Product Reviews on Currency - absolutely ridiculous

I looked at one of my listings and noticed Ebay.com is allowing product reviews on currency. Item # 391548642738

Has any one noticed this as well?

Ebay is getting more absurd all the time

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Why would this be ridiculous?

This is a collectible item with a grading certificate.

Collectors have opinions on such items. Even to the extent of challenging grading and getting new certification if they are really unhappy or unsure about the original.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'd be interested to know how one knows if any of their items have received product reviews.

I looked at some of my items, ones I figured had a good chance of them and one did have one review, it was simply 5 stars with no comments.

Only one other one had the "potential" to have product reviews, ie it was there but none had been received. 

That is a bit odd because all of them theoretically should be able to have product reviews on them they are pretty well the same.

At least in OPs case the rating is ok, and the wording is very good, it could be worse!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I have to agree with 'dutchman'.  I think the idea of "product reviews" is totally misplaced where collectibles, vintage, antiques, etc. are concerned, mainly because the reviews were intended to compare more or less identical, branded, mass-produced commercial goods where it's simple and possible to meaningfully weigh apples against apples.  

Even an expert's grading of something like a coin or collectible paper money may not be the same as another's.  When it comes to that level of refinement, I don't think it's appropriate to have non-expert buyers giving "product reviews".  Somehow too, the very idea of slapping up a "product review" by a layperson on a rare, possibly OOAK item rankles. 

A collectible or vintage item is likely going to have aspects (not just wear and tear sort of issues) that will set it apart in some way, however subtle, from one that appears similar.  I understand the OP's outrage at having someone who has purchased a "similar" item from another seller seeming to grade his own listed item -- and right up front on the OP's listing at that.  

The inference is that if eBay is displaying a "product review" from another purchase, the product itself must be identical, i.e. the review must apply equally to the OP's item.  However, the OP's item may actually have important differences from other, similar collectible items that has nothing to do with manufacturing quality or "good value for the money". 

The buyer's comment? "Very fair price.  Many on market for much more".  He's talking about the other seller  from whom he purchased a "similar" collectible item.  There are no UPC codes to compare identical collectibles (a silly concept in itself).  How can anybody determine whether this buyer knows what he's comparing?  This is just rubbing salt in the wound from the OP's point of view.   

No, eBay cooked up this brilliant idea without giving full thought to the implications for those of us who sell items you can't compare to stuff you can buy from Wal-Mart et al

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I've had reviews about coins and banknotes that haven't sold.

Some, if not most of those reviews, are generalized and rarely about the specific item in the listing .

One or several same reviews could be in numerous 1954 silver dollar, 1833 penny, or whatever listing.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I had made the assumption the product ratings can also be left after someone purchases one.

Clearly in OPs situation they haven't as it is a quantity of one. 

In my case, it is a multi-item listing. I assumed someone who purchased one left the rating.... so it is another way for a buyer to "feedback" an item too....

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I have a problem that a 3rd party can leave a review on my listing for an item that they bought from someone else!

It is absolutely ridiculous and absurd on Ebay's behalf

The review should have been left on the item he or she purchased from the other seller!

I guess what I think it means is, if I buy something from A, I can go to B, C, and so forth and leave reviews on their items that may or may not be the same.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Ah, yes.

That is a different point and a valid one.

When an item is mass manufactured like a laptop, a review of the product makes sense.

For a review of a quasi-unique collectible, it makes little sense.

Another badly thought through imitation of an Amazon practice.

But not as funny.

(Have you seen the reviews of Haribo sugar-free Gummi Bears?)

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I think I will ask on Wednesday Chat and see what I get for an answer!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Another badly thought through imitation of an Amazon practice.

But not as funny.

Yes, I meant to add up above that not only did eBay get the knock-off review idea wrong, but they were late to the game, too.  Just about everybody else had a review system in place before they started it.  

Of course, eBay had begun using its FB system for seller punishment, so they must have realized they had no place for buyer input that wasn't also connected with seller service or transaction satisfaction (DSRs).  This was stupid.  They should have just got rid of the awkward FB system and permitted reviews only on items that actually had commercial UPC numbers.  

This is all connected with eBay's determination to act as if it were an online Sears store, as if it had nothing but professional sellers offering only brand-new, factory-made, commercial goods.  We all know that is far from the reality. 

Now in this regard I have to say that Etsy has a far better review system that works well with OOAK-type items.  It's a completely open review, no prompting with leading (or irrelevant) questions, no assumption that one item is being compared to another.  The buyer can regard the review as a rating of the seller's service, or how they like what they've purchased, or both.  They can simply rate the transaction (1 to 5 stars), or rate it and leave a comment.  There is also enough room -- not just 80 characters' worth -- for a meaningful comment, and if appropriate, a response by the seller.  The system works.  They've never used it as a tool to punish or rate sellers, and hopefully never will if they've learned anything from eBay. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I could've done  reviews on some of the so-called 'uncirculated' banknotes I've received.

And I also could've done reviews on some of the uncirculated banknotes I've received.

The concern is where will the positive and less than positive reviews end up.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

There is a huge difference in a review and feedback, especially with collectibles of any sort.

If your note was not unc, how can it be reviewed as an unc note? There are also many differences with unc of course. Does Ebay even care?

Reviews should only be done on new mass produced goods where they are all the same or can we review a used item and it goes onto a seller selling brand new.

Ebay needs to hire some people with marketing skills instead of just doing things willy nilly, with no thought going into it

Message 12 of 12
latest reply