Refused by customs and returned to seller?

Hey guys/girls, would appreciate some help with a situation I have, ill try and keep it short.

- Sold something

- Shipped to buyers address in Singapore (item was ~$110) and shipping through Canada Post was about $60

- Buyer informed me, and tracking said the package is on its way back to me, again the address I listed was the one provided on the buyers paypal, down to the letter. It was a tie so nothing illegal.

- Customs refuses package for unknown reason, on its way back to me

- Buyer wants me to reship it to him once ive gotten it.

Now im wondering am I totally screwed either way? Ill have to incur the shipping expense (from Singapore to Canada) to even receive the package again before I either ship it out again or decide to keep it and fully refund the buyer. And I have no idea why the package was even refused at customs in the first place, it is just a huge pain in the ass. Anyways, ive learned my lesson regarding shipping things internationally. Anyone have any suggestions? Its really starting to annoy me and most likely I will eat the costs, refund the buyer and relist the item available to only US/Canada buyers.

Thanks, appreciate any help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

hedge88
Community Member

Did you say it was a tie? It isn't on the prohibited lists I've looked at.  On the Singapore Customs site, it says if it is less than $400 it doesn't get taxed, but they need an invoice on the outside of the parcel so they can see the amount, and they include the postal amount in their calculation (if it was over 400 they pay tax on the item and the postage).   Sounds a bit like Germany where they need lots of paperwork.  Could that be it?

Singapore Customs has a webpage on internet purchases.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trad/cle/Internet+PurchasesPostal+Parcels.html#Clearing parcels containing non-dutiable and non-controlled goods of $400 or less in value

I'd wait and see if it says anything on the package.  Even if the buyer was willing to pay for it to be sent again, I wouldn't until I was sure that it wouldn't come back! 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Does it say on the tracking info that customs refused the parcel?

Have you checked the tracking on the Singapore Post site..it may have more information.

http://www.trackingex.com/singapore-post-tracking/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sin...

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I ship a lot of items to China, and other asian Countries, including Singapore.

If you failed to complete the canadapost customs/shipping documents properly, then that might be a problem.    I have never failed to fill out these documents (item contents, where it was made, and value), so have never had such a problem.

I have had items returned to me, and in every case it was because the item was refused by the recipient.

I used to think this meant the buyer refused to pay customs duty, or local tax etc, so delivery was refused, and the item returned to sender.   

I now understand the buyer can refuse to take delivery without reason.     For example, if the buyer decides the no longer want your item, and dont' want to pay to return it to you, they just refused delivery. 

The result is the item is returned to you in Canada, and unless Canadapost makes a mistake, you will have to pay the return mail upon return to you.    In this case, that means a $100 sale, and $60 both ways mail cost, or $120 mail.

The buyer can file an item not received complaint with paypal or ebay, and as the tracking info does not show delivery, the money you received ($160 in your case), will be taken from your account and returned to the buyer.    Paypal will keep their fee.

When it is all over, if you are lucky, you will get your item back, and be out $120 plus the Paypal fees.    You may be able to get your ebay selling fees back.

Now, the 64 dollar question, what can you do about it.    Phone ebay, and see if they will make you whole.    (very unlikely, but you have to ask).   The phone paypal and ask them the same (very unlikey but you have to ask.   Record the date of your call, and the name of the csr you spoke with.

Then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against the company that refunds the buyer (either paypal or ebay).    You need all the details, and dates.    

Every time I get no where with ebay or paypal, I go to the Better Business Bureau, and in all but one case (a negative feedback removal dispute), the BBB complaint has resulted in me being made whole.   The bbb complaints go to higher ups in ebay, who look into what happened, and if you are an innocent victim of following their policy, they are very good about making you whole.

Before filing a bbb dispute, you must give the company the chance to fix the problem.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I did state it was a tie, but didn't include the invoice or the state of manufacture. And still don't know if the seller refused it or not. The tracking on the Singapore Post site just says Returned to Sender. I think ill just have to take this as a lesson and think twice about shipping internationally next time.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

A friend of mine had a box refused and returned by US customs - because the box he used had previously been used to ship frozen fish. That's why turns all my boxes inside out.

About a month ago I used a Depends box turned inside out to ship to the States - felt kinda funny about it and wondered what the buyer would think if he noticed - but got no response.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 6
latest reply