POSTAL LOCKOUT/STRIKE UPDATE: BINDING ARBITRATION PROPOSED BY GOVT

Good news overnight on the looming postal lockout/strike front. To paraphrase The Godfather, the federal government has made an offer they can't refuse. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/07/06/canada_post_pre...

Canada Post Prepared to Submit to Binding Arbitration

Federal Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, MaryAnn Mihychuk, has asked both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC) to submit to binding arbitration to resolve the current impasse at negotiations.

The Canada Post Corporation has already agreed. "It is our hope that CUPW will consider submitting to binding arbitration to end the uncertainty. Canada Post is extending the current 72-hour notice period to Monday at 12:01 am to provide time for the union to consider this option."

It would be suicide for the unions to refuse, although I do expect they will make a show of doing so and wait until the final moments to concede. Binding arbitration is the best we can hope for at this point.

Message 1 of 225
latest reply
224 REPLIES 224

I'm quite busy with work lately so I'll remain closed simply because I have little spare time and would rather sleep. Otherwise I'd reopen because I don't get a ton of sales anyway.
Message 161 of 225
latest reply

Closed my stores until July 15th regardless. Would rather look at the lake instead of my laptop screen for a few more days. Then off to visit family in Parry Sound  for weekend, dinner Sunday at Louis's in Huntsville. I'll be ready to mail Monday if they settle by end of week. If not, back to the dock on the bay.

Message 162 of 225
latest reply

That sounds simply lovely. Enjoy!

Message 163 of 225
latest reply

Even though I closed the Store along  time ago I'm not going to list any thing till this mess is cleared up as I am enjoying myself so much doing summer things that I hate the thoughts of going back to the computer again I can't see the Union giving in on Arbitration and CP giving them the gold plated pension plan that they want. so it will probably come to a stand still again and another 72 hour wait.

Message 164 of 225
latest reply

ebay issued another announcement today based on the weekend's developments http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/07/11/7828/ and they are rolling back the postal disruption precautions they had made.

On Sunday, Canada Post announced that it had retracted its lockout notice to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), effectively removing the possibility of a strike or lockout until another 72 hour notice is issued by either party. At this time, Canada Post is accepting and delivering packages and mail as usual.

In response to this development, eBay Canada will now initiate a process to roll back the changes made to estimated delivery dates as well as the buyer-facing messaging about a possible disruption. We will reinstate these measures as necessary, pending further announcements from Canada Post and/or CUPW.

Sellers who put their eBay Stores on vacation mode or otherwise reduced or removed their eBay inventory are now strongly encouraged to return to business as usual.

Message 165 of 225
latest reply

Funny, it takes Ebay months to implement anything, but 30 seconds to remove it when nothing is settled yet, only stalled.

Message 166 of 225
latest reply

Talks continue between CPC and CUPW...

with no end in sight.

No binding Arbitration now or in the future.

and  the possibility a strike or Lockout might still be somewhere in the future.

It is like CPC and CUPW are sitting across the table from one another..... and the first one that blinks... loses

Message 167 of 225
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Talks continue between CPC and CUPW...

with no end in sight.

No binding Arbitration now or in the future.

and  the possibility a strike or Lockout might still be somewhere in the future.

In case you haven't seen it, this is CUPW's official take on binding arbitration:

http://www.cupw.ca/en/negotiations-or-arbitration

Message 168 of 225
latest reply

Make Canada Post an essential service.

No strikes...  and ... No lockouts

And.. then let them negotiate  forever and a day....

--------------------------------------------------------------

If  nothing is done soon... Canada Post will be held hostage with no agreement.

Or...alternatively... How long can CUPW continue as it is doing... before  CUPW Is no longer CUPW, a postal union.....  and Canada Post can do everything it wants to do and more....without any hindrance.....

Message 169 of 225
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I suspect what's been taking up most of the time in these "negotiations" is figuring out what proposals take priority and which can be back-burnered.

Both parties came to the table with lengthy and complicated wish-lists.
Message 170 of 225
latest reply

Two major factors in non-agreement.

(1) Changing the pension fund  for new employees..... Making it the equivalent of an RRSP... that varies in relation to interest rates  and is not fixed based on salary and number of years worked...

(2) Adjusting the "salary" of rural workers.....  who earn less when the number of hours worked is considered,  than urban  workers....  The concern is women  in rural employment., with equal pay to urban workers.

The question with respect to women should be no problem, as men and women in rural employment  have the same income per item delivered,  and there is no discrimination between women and men in this situation.

Also women and men in urban employment receive  the same salary, that is salary in relation to years of service, with no discrimination noted....

Those in rural employment are paid on the basis of number of items delivered.  Urban workers are paid an hourly salary.

Paying rural workers an hourly salary means that the cost per item delivered will go up several-fold

Message 171 of 225
latest reply

The fact remains, though, that urban and rural workers are getting paid quite differently for work of equal value.

A burger flipper at a McDonald's gets paid the same no matter how many burgers he or she flips in a given shift.

Message 172 of 225
latest reply

It cannot be compared to flipping burgers for too many reasons to count.

The jobs of urban letter carriers and rural carriers are totally different. Their purpose may be the same -- to deliver the mail --  but the qualities one must possess to do the job is different. It's like saying everyone who works at a hospital should be paid the same, from custodial staff to the team of neuro-surgeons since they all serve the same purpose: to make people better. 

The fact that there are more rural carriers that are women is irrelevant. It's not a gender pay parity issue.

But who cares what we think? We are merely crows squabbling on the fence. We have no place at the table, nor do our opinions about this. We could squawk for days and it would have no impact.

Message 173 of 225
latest reply

" for work of equal value."

Sorry.  The answer is NO it is not work of equal value.

I do not know where you live but, please take the time to talk personally with a rural mail carrier if you live in an urban area.

It is a different world.

And, let's face it, the postal unions were relatively satisfied for decades about the different contracts.  The new twist about "gender equality" is just that: a negotiation twist.

Message 174 of 225
latest reply

You just don't quit with your biased and lack of knowledge comments no matter how many people tell you that.

Message 175 of 225
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

" for work of equal value."

Sorry.  The answer is NO it is not work of equal value.

I wish you had elaborated on this a bit more.  I think we may be defining "equal value" differently.

I don't believe that the work that a rural postal worker does is of less value--on a material or social basis--than on that an urban postal worker does.  They're both working to the same ends.

A restaurant worker at McDonald's earns less than one working at the Ritz-Carlton, yet their duties overlap considerably.

Message 176 of 225
latest reply

I think not.
Message 177 of 225
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The fact that there are more rural carriers that are women is irrelevant. It's not a gender pay parity issue.

It's not irrelevant, but it is probably less of a case than the union is making it out to be, I'll grant you that.

Having said that, there are female-dominated professions such as retail and teaching that do see inadequate recompense and employers likely wouldn't be able to get away with that so easily if the gender mix were different.

Message 178 of 225
latest reply

I was at my PO today, after re-opening my store yesterday, and I said "It looks like you guys are in the clear". She smiled and said "Yes".

My take is that neither side wants to do a job action.

Plus? You don't think the government has not talked to both sides, privately, and, hasn't said MAKE A DEAL!"?

Photobucket
Message 179 of 225
latest reply

There was nothing private about the offer of binding arbitration.
Message 180 of 225
latest reply