Order over $250 shipping?

Hi! Just a question about shipping... this is the first time I ever had someone bought over $250 from me! Here I thought eBay was dead and I wasn't really actively selling either, so I was really surprised to see someone buy 10 books from me at once! I wonder if this buyer would have bought more if I didn't set that "block buyers who are currently winning or have bought 10 of my items in the last 10 days" under my selling preference... I originally set it to prevent not-serious buyers hogging my items, but I checked out this buyer's feedback and this buyer do tend to buy in bulk from similar type of sellers, so I think this buyer is serious. And looking back at my e-mail history, this buyer actually bought 1 book from me 2 years ago lol. Anyhow, that aside, I would like to ask... is shipping with Expedited Parcel to US acceptable for that $250+ order signature confirmation requirement, or do I have to ship it with Xpresspost for Paypal to accept it for seller protection? The buyer hasn't paid yet but I thought I'd just ask this question first 😃 Thanks for any input!
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can check your Buyer Requirements Activity Log in your Site Preferences. Maybe the buyer did try purchasing more items from you.

By the way, PayPal upped the requirement from to $250 to $750 for US PayPal account holders. For Canadians, it's C$850:

"Proof of Delivery" is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The date the item is delivered.
  • The item’s status as delivered.
  • The recipient’s address matches the shipping address on the Transaction Details Page.
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city & province, or city & country or postal code (or international equivalent).
  • Signature Confirmation as described below if the full amount of the payment, including shipping and taxes, is $850 CAD, or its foreign currency equivalent provided below:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can check your Buyer Requirements Activity Log in your Site Preferences. Maybe the buyer did try purchasing more items from you.

By the way, PayPal upped the requirement from to $250 to $750 for US PayPal account holders. For Canadians, it's C$850:

"Proof of Delivery" is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

• The date the item is delivered.
  • The item’s status as delivered.
  • The recipient’s address matches the shipping address on the Transaction Details Page.
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city & province, or city & country or postal code (or international equivalent).
  • Signature Confirmation as described below if the full amount of the payment, including shipping and taxes, is $850 CAD, or its foreign currency equivalent provided below:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you very much for your information! I didn't know that you can check the history like that. The buyer indeed tried other books, and he just sent me an eBay message asking about those books so I'll make a new listing for this buyer.

Well with the added books the order is around $400, which is still under $850, so I can simply use expedited parcel then 😃 Not sure if I should bother adding extra insurance for around $4 when there is already tracking... as far as I know, insurance for books is only valid if the books become unreadable... which rarely happens. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

From experience it has been learned that if something is relatively rare... shipping with a signature confirmation is required

Just shipped a parcel weighing about 13.5 kg  to Arizona.....Heaviest box ever mailed.....Xpresspost  because it was relatively rare.... 5 volume set plus a small extra book... a gazetteer... Encyclopedia of Ukraine....  super condition, and valued at $400 Canadian.

Xpresspost was indicated in the listing for this encyclopedia set...

My experience was with a quite rare book  that disappeared at a community mailbox in Calgary... A $2.00  option... Signature on pickup would have prevented that. 

and with community mailboxes to become the new reality....  could such losses become the norm?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Signature, DC, tracking is NOT required for shipping. That is a myth. It is required in the event of a case.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

In today's world on eBay it does help to have insurance and tracking.

and under certain situations,  such as documented by me...  Signature confirmation with delivery works.

The book that was lost at the community mailbox  in Calgary had a value of $195 US... and it was a rare book about a Manitoba military group... The Manitoba Dragoons...

If it has high value... is rare... there is NO WAY... I would ship WITHOUT... insurance... tracking  and many times ( whether needed or not based on Paypal's $850 Canadian)  signature confirmation... is a necessity... an absolute necessity... sometimes...

I used to use Small Packet with insurance.....  but with tracking  buyers cannot state ... Not Received...  without proof  as a part of an insurance claim....  

and ...  I did have a few difficult claims with Small packet... Today.. those claims would be ... defects!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

and with community mailboxes to become the new reality....  could such losses become the norm?

In 12 years with a community mail box I've never had a package go missing.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

In today's world on eBay it does help to have insurance and tracking.

and under certain situations,  such as documented by me...  Signature confirmation with delivery works.

Of course insurance, tracking and signature confirmation can help in some situations. However, I've found that in the majority of cases, the chance of loss is so minimal that it doesn't make sense to have the buyer or myself pay more for postage 'just in case'.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

My buyer has a PO Box address so he/she wouldn't be the one signing for it right away anyway... would that still be relevant whether or not I buy extra signature confirmation? I plan to use Expedited Parcel USA since that's already the cheapest option for 3kg of books. I'm not even sure if I should bother to pay a few extra bucks to cover insurance up to $400 because it's hard to break books... (and insurance doesn't cover dented corners anyway since the book'd still be readable). 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Now I have a new question about expedited parcel if anyone is still following this thread...

I just printed a shipping label with Paypal and it showed the insured value as $0. I did choose not to purchase additional insurance, but still I thought the first $100 should be included. Should I void this label and make a new one? 

And I also noticed that Paypal shipping doesn't give the option to buy signature confirmation...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Expedited Parcel USA does not have a signature option, only Delivery Confirmation. Expedited Parcel Canada does have signature option. See section 7 features below

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp#1402643

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I've seen the insured value at $0 as well. That just means that you probably didn't fill in an amount over $100 in the 'extra insurance' box. You would still be insured up to $100.

Xpresspost USA doesn't give you an option to check off the signature box in Paypal shipping because it automatically comes with a signature. The way that they have it set up in Paypal is confusing though.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply