Reminder of Canada Post and Christmas

At the post office today there was a sign stating mail dropped off on the 24th will not be processed until the 29th. After my initial shock the clerk explain the driver was done at noon Wed the 24th and the 26th (Boxing Day is a holiday at least for them). That means the 29th (Monday) is the next business day. I am sure I can drop any mail except Christmas Day but no movement until Monday. This comes with Christmas being on a Thursday or Monday resulting in an extra long delay.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Good reminder,  likely a few buyers will wonder why their item is not arrived, wake up buyers it's Christmas......

As both a buyer and seller I rarely sweat the arrival time, not really something a seller has very much control.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Christmas is a "wild" time of the year.

Just look at the malls... and associated traffic.

I have always assumed that  all mail stops on December 25...nothing gets handled... period.

Boxing day is a holiday....  and then everything else occurs in relation to December 24, 25 and 26.... Check on the Canada Post website for a list of official holiday s for each year

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/corporate/holidayschedule.jsf

----------------------------------

For 2014

My last day for taking mail to a local postal outlet was today.... December 22....

My next day  will be December 29.

I just do not like the idea of parcels sitting in a sorting facility.... only to sit there  for one whole day... December 25...A delivery December 22  means the mail be either be moving or sorted and ready to move before December 25....

Be practical about delivering mail to a postal outlet.....  Do not let it just "sit" there

and above all communicate with your buyers....  for if you say the right thing... they will understand...

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I have never really paid much attention to the holidays before as they last a day or two then life returns to normal. But you helped me on deciding on to turn on my vacation setting . I just did because you are right makes no sense to have packages sitting in a plant or my house until Monday. Besides now I can enjoy my family without having to package anything up.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Funny thing is when I turned on my Vacation setting I just received an order.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I work through the holidays because I don't have a real life and apparently neither do a lot of stamp collectors. It's a good season for me. But, I do send out an email with each order advising buyers of expected delays. Americans don't "do" Boxing Day, and many have Saturday delivery. So our four day shut down this week will leave some of them scratching their heads if they're not made aware of it. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

apparently neither do a lot of stamp collectors.

It's a hobby. Something you do when you are not working.

We found the week after Christmas was always very busy in our shop. We think our clients used their hobby money early* in December to buy gifts, but by Boxing Day they were itching to do something philatelic.

*Since most of them are guys, they were probably not actually shopping, of course.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I'm just a little upset that the Tracked Packet I mailed on Dec 16 still hasn't arrived to my US buyer in Georgia. Last update in tracking history was Dec 17 "Item has arrived in foreign country", and the page says "Expected Delivery: Dec 22"... I highly doubt USPS would deliver at 11pm at night so delivery on Dec 22 ain't happening. I could've used Small Packet Air but I decided to pay a few extra bucks for Tracked Packet since it's x'mas time, just to be on the safe side... and now I just hope it'd get there before x'mas.

On the same day, I mailed Small Packet Air to UK (cheaper than Light Packet lol), and it already arrived and I received a nice positive feedback from the UK buyer saying she'd buy from me again, which is nice.

Just why is shipping to the US so slow when it's so much closer... 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Are you looking up tracking on both Canadapost and USPS. I have found that once the package crosses the border you need to use that countries website.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a package by Tracked Packet that is "sitting" somewhere in USA as of December 15!  And still it is "sitting" there as of December 23!  My buyer is upset and I told him to contact USPS as it is USPS that don't scan it or sitting on the b__t!

It is USPS that is not doing their jobs which is nothing new for the last 2-3 years!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Guess i wont be dropping off mail tomorrow. 

Last thing i want is it to "sit" around somewhere. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

With a 5 day Canada Post holiday I decided to put my store on vacation for a few days. I think the US will have mail service on Friday and Saturday, so it might be easier than explaining the long time it will take for mail to arrive.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Whew. It arrived to the buyer on the 24th and she left me a positive feedback today 😃

Message 13 of 13
latest reply