Paypal fee increase

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Beginning April 12, 2017, PayPal is simplifying the prices we charge for transactions and will be removing tiered merchant rates on Canadian domestic and international purchase payments. If you are currently receiving a merchant volume discount, this will result in an increase to some of your rates.

Your new rate will be 2.9% + $0.30 CAD for domestic transactions and 3.9% + fixed fee for international transactions, excluding US buyers. Your new rate for sales to US buyers will be 3.7% + fixed fee. The fixed fee is set out in the PayPal Canada User Agreement available here.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Paypal fee increase

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Beginning April 12, 2017, PayPal is simplifying the prices we charge for transactions and will be removing tiered merchant rates on Canadian domestic and international purchase payments. If you are currently receiving a merchant volume discount, this will result in an increase to some of your rates.

Your new rate will be 2.9% + $0.30 CAD for domestic transactions and 3.9% + fixed fee for international transactions, excluding US buyers. Your new rate for sales to US buyers will be 3.7% + fixed fee. The fixed fee is set out in the PayPal Canada User Agreement available here.

The above is for merchant rates. The 3.7% for US was already increased a couple of years ago for most Canadian sellers using regular PayPal services. So no change for me and most sellers here, no? Or am I missing something?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

The volume discount starts at only $3k/month (based on prior month) so lots of us will be getting a .4% or more increase on app payments  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

@tobysh-tzu wrote:

Beginning April 12, 2017, PayPal is ... removing tiered merchant rates on Canadian domestic and international purchase payments. If you are receiving a merchant volume discount, this will result in an increase to some of your rates.

Your new rate will be 2.9% + $0.30 CAD for domestic transactions and 3.9% + fixed fee for international transactions, excluding US buyers. Your new rate for sales to US buyers will be 3.7% + fixed fee.

Non-merchant sellers had their rates changed to those levels last year (Apr/2016).

Just some more paypal profit nibbling.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

This was my favourite line:

"PayPal is simplifying the prices we charge for transactions, but please note that these changes do not apply to you and this email is for your information only."

So why send it to me then!

It did include what my rates are in a table at the bottom.....

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

there is no more volume discount regardless everyone is charged the same high rates now

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

fhg1653
Community Member

I have just been stung by PayPal's policy of collecting US State Sales Tax on behalf of eBay, because it seems that PayPal is UNFAIRLY charging the Seller 2.9% on the Sales Tax assessed to the Buyer's purchase, based on their residency, when I, as the Seller, am not in receipt of that Tax money, and have no ability to accurately increase my Selling Price to cover that variable cost!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

It is SO not a good idea to bump up a three-year old thread about a PayPal fee increase with your concerns about how PayPal is charging its fees on the transaction value where eBay has charged sales tax.  There are several more recent threads kicking around on this subject.

I hope not too many people have seen the subject of this thread and had heart attacks.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them may be out of date and incorrect.

For example, there is no mention here of Managed Payments.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Paypal fee increase

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply