Refunded funds through PayPal after parcel returned for wrong address. No more mutual refund.

I googled what to do prior to refunding and came to a conclusion that I should refund through PayPal then ask for a mutual cancellation and that would assure me of eBay fees being retuned without a cancellation black mark. Problem is now I have no mutual cancellation just a cancellation which will again refund buyer his money. All I am looking for is  my eBay fees back. They should be returned even though I went though PayPal, right. It may take longer to go through the system. I won't delete the item from the sold listing until fees have been returned.

I spend so much time working things out that it's not worth it any more. In fact it really never was. I just can't stop buying junk.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Refunded funds through PayPal after parcel returned for wrong address. No more mutual refund.

Who told you to do it via Paypal?

It certainly should have been done via Ebay.

If it was returned to you by the carrier, in fact, due to the buyer supplying an incorrect address, he doesn't even GET a refund under the strict letter of the law as per ebay's Moneyback Guarantee. 

Now you have an even bigger problem.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If the buyer requests a return for any reason and you respond to it, you'd not be getting any kind of black mark anyway.

Those only exist for Orders Cancelled before shipment, and Resolution Centre cases that you ignore or fight. 

I don't actually know what you can do now. Maybe another seller can think of a way to recover from this. You might be totally out of luck as far as those Final Value Fees because you circumvented the actual process you should have followed and the whole thing is messed up now.

But know for the future that if you get an order back because it was refused by the buyer or kicked back due to being addressed (by the buyer) incorrectly, that voids the buyer' protection under ebay's MoneyBack Guarantee. It doesn't under paypal's buyer protection but it does under ebay's. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

ebay can only refund the money from the original transaction so if you refunded through the actual transaction on pp, it should not be able to refund the money again.  It may say that is what is going to happen but that is just a generic statement.  Disclaimer....I am going by how other eBay members have said it worked for them but I do know that the transactions are always connected...it can't take out money from a transaction that has a zero balance.

However, I had to do a refund through PayPal a month or so ago and when I did click on cancellation in eBay it told me that A refund had already been done in PP and it wouldn't let me cancel so I'm not sure why and when the various options show up.

The only way to recover fvf may be to phone eBay.

It is better to ask your questions on the discussion boards here than I n google.  eBay rules change a lot so you were probably following advice based on rules thst no longer exist.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply