PayPal to Sellers: Don't Dissuade Shoppers from Using Us

PayPal is updating its User Agreement in the UK, and one of the changes stands out as unusual: it's prohibiting sellers from dissuading shoppers from using PayPal. The following new language is being added to the UK User Agreement

"At all of your points of sale (in whatever form): you shall not dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you shall treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered."

Some of the speculation is that this means sellers won't be able to say 'Cash on Pickup' for local sales. I find this interesting because, according to the last conversation that I had with a paypal rep about Cash on Pickup, I was told the safest thing for a seller is to NOT accept paypal for items bought at the door and this is the reason: although paypal doesn't cover pick-ups for either the buyer or seller, if the transaction has been funded by a credit card company, paypal cannot stop an INR claim from being made by a buyer who used a credit card to submit payment to paypal for an item picked up at the door.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Sigh, no. I have learned to take what they tell me with some skepticism. Although less with paypal Customer Service than with ebay. I do take notes, for whatever good it would do me if I needed to argue that I was only following the advice given when I got into deeper trouble.

If I find time to call paypal tomorrow about this, I'll come back to the thread with my findings. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I called today since I am procrastinating and had a bad phone connection with the CSR, it sounded like she a headset cutting in and out.

Anyway, my first question was do changes to the Paypal UK user agreement affect me as an ebay seller registered in Canada and she said 'No. that I'm covered under the paypal Canada User Agreement regardless to whom I sell'. So these changes to the UK UA are not relevant for us BUT

Does it means that sellers under the UK UA can no longer say 'We prefer cash on pickup'? The USA agent was not able to pull up the UK UA so she transferred me to an agent in the International Paypal Department who said Cash on Local Pickup with Cash is not considered a paypal transaction. Point of Sale means every transaction that takes place within a paypal account. 

I still don't get it, other than to know it doesn't affect us.... 

Yet.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Cash on Local Pickup with Cash is not considered a paypal transaction. Point of Sale means every transaction that takes place within a paypal account. 

Sounds awfully mealy mouthed, imo.  Seller puts up a listing.  Buyer confirms to buy.  Goes and pays cash.  Not a PP transaction.  

Seller puts up a listing.  Buyer confirms to buy.  Mails a personal cheque.  Suddenly a PP transaction???????

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

A hard copy cheque would not be a transaction within PayPal.  

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

No, according to what I understood, that would also not be a paypal transaction. 

The CSR made it sound like paypal points of sale are only the ones that take place within your account. 

In that respect, the UK UA changes still don't make any sense. You can't accept paypal for a transaction and then tell the buyer you don't take paypal for that transaction. 

Maybe she thought I was confused about Protection as opposed to point of sale. OR she was confused. I made myself as clear as is possible but you must admit I am splitting hairs on this. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Or she thought that I meant 'terms of sale' when I said (and really meant) 'points of sale'.

Like the paypal rep from the USA, she didn't have the UK UA changes in front of her either.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

changes still don't make any sense. You can't accept paypal for a transaction and then tell the buyer you don't take paypal for that transaction. 

EXACTLY.   It still looks to me that PayPal is trying to press terms on people which they have no legal authority to do.  Creating intentionally vague terms of agreement will not help them because inquiring into what is specifically meant is NOT splitting hairs.  Its what lawyers to all the time.  

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Oh well. At least we know that we don't need to worry about it here. That much was clear.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply