Province of origin ????????

I just printed out a PayPal label for the USA. I have not sold anything for a few weeks. The process usually requires that I state the country of origin. This is a 65 year old piece of electrical equipment made in Canada so I enter Canada and out pops a drop down that wants to know Province of origin - how the heck would I know that. It will not let me proceed until I fill in the box.

I put in Alberta because that is where I am located and it worked

This is stupid.

Can anyone fill me in on this please?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have also noticed this the past few weeks.  Seems it started around the time the HS Code requirements started.  I have also just entered my home Province as I have no idea what else to enter.  Most items don't mention a Province of manufacture anywhere on them, so I don't know how Canada post expects us to provide it.  More hassle from C.P. - they will soon be asking us for our shoe size no doubt! Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I also just typed in my province.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Well I've given up on Paypal shipping long ago. Over and above the "too much information" component that's not required on manual labels, a bigger reason was the label sizes. I ship small bubble pack envelopes and I had to to manually shrink the label using print settings (at least that was the case when I used to use it). Then cut it out and tape it or glue it. just too time consuming. Oddly this is one area where the old way is just quicker. I find it much quicker to use avery templates for 3 x 4 inch labels. I just cut and paste the address from the Paypal  "print shipping label" page to the avery software and spit out my stick on label. I then use either the small packet declaration (also used for light packet and tracked packet) or expedited declaration. The only information you have to provide on either of those forms is the description of the item and it's value for customs. Not required to fill out the address on either form either.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Now I am getting a copy of the Canada Post email sent to my buyer informing him of the tracking number and that I have asked that he be updated on the status of the package.

I did not request that - at least I don't think I did.

More emails to clog up my inbox.

Again - this is stupid.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Well, Ross, my take on all of this is integration of the world's Customs services. All parcels will be scanned in with the Customs info. This will speed up Customs clearance in other countries, primarily the USA, for us.

I put my home province in. It means very little anyway as you are shipping under any sort of Customs limits that require more paperwork.

Everyone gets on board with this initiative, or, CP will be charging the shipper $2 every time they need to look us this info, print it, attach it to the parcel, letter, whatever. That starts this fall.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

For books  the address of the publisher identifies the Province of Origin.

For other items one has to look  where the item was manufactured.....the address of the manufacturer.... 

Look it up on Google....... or look on the box... or where ever one might find the information...

Sometimes  the address is not readily available....  seller's option....  perhaps an educated guess  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It seems that no one has an answer. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure where something was manufactured. It doesn't ask me for US states or Chinese provinces. We haven't separated yet. When something is manufactured in Canada, it's says made in Canada. I will be asking Canada Post about this.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

This is an old thread from years ago.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply