her somehow creating a new ebay id, and purchasing and paying for a different item than she wanted. She wasn't able to figure out how to respond to my messages, beyond maybe one word, so I eventually called her. She was a very nice lady, very polite but very unable to properly work eBay. That was a good reminder of how some of our customers don't have it out for us, they just are having a tough time with the technology.....

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

<<our customers don't have it out for us, they just are having a tough time with the technology>>

What a lovely post, 'ricarmic', most aptly and kindly stated, -- and something that does not get said often enough, 

if at all , - yet as you so clearly point out, it ought to be.  

It is truly discouraging to have to continually view the relentless contempt which so many obviously have for the 

people with whom they seek to do business, or rather, from whom they wish to receive payments.

Next thing we know they're belly-aching about slow sales.  The way it is some days I have no trouble imagining 

people coming here looking for answers and then quietly backing away after some of the things they might read.

But for all that, I think ebay is partially responsible for pushing the bid & buy without a scintilla of explanation 

which might be useful to new users, - and always urging newbies to sell, sell, sell and here's a huge freebie 

coupon to get you started.  

No mention about  'if you are new to ebay, click here to read this ever-so important anti-scam page'.  And then 

some poor sod lists a diamond ring or gold coin, loses it, and is left with nothing for his initial enthusiasm. 

Are these people stupid?  No.  Just not made aware that there is help and information available and where 

it is hidden so they can find it.

haha Smiley Very Happy

But yes, nice of you to step up and say a few kind words.  Heaven knows the place needs it. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The dimwit still wants the jersey, forgot he ordered it without paying, and forgot it was ordered from you. And of course forgot he has no money.

You missed this one; "my wife found out I was purchase this item and won't let me spend the money, so I have to cancel the transaction". I just recieved this from a newby on another transaction today. At least I haven't heard that one yet . LOL

Message 11 of 11
latest reply