Phone Numbers Required for PP Shipping?

I've been trying to print a PP shipping label but can't because I get a message that the phone number is invalid.

It this a glitch or do we now require our customers' phone numbers to use PP shipping?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Doesn't seem like a glitch.

The CPO website requires phone numbers and it looks like PP shipping might be picking this up too.

I'm using my phone number and that works but I think they really want buyer's numbers.  Yikes!  Can't email every buyer bugging them for phone numbers.

They'll think I'm daft.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The PO rules are that if you don't have their number yours is ok.

Others on the board here have been using 000-000-0000 successfully too.

You can get the phone number from the "view sales record" action if you are using the seller hub on .COMland, I can't recall where it is found on the .CA  side (selling manager?), someone else will know that I'm sure....

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

A seller can set the requirement for a buyer's phone number on eBay...

Start with ..... Account

> Site preferences

> Selling Preferences.... click ...Show ... on the right 

> Check off... Require phone number for shipping

and then click .... Apply

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

As a quick note to Cumos point, if one does that I assume it blocks people who don't have phone numbers on their account.

I've noticed a few of my buyers don't have phone numbers on their account, haven't lost anything to any of them......
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Sounds like this isn't new.  Just new to me.  For some reason all my shipments today got blocked because of the phone number thingy but that was a first for me.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Using your own number works for almost any foreign destination. There are a small number of countries where Customs or the local PO might actually use a phone number.

Customs may need them in Israel or Brazil, local Post Offices sometimes use them in parts of Asia (Hong Kong, Indonesia and maybe a few others). Lack of a number wouldn't normally prevent delivery but it might slow things down.

For the rest of the world it's virtually meaningless, neither local Customs or PO will ever contact recipients by telephone.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

ah...I see I'm not the only one faced with this. I am using the old shipping site for now. I don't want to list my phone number on the pkg

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I find that my number, as the seller, always appears on the Canada Post shipping labels. Lately, as the OP said, PP is requiring the buyer's number as well. I have been adding it (finding it in the sales record) but it is a pain because you have to go in and 'edit' the shipping address in PP to continue with the shipping form. As a buyer, I would not particularly appreciate my number being displayed on the label either. Would it not make sense for that info to stay "in the system" so to speak, without being shown on the shipping label??

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

How about the phone number at your local Postal Outlet? Or City Hall ? or a radio station?

And sometimes 000-000-0000 works.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@custom_shop_designed wrote:

ah...I see I'm not the only one faced with this. I am using the old shipping site for now. I don't want to list my phone number on the pkg

Then just use a 10 digit number like: 0000000000

-..-

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very amused that the phone numbers are needed to be on the PayPal labels as if the clerk(s) at any post office would call the buyers to inform that their packages have arrived??  It is not like that USPS would do more additional works like calling the buyers!!  What is the point as USPS do delivery!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I am very amused that the phone numbers are needed to be on the PayPal labels as if the clerk(s) at any post office would call the buyers to inform that their packages have arrived??  It is not like that USPS would do more additional works like calling the buyers!!  What is the point as USPS do delivery!

The phone numbers are for customs clearance use.

This is a one-size-fits-all change for the entire world, including the USA (not just the USA).

-..-

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

These are Customs requirements.  More and more parcels are pre-cleared, eg, the info including the Customs Declarations is sent to both the sending and the receiving countries' Customs Services when the label is scanned at Canada Post.  Telephone numbers are handy should investigations be required.  As "mj" has posted so many times, the buyer's phone number is on the Sales Record.

Here is some info:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#138268

1.1.1    Completing customs documents

Every item must have the following:
* A proper service label affixed to the item or inserted in an adhesive plastic pouch (labelope).
NOTE:     Canada Post does not accept multiple-piece shipments with duplicate tracking numbers. Customers can only use tracking numbers assigned to them by Canada Post and must not manufacture their own.

* Complete address including but not limited to the origin and destination’s street address, city, state/province and valid postal code, and the sender and receiver’s name and/or company name and telephone number must be printed clearly, accurately and legibly on the item or on the label affixed to the item. All addresses must include city and/or region (province, state, locality) and postal code if that destination has a postal code system.

* Customs information including the reason for export and instructions in the event of non-delivery.

* An accurate description of the contents and quantity of items - Customs in the international destination need to know exactly what the contents are. Customs Declarations must be completed clearly, accurately, and legibly. (e.g. if the item contains a cotton t-shirt, specify 100% cotton, new or used). Do not use general terms such as “GIFT” or “CLOTHES”. Distinct items should be listed separately. A proper description means customs is less likely to open the package.

* The country of origin/manufacture and Harmonized System (HS) code (if applicable). Please note, Province of origin is required when the country of origin/manufacture is Canada for items destined to the U.S.A.

* The value of contents and currency, stated in Canadian dollars ($CAD).

* The insured value (when coverage is purchased) or declared value for carriage.

* The net weight.

* The signature of the sender.

* An acceptable proof of payment.

NOTE:  Failure to provide any of the above information may result in delays or non-delivery and voids any applicable delivery guarantees. For Priority Worldwide shipments, it is the shipper’s sole responsibility to complete the Priority Worldwide shipping label correctly including the customs declaration. Each shipment is declared as a separate entity and is uniquely identified in the declared itemized list of contents area on the shipping label. Canada Post employees are prohibited from signing the Priority Worldwide shipping label, Declaration/Commercial Invoice on behalf of the customer.

Shipping documentation may be transmitted to or shared with domestic or international customs and postal administrations or designated postal operators.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I have always wrote my buyer's number on the envelope. No one told me they had an issue with it so far... And I have had a couple times where the post office called me to tell me my (gigantic) parcel is available for pick up, probably cuz it was taking up too much space lol.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Customer is in the US, I am in Canada, sold an item on .CA

If I enter my phone number will it stay with the purchasers information? ie the next time they purchase something from Canada (or anywhere) is my phone number the one on record?

Also, since we already have the info (found on sales record) I wonder why isn't it entered already - like the address is.

This is also a very recent change for me - April 2017.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Phone number info:  You are generating the label, not the purchaser.  It will not be on any record or label for anything purchased from someone else.   Only on a label you create. 

Entering phone number:  go to My eBay - Sales Summary - Awaiting Shipment or Paid & Shipped.  Click the down arrow on left column, choose "print shipping labels or invoices".  On the bottom line, choose "Edit invoice and address label template".  You can choose to add your phone number and/or your buyer's phone number to the shipping label.  As well, you can choose from other options, and customize your invoice/packing slip.  These choices then appear on any invoice, packing slip, or shipping label created through PayPal.  We will have to see how this works with Shippo.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

The last few labels I've made have had the phone number included so I did not have to put it in manually.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Phone number info: makes much more sense than my scenario! (paranoid much? lol)

Entering phone number: thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

Message 19 of 19
latest reply