Proof of Concept: New Lightweight Parcel Product

Here's an interesting note that was sent to post offices last week. Seems like Canada Post is working on a new option for sellers to ship lightweight items relatively cheaply within Canada without having to send them Lettermail. Seems to be a very basic parcel service - no tracking or insurance - similar to small packet service to the States.

I know nothing more than what is shown in this image. It says "mid-July" but I haven't heard anything else, nor do I know who this is being offered to at the moment (I would assume high volume commercial sellers perhaps?).

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

It is not the shipping of small lightweight items domestically that is the only problem, but to the US and other international locations where the rules are totally different and the cost is atrocious.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for the insider information, dinomite.

You are a useful resource.

e5238dfa8a71d05f0e388719f23ef42a--physique-patch-1.jpg

Also thanks for the term 'sortation barcode". Good to know.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I agree, cheaper shipping options need to be addressed for lightweight packages to USA & International destinations.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

No tracking? What a joke. Canada Post is stuck in the 1900's.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Interesting. I wonder if that means that they are going to stop allowing oversize lettermail or for lettermail to be shipped with goods domestically?

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if that means that they are going to stop allowing oversize lettermail or for lettermail to be shipped with goods domestically?

International changes are coming in that respect so domestic changes would make sense as well to have consistent policy.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Here's an interesting note that was sent to post offices last week. Seems like Canada Post is working on a new option for sellers to ship lightweight items relatively cheaply within Canada without having to send them Lettermail. Seems to be a very basic parcel service - no tracking or insurance - similar to small packet service to the States.

If it's a Small Packet equivalent -- without the the 2cm thickness limit that oversize lettermail has -- that would be a welcome addition to domestic choices. What will matter is the pricing and if sellers can buy online.

-..-

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Ohhh....I didn't catch that. That would be handy.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Yep.
There is a barcode on it. Why not extend its usefulness.
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yep.

Average carrier work day is spent chasing people for signatures on cheap international registered mail and scanning international packages that Canada Post is losing money on.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

That's what Expedited Parcel is for.

Canada Post bean counters know how to charge extra for the parcel service perks....

-..-

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

That's what Expedited Parcel is for.

Canada Post bean counters know how to charge extra for the parcel service perks....

-..-

I think this one actually comes from the marketing department. Tracking is an upsell feature you see. This is the same department that slapped the label "expedited" on parcels that take longer than my international shipments often do. Smiley LOL

They should be introducing a parcel service that guarantees scan/sort machine compatibility (rigid or boxed with consistent label format) and one acceptance/delivery confirmation scan. But then they would actually have to behave like a modern postal service, which is currently inconsistent with their operations.
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

More than 2 cm thick ......

.....  with a parcel weighing  less than 500 grams

..... with L x W x H less than 90 cm 

..... equivalent to "thick"  lettermail

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

First thing I thought when I saw this.  Wouldnt be the first time they made out something better was coming only for it to turn out far worse.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

More than 2 cm thick ......

..... with a parcel weighing  less than 500 grams

..... with L x W x H less than 90 cm 

..... equivalent to "thick"  lettermail

Thick lettermail can not be over 2 cm thick.

Standard Lettermail maximums:

24.5 x 15.6 x 0.5 cm, max weight of 50g

Oversize Lettermail (and Light Packet) maximums:

38 x 27 x 2 cm, max weight of 500g

Small Packet and Tracked Packet maximums:

Length plus width plus height is less than 90 cm (no side longer than 60 cm)

Lightweight Parcel (concept testing):

Length plus width plus height is less than 90 cm (no side longer than 41 cm)

Max weight of 500g

www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028

www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

-..-

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Lightweight Parcel (concept testing):

Length plus width plus height is less than 90 cm (no side longer than 41 cm)

Max weight of 500g

How does that compare with USPS services?

I had to find a ruler with both systems but that's about 16"x12"x 6" (36" total) and around a pound.

Does that match the size of any of USPS' Priority boxes?

Seems to be smaller than the Large box and larger than the Medium box.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yep.

Average carrier work day is spent chasing people for signatures on cheap international registered mail and scanning international packages that Canada Post is losing money on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes on the first-- Only 8RMB  for International Registered -- about $1.48 Cdn.

Although we should also compare that to the Chinese cost of living and average income.

Scanning packages costs the same wherever they come from.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yes on the first-- Only 8RMB  for International Registered -- about $1.48 Cdn.

Although we should also compare that to the Chinese cost of living and average income.

Scanning packages costs the same wherever they come from.

Scanning isn't the issue per se, rather is the terminal dues that Canada Post receives for delivering it. They performing the same process/workload/costs as a parcel shipment but being reimbursed at lettermail rates. Carriers and staff at the processing centers are neck deep in processing shipments Canada Post is losing money on.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Registration is a very old service -- it was originally called 'money packet' and goes back to the first Post Offices.

I think International Registration in Canada costs $17.50 plus the regular postage.

In the same way that $1.48 for China Post registration is in addition to the regular international lettermail rate.

But there is obviously a huge difference between what CP and CPO  have as costs, not even including CPO's mandate to cover costs / make a profit, while CP is subsidized.

And there is part of the UPU kerfuffle.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply