Read the Fine Print!

I just went through the 2014 Spring Seller Update line by line, and would encourage all sellers who are serious about their status on EBay to do the same.  EBay is tightening up their expectations of sellers, and there are some critical points in the "fine print". 

I've put the link here for easy reference, but I'd also say that the Seller Checklist (at the top left on the page) is a good thing to keep handy, to avoid suddenly finding yourself with a bunch of defects as of Aug. 20th:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html

Items that particularly caught my attention: 

1)  Don't initiate a cancellation process if the buyer hasn't specifically requested it -- you'll get a defect.

2)  Neutral FB will now count as a defect;

3)  Don't bother to ask a buyer to revise negative or neutral FB anymore -- if you do, the transaction will count as a defect;

4)  Open cases will be counted as defects, but only if the buyer chooses INR or INAD in the resolution centre or through "Contact Seller".  This may be important, because a lot of sellers have been complaining that "Contact Seller" leads buyers to open cases when they really didn't intend to.  We'll see how that works out in practice.

5)  Sellers get a bit of leeway on Shipping Time DSRs (has to be a rating of 1 to count as a defect), but the "Item as Described" DSR will be counted more strictly -- a "3" will be enough to count as a defect (ouch).  So good photos and accurate descriptions will be more critical than ever.

Some positive news:  eBay has given sellers a bit of a gift on the "Shipping Cost" and "Communications" DSRs.  These will still be able to be rated by buyers, but won't count toward defects (i.e. for seller information only).  All I can say about that is: Finally!

Defects will be rated more stringently for Global TRS and US TRS, although the other programme requirements haven't been changed.  US TRS+ is another story: package tracking and the new "Extended holiday return" policy will make that designation even more difficult for Canadians to achieve. 

All in all, I imagine that sellers who aren't up to speed on the new defect rules are going to find themselves with a not-so-pleasant surprise on their dashboards come August 20th.  EBay obviously wants all its sellers to behave like professionals, and consistently.  Toughen up everybody!

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Read the Fine Print!

From the Seller Update link

eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described

is a defect

Buyer's remorse does not count

Just as today, sellers can have a maximum of 0.3% of eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection closed cases without seller resolution over the most recent evaluation period. That means the buyer opened the case, you weren't able to resolve it, the buyer reached out to eBay or PayPal to review it, and eBay found you responsible.

Closed cases without seller resolution count as a defect...

• Cases found in your favour don't count. Any case that escalates to eBay or PayPal for review and is found in your favour, or found to be no fault of the buyer or seller, won't count against your performance rating. It won't be counted as a defect and it won't count toward your percentage of cases closed without seller resolution.

One can think of many situations where the case is opened  and then closed in the seller's favour.

(1) Tracking shows the parcel has been delivered.

(2) Seller has refunded without question   (no tracking available)

(3) Buyer returns for refund... Seller refunds.... 

If the seller resolves the case....  and in many cases that means seller refunds without question.....  the opened case does not count against the seller as a defect...  

However,  other factors such as negative/neutral feedback  and  low ratings may make this a defect.

The fact that the opened case has been resolved by the seller  should not... and most likely will not make that opened case classified as a defect...

The fact that this percentage is so low...   0.3 % ... that is 3 per 1000 transactions ....Makes it imperative that the seller resolve the case... and not have the case count against the seller.. as a part of that 0.3 %

We have to separate opened cases resolved or not resolved by the seller   ....towards the 0.3 %... and then opened cases that will actually count as a defect....  That 5 % 

The opened case may not count against the seller... However, the buyer  can, and most likely will do something else that will make that transaction defined as a defect.

Message 21 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@mr.elmwood wrote:

It is not our defect rate that is important, it is how it relates to everyone else.

That's a good point to remember.  Consider this:  with this Update, eBay has changed the game -- they are telling us that we'll now be competing directly against each other for placement, etc., refereed by eBay, and not directly, exclusively by our customers (DSRs). 

This is a broader test to meet, with (as I said earlier) more potential areas to watch for.  It means that the sellers who give the best service to buyers are going to rise to the top.  Those who want to "fight City Hall" can fill their boots, but will end up stuck in the mud [pardon the mixed metaphors].

One other thing I wanted to mention, that will affect many of us -- we're going to need to keep a closer eye on inventory, to avoid having to cancel transactions due to items being unavailable. 

Message 22 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@cumos55 wrote:

The opened case may not count against the seller... However, the buyer  can, and most likely will do something else that will make that transaction defined as a defect.

Yes, I think that's vital for sellers to remember.  Even if a case is decided in the seller's favour, a buyer may still leave neutral/negative FB -- a defected transaction.  Or the buyer may decide to leave a low DSR for "Item as Described", etc. 

As I said, it's going to be up to the individual seller to ensure that every customer is as happy with the transaction as possible, which is why I agree with you that unconditional, prompt, and cheerful returns are going to become the norm for sellers who want to maintain their status.

Message 23 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@rose-dee wrote:

@cumos55 wrote:

Yes, I think that's vital for sellers to remember.  Even if a case is decided in the seller's favour, a buyer may still leave neutral/negative FB -- a defected transaction.  Or the buyer may decide to leave a low DSR for "Item as Described", etc. 

As I said, it's going to be up to the individual seller to ensure that every customer is as happy with the transaction as possible, which is why I agree with you that unconditional, prompt, and cheerful returns are going to become the norm for sellers who want to maintain their status.

Take that message to the masses. Good luck. It has started over on SC.com. Every little thing is now being held up "IS THIS A DEFECT?". Sellers (?) with that question oughta take a look in the mirror.

This is gonna be so much fun after Aug 20.

Photobucket
Message 24 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@mr.elmwood wrote:

This is gonna be so much fun after Aug 20.

Yes, there will no doubt be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth en masse from those who didn't read the notices carefully the first time.  It will no doubt separate the men from the boys (women from the girls).

Message 25 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

nan*55
Community Member

Here's my thoughts.... it is what it is!!! 

What will be will be!!!!!

Do the best job you can and stop worrying!!!!

Message 26 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@nan*55 wrote:

Here's my thoughts.... it is what it is!!! 

What will be will be!!!!!

Do the best job you can and stop worrying!!!!

True, but forewarned is forearmed, and as they say, ignorance of the law (rules) is no excuse for breaking it.  Sellers who ignore the details of these changes and carry on as before will have a bit of a rude awakening. 

Still, I agree that those who are the best sellers already will benefit from the new rules.  I see this as yet another move by eBay to obligate its sellers to "professionalize".  It won't mean anything to the bigger commercial sellers on this site who already have "no questions asked returns" and big volumes, but it will make occasional, uninformed selling more difficult.

Message 27 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

On eBay

It  be knowing what NOT  to do that will get you ahead.

The most important thing done over the years was to "read" the board on eBay.com

Read about the people with problems.... and file that information away for continued reference.

Many times  the people with problems, knew the answer.

However,  they refused to acknowledge  they were not doing it right...

and 

eBay was wrong.... they were right ... even ....when eBay said... Thou shalt NOT....

...One last thing....

Many times  people made dramatic changes adjustments  with each update.... and state... eBay made me do this

More appropriately...  It has been found that small continuous adjustments  worked best ... and not just a response to Updates....

It is my business... not  eBay's business...

Message 28 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

I could probably guarantee All The Regulars sell with Honesty & Integrity, unfortunately we come across PITAs from time to time.

While these PITAs may have an effect in regards to TRS Status & Placement, What Can We do ?

We have always weathered the storm & have always encouraged others should frustrations arise.

I'm pretty sure the cheerleading will continue after August 20th & beyond.

Message 29 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

"Buyer's remorse does not count"

That is my main concern.  I have a few cancellations every year where a buyer changes his/her mind after choosing one of my sales.

If they paid, I refund the payment and eat the Paypal fees. Don't like that, but have gotten used to it.  I would always proceed with a cancellation request to get back my eBay fees.

Now it sounds to me as if that will go as a defect.  So do I go about getting my eBay fees rightfully returned chancing a defect or do I just grin and bear it to keep the gods happy with my money?  Do I pester this (less than desirable type of) buyer to start the cancellation process?

I guess it depends on the value of the potential sale.  The larger the fee, the more worthy the fight, but my $2 postcards aren't worth the 20 cent fee credited back to me if it costs me a defect.  Instead I would have to relist the postcard at around $2.25 to recoup my total fees for that item - and essentially pushing the extra costs on to the next buyer - an inflationary scheme...

Maybe I have this new policy all screwed up, but it appears to me to be another nickel and dime cash grab - just like what I believe the Paypal refund policy became.

Hopefully I will get this clarified before the next wishy-washy customer comes along, considering that my actions prior to the Aug 20 date will be a factor...

Message 30 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

There are a couple of threads over on .com like that right now. One seller did not open a case file and got hit with a neg for not responding. The other is complaining how his wife got neg, or something, because the object is the picture did not match what she sent. Guy is spouting "case law".

Proactive? Do not make the initial mistake?
Photobucket
Message 31 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

It seems eBay intends to revise or further automate their returns process so that buyers will go through a "Returns" stream to request a return, that will ask them to choose a reason for the return. 

Buyer's remorse reasons won't be acceptable, so I'm assuming from this that a buyer who simply changes his/her mind won't be able to request a return.  It sounds as if the "hassle-free" process they mention is only currently functional on eBay.com (perhaps the "Guaranteed Returns" programme?).  I could be over-reading this, but here is the section of the Update that applies -- notice eBay refers to updating the process:

What counts as a return initiated because the item was not as described?

These reasons for returns are counted as item not as described:

• Missing parts or pieces
  • Damaged during shipment
  • Item defective
  • Item expired

These reasons are not counted as item not as described:

• No longer want item
  • Found better price
  • Wrong size or doesn't fit

How does eBay identify the reason for a return?

Currently, the reason is captured when a buyer initiates a return through the eBay hassle-free return process on eBay.com. In the future, updates will also be made to the post-transaction communications process that will allow eBay to see when any return is initiated because the item was not as described.

I'm actually a bit surprised at "wrong size or doesn't fit".  This is always the biggest concern when you're selling clothing, and I would actually provide a refund and ask for return of a garment if a buyer said it didn't fit.  I wonder why eBay included this?

Message 32 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

Wrong size or doesn't fit.

This is the reason most of my returns exist, however my returns have amounted to five over the years.

While measurements are clearly stated in my descriptions, I have always accepted the returns as FB & DSRs are usually riding on the transaction going their way.

IND or not, the power is still in the Buyers hands & will have to continue accepting returns.

Message 33 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

So, three of us, give or take a Cumos, are discussing what a few hundred thousand have no idea what is happening?

This is gonna hit the fan like FVF on shipping which I knew was coming two YEARS before it hit. There are many that still do not know.
Photobucket
Message 34 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

If the buyer asks for a cancellation of the transaction... Seller Does NOT get a defect....

Message 35 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

@recped wrote:

I suggest that most sellers NOT read any part of the Spring Update that has to do with Seller Performance!

I understand EXACTLY what Recped means!

I always did my best. And I will continue to do my job REGARDLESS of any new measures undertaken by Ebay. 

After Ebay announced the new feedback policy, DSR, tracking numbers etc. I thought I will not survive. In fact, I never ever lost my TRS status on Canadian Ebay and maybe only twice (for a few months) on US site.

And now comes the best - attention! -  my BEST MONTHS EVER were when I had NO TRS, and had 5 negatives/neutrals. My WORST MONTHS EVER were when I was a perfect TRS with only ONE low DSR rating for last 1000.

Ready to draw an appropriate conclusion? 😉

DO NOT READ NEW UPDATES - JUST WORK HARD AND DO YOUR BEST TO IMPROVE YOUR BUSINESS! 😉

Greetings from Quebec (again a part of Canada after the last provincial election 😉

Message 36 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

I rad parts of it and had a conniption. A couple of my friends who are way more level-headed than I went "phsaw" and waved it off. I came around to their way of thinking quite quickly.
Photobucket
Message 37 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

• Cases found in your favour don't count. Any case that escalates to eBay or PayPal for review and is found in your favour, or found to be no fault of the buyer or seller, won't count against your performance rating. It won't be counted as a defect and it won't count toward your percentage of cases closed without seller resolution.

One can think of many situations where the case is opened  and then closed in the seller's favour.

(1) Tracking shows the parcel has been delivered.

(2) Seller has refunded without question   (no tracking available)

(3) Buyer returns for refund... Seller refunds....

If the seller resolves the case....  and in many cases that means seller refunds without question.....  the opened case does not count against the seller as a defect..

(1) If the buyer files an item not received case, seller enters the delivery confirmation number showing that the item has been received, the case is esclated, ebay rules in favour of the seller as item has been delivered - Yes, there will be no defect and will not count as closed case without resolution

(2) INR case opened, seller refunds, no tracking, case isn't escalated - This will count as a defect

INR case opened seller doesn't refund, no tracking, case is escalated, ebay finds in favour of the buyer and refunds their money - Case will count as an unresolved case and as a defect.

(3)  Buyer opens an INAD case - seller refunds, case not escalated - Defect is given.

Buyer opens an INAD case  seller challenges the case and it is escalated, buyer wins - This will count as a defect and an unresolved case

Buyer opens an INAD, seller challenges, case is escalated and seller wins (which seems to be rare) - There will be no defect or unresolved case

So if the seller refunds without question, that case can still count as a defect but will not count as an unresolved case

Message 38 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

I am in a bit of a rush today so just skimmed over most of the posts but I don't think that the following was mentioned.

What is considered a transaction?

A transaction is a purchase from a listing. If a buyer purchases two or more identical items from the same multi-quantity listing, or purchases the same items in different variations such as color or size from the same multi-variation listing, that is considered one transaction. If a buyer purchases items from four different listings from the same seller and combines them into one order, that would be counted as four transactions. Note that the defect rate will not affect your performance rating until you have a transaction  with a defect from 8 different buyers (5 different buyers to affect your Top Rated Seller status).

So for example, if a buyer purchased 2 separate items on 2 different listings and they were shipped together and the buyer gave a 1 on selling time, this would result in 2 defects.  If both items were from the same listing, it would be just 1 defect.

Message 39 of 78
latest reply

Read the Fine Print!

There is a problem....

eBay counts transactions on the Seller Dashboard.....  and if that is so  they cannot change the rules for defects

If there is a purchase of several items from a seller.......  It is one transaction

eBay did bring forward the rule  that if a buyer leaves five low ratings on five purchases all bought and shipped at the same time....only one low rating counts...  one transaction....one low rating.

The same should apply to defects.....  five purchases, one buyer...  one defect....

The number is 8 or 5 different buyers... not defects.

If you go to Walmart  and purchase 5 items  and pay for all it shows up as one transaction,  

Message 40 of 78
latest reply