Paypal is down? Potential bidders can't bid!

I've never seen this before. I got a message from a bidder saying she couldn't bid because she got a pop-up saying "seller does not have a linked Paypal account."  Well I sure do. LOL

So I went to PP but the site is down and that's probably why the eBay machine wouldn't allow her bid. It couldn't get into Paypal. This is terribly crazy. Make me look bad, but it also means people can't pay and I can't access my funds.

Anyone seen this happen before? Does it last long?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

The paypal page from my bookmark loaded slowly but I was able to log in without incident just now.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

It's doing nothing for me. This is really bad if people can't bid. I have a load of BINs to go up tonight and the first night is key. I can't do it now.  I can't even access my funds. This is a first. For me, anyway.

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.paypal.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I used your link from your post and got to PayPal without problem.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I went to https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/home and had no trouble.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Thanks for checking. I'm still not getting anything.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Thanks, but nothing there either.

I checked the "IsItDownRightNow" site and other Canadians are having the same issue.

I don't think it's my computer because someone wrote and said she couldn't bid. I'm flummoxed.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

That message is really odd. I am fairly sure that a linked account is not required in order for a buyer to bid.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

If it's account-specific, it might be in the OP's best interests to call PayPal and see if there might be something funny going on?
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Yes, but I think it's because eBay couldn't connect with Paypal to make sure my seller account it linked.  It seems like that anyway. I dunno. It's all very strange.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Yes, of course. Bit of a Catch-22? 🙂

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I'm not alone, but it's not everybody.

http://downdetector.com/status/paypal/map/

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

If it were me and I had auctions ending tonight that people couldn't bid on, I'd be plenty upset.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

If the error can be logged by enough people, eBay may forgive auctions ending without good bidding results; they've done so in the past.
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I read this last night which may be a different problem but has to do with PayPal.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m04/i26/s03

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

That was a Returns issue, right? That whole section of eBay elicited the same technical error.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I think it's clearly some sort of compatibility issue with PP, eBay, browsers etc.

I won't be putting up any listings tonight. Had a load of  BINs ready, but  if people can't purchase when they want it, I'll lose them.  And they may not be back.  I have one listing up, and people can't bid. It's a big listing too. Very unhappy with this business today. 

I can't sell, buy, pay bills or access my funds.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Okay, turns out people "can" bid. But I still can't get into PP. 'Server Down" message on Firefox, Chrome and Mustang (I never heard of that one either, but it's one of my husband's). There are a lot of people with the same issue.

I sold two items yesterday. No Paypal confirmation emails on Outlook, but they turned up on BellNet mail. Until I actually see it in Paypal, I can't ship. This is happened to others where the buyer paid but the funds were not in their Paypal account.

Does anyone have a handy Paypal CS phone number? There's a bunch online, but I read they don't work.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

888-215-5506

I just printed off two labels and haven't had any problems with Paypal so perhaps it is specific to certain servers.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Did you try this? It's a post from someone else who was having problems.

Today, they suggested logging on not through the usual URL, but through "business.paypal.com" and then clicking "activity" link. It worked,

Message 20 of 29
latest reply