Overseas shipping Help!

So I sold a Item to a person in Spain.

Shipping was $17 with out tracking or $52 with tracking.

He paid for the cheaper shipping so that means 6-8 weeks delivery time.

He filed a Non receipt of item with PayPal after 4 weeks.

So my Question is am I up the creek without a paddle as to getting my money back?

I have the Post office Reciept and copy of the shipping label that both the uyer and PayPal have copies of.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Overseas shipping Help!

My perspective on loss is different. I worked in liquor stores for decades. The most frequent thieves were usually of a lower IQ group, damaged in some respect.

One fellow, Roland, traveled the city stealing Crown Royal. Constantly getting caught and sent to court. Restitution orders, Barring statements. Everything. Then, one day, never heard from him again.

A very popular item? Hennessy Cognac. Expensive and the rappers drank it in videos. One guy in particular was responsible for about 80% of the theft, city wide, for about a year. Did not matter how many times we caught him.

Another pair of guys, sweater boy and what's his name. They wore bulky sweaters and spandex. Each would score 4-5 jugs at a time. I think they either left town or finally got sent away for a long stretch.

My tolerance for loss is higher, because, sometimes there is nothing you can do. Nothing.
Photobucket
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

...sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Unfortunately Yes, but as frustrating as it is, keep in mind, the Law of Averages catches up to Dishonest Buyers.

The "Report A Buyer" Function is there for a reason.

If Buyers were always honest this function would not exist.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

I don't see anything woolly or erroneous about either of the previous comments on surface shipping, just common sense:

(reallynice): "But in effect, by setting the deadline for Item Not Received disputes much earlier than delivery can be expected, even by the optimistic standards of Canada Post, eBay does prevent a wise seller from offering surface shipping."

(Mr. E): "Seller offered a shipping choice that was going to result in an INR. That was the sellers choice. Seller has the choice not to offer that service."

They were both saying the same thing to the OP, who now knows from direct experience that they are right.  Perhaps not in every case, but right enough that the OP will probably consider whether to ship by surface next time or subsidize his buyer's shipping cost so he can use a faster service and avoid problems.  Calculated risk - a seller can either take it or find another way around it. 

Soon eBay will close the discussion on this issue anyway, by automatically defecting any transaction with an INR case opened if the seller doesn't have tracking/delivery confirmation to be able to resolve it.  

Please understand - I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with surface shipping, and I'm sure it's quite reliable.  It's certainly the least expensive option, and probably fine if you're selling from your own website and don't have to worry about INR cases and DSRs.  However eBay is simply making slower methods of shipping less and less attractive for sellers because its rules concerning buyer satisfaction (fast delivery) and seller performance are getting more stringent.  There's nothing illogical about that conclusion. 

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

Put me down as "didn't receive my item" from a buyer in Spain. It's not a big loss, would have gone to e-cycle anyway. Makes you wonder if they take advantage of it...I think I'll put that item on a search and see if it comes up "for sale"  in the future and also mark that country as "nope". I see the buyer has bought 500 items, but sold nothing. I'm really getting tired of using eBay sadly. So much easier to deal with the local version.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

@zigartenzewel wrote:

Put me down as "didn't receive my item" from a buyer in Spain. It's not a big loss, would have gone to e-cycle anyway. Makes you wonder if they take advantage of it...I think I'll put that item on a search and see if it comes up "for sale"  in the future and also mark that country as "nope". I see the buyer has bought 500 items, but sold nothing. I'm really getting tired of using eBay sadly. So much easier to deal with the local version.

I have dealt with numerous buyers in Spain (the particular niche I sell in has very few EU or Spanish sellers) when previously using Canada Post light/small packet, and now having switched to USPS. I never had an issue with a buyer in spain with either. When I was shipping with Canada Post, this was my method:

• Insure higher value shipments with third party insurance (many options here, I use Insurepost)
  • Print a second copy of the label, and get it stamped with an acceptance stamp at the post office (typically required for TPI for untracked shipments
  • Send buyer a photo of the label showing it was sent.

I found the last part was key, as it lets the buyer definitively know you shipped the item. I found many cases of INR were down to buyers get jittery when mail was delayed. Having no tracking and no real proof a seller sent something pushes legitimate buyers to open INR's. Suspected fraudulent cases you can't really do much about, but that is where TPI comes in. In any event, my loss rate was sub 1% with Canada Post (99% small packet/light packet), and a fraction of that number with USPS. If I were solely limited to untracked shipping options, the only countries I would definitely consider blocking wholesale are countries with very well known customs issues that delay packages (Italy/Brazil/Russia) or countries you've found consistently problematic with delivery times.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

Paypal gives buyers 180 days to file a claim so why are buyers in such a panic?

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

So my Question is am I up the creek without a paddle as to getting my money back?

If the buyer has already been refunded, you won't get your money back from ebay or Paypal. But, you can ask the buyer to let you know once the item arrives so that payment can be arranged. They buyer may not let you know if they do not get the item, but that is the only chance that you have of receiving your money back.

It sounds as if you sent the item with surface shipping rather than air and that often does cause a problem. A buyer only has a certain amount of time to file a claim so if they wait longer than that and the item doesn't arrive, they have no way of receiving their money back.  Many sellers won't use international surface for that reason. Since the seller is responsible for the item until it is delivered to the buyer, it is up to the seller to decide what method they are willing to use for shipping.

Exactly what PJ says.

Buyer has 45 days to open a case. What should a buyer do on day 44 when the item has not arrived? Any seller will tell them to open a case of INR.

Never, ever, use surface as the buyer is forced into opening a case.

180 days through Paypal so why the panic and incorrect information

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Overseas shipping Help!

@dutchman48 wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If the buyer has already been refunded, you won't get your money back from ebay or Paypal. But, you can ask the buyer to let you know once the item arrives so that payment can be arranged. They buyer may not let you know if they do not get the item, but that is the only chance that you have of receiving your money back.

It sounds as if you sent the item with surface shipping rather than air and that often does cause a problem. A buyer only has a certain amount of time to file a claim so if they wait longer than that and the item doesn't arrive, they have no way of receiving their money back.  Many sellers won't use international surface for that reason. Since the seller is responsible for the item until it is delivered to the buyer, it is up to the seller to decide what method they are willing to use for shipping.

Exactly what PJ says.

Buyer has 45 days to open a case. What should a buyer do on day 44 when the item has not arrived? Any seller will tell them to open a case of INR.

Never, ever, use surface as the buyer is forced into opening a case.

180 days through Paypal so why the panic and incorrect information

The posts you are quoting are from 2014  before 180 day protection through paypal.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply