PayPal "Pay After Delivery" - eligible transactions

I posting here because i figure sellers would know the answer. Also, this is not a strictly eBay question as I'm asking about any average online PayPal purchase.

I'm eligible for PayPal's "Pay After Delivery" feature; I've used it several times already. The option for Pay After Delivery sometimes shows up and sometimes it doesn't. I've been hunting for the answer but I can't zero-in on why.

In PayPal's user agreement it mentions that Pay After Delivery is available for eligible transactions. That's the crux of it, I suppose. What are the criteria that PayPal uses to decide what makes a transaction (or a seller) eligible for Pay After Delivery.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

That is exactly what i have come across too. And I was also told by Paypal over the phone that it's only available if the Seller agrees to that type of payment. Because they actually do not get paid until the item arrives. But I have used it on one thing and then the next day I can't use it for the same item and seller. It's too hit and miss. Paypal needs to fix this and offer it for all purchases they deem acceptable and all the time on those items. It's not right when I can use it one time and not the next for the same item and seller. And we need a list of sellers who accept this form of payment. When I look to see why it's not available for a certain purchase it only says things like your back account may not be linked. But it is and always was so why is it an option one time and not the next? It's making me mad. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

And I was also told by Paypal over the phone that it's only available if the Seller agrees to that type of payment. Because they actually do not get paid until the item arrives.

I'm surprised that they would say that because the seller is not affected at all. They get paid right away, just like with any other purchase. Also, I don't think that sellers actually sign up for it or have any control whether or not it is used.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I also contacted a seller about it and they said they don't take PAD. So I have no idea. The way the guy at PayPal explained it was the seller does not get paid right away. Because it's a way to keep sellers honest. If they don't send the item or it's wrong then they don't get paid until it's fixed. Or that's the idea anyways. I can only go by my experience and what I was told. But obviously something isn't right because many people are having trouble using it, just as I am. One time I used it and after the order was placed PayPal took the money out immediately even though it said PAD when I hit order. I called PayPal and they wouldn't fix it. So I think it's PayPal site issues that's causing the hit and miss. If I try to order something and it doesn't give me the option I will not order it. I can try the next day and it will have the option on the very same order the day before. So why the no and then yes the next day? Makes no sense.
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

"The way the guy at PayPal explained it was the seller does not get paid right away. Because it's a way to keep sellers honest. If they don't send the item or it's wrong then they don't get paid until it's fixed"

The "guy at PayPal" was talking about something else: the "payment hold"

For more factual information: https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/paypal-holds-faq

It has nothing to do with "Pay after Delivery"

For more information from PayPal for "Pay after Delivery" please visit:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ918

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Which stores?
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Having these same problems. Repeatedly contacted PayPal and they spew the same line which I tried to explain "can't be the issue" bc I go to the exact same seller and some items it's available and others it isn't. And sometimes the exact same item from the exact same seller the option pops and away randomly. Would be nice if someone actually knew how to look at it and fix it. Until it's fixed I'm going back to Amazon. I got burnt on eBay before this feature was available and its the reason I came back. Now that it's messed up its the reason I'm going somewhere else.
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I use PAD almost exclusively for all my purchases.

I currently have a claim open for a phone that never arrived ($300 US) and I still have the option for PAD. About a year ago I purchased 8 Lenovo T400 Laptops and I was able to use PAD for that $1,500.00 amount.

One things that did affect my ability to use PAD was a case on eBay where an item I mailed didn't show up, so because the funds are put on hold, it put my account to a negative balance. But once I used my Visa to add funds, I was able to use PAD again.

Some transactions won't use PAD. I've noticed that typically this is for smaller sellers who maybe only sell casually. On ocassion I have had a larger seller which I had to pay right away.

I believe PayPal runs statistics to determine which sellers are less at risk to offer PAD to. 

One thing to note though, is that just because PAD is displayed as an option, it is not a 100% for sure thing, as I had a transaction that showed PAD but instead withdrew from my PayPal balance. The agreement for PAD kinda gives them the ability to assess each transaction and determine how best to offer it.

Now, I've been using PAD for over a year now. When I first started using it, it would only offer it perhaps every 3 to 5 transactions. So I started using eBay's Cart System to test the waters to see whether I would be offered PAD or not. If I was going to make a large purchase I would often buy something small and cheap using instant payment then PAD would be offered on my large purchase. I'm pretty sure they keep track of how you purchase, how many payments failed (I had a few, ouch! those $45 NSF hurt!!!) but I'm fairly sure I've built up good "credit" with them. On average, I spend between $500 - $1,500 per month on PAD. Some of my local suppliers that I get batteries and adapters from accept PayPal so I get to use PAD. 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

need to get a case for my new phone but I have to wait until my paycheck is in the bank to get it

While that is a good* way to run your finances, you also have the option to get a credit card and use that with your Paypal account. Your seller gets her money immediately and you pay when you can afford it.

In addition, you have not only eBay and Paypal Buyer Protection but also your card's chargeback protection.

You can further protect yourself by buying from a Canadian seller, because the cost of returning any product with Proof of Delivery, starts at $40 and rises rapidly. And PoD is not available for every country.

*Actually THE BEST!

Message 28 of 28
latest reply