Reporting a scam account

I received an offer for full price on a Best Offer item from a new member...so new in fact that they just signed up today. Anyway, long story short I'm wondering if anyone has reported a scam account and how they did it. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Reporting a scam account

I've had buyers offer above the asking price and it's not uncommon for buyers just to pay full price rather than haggle.

Why do you think it's not legit?

(Just looked at your listings.  Maybe it's about your category?)

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

They requested my phone number from Ebay and sent me a text message asking for payment information like paypal address. That together with the way they spoke (typed English) made it painfully obvious I was dealing with a scammer. 😔 I already figured out how to report it but thanks for your reply!
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@singleandlooking74 wrote:
I received an offer for full price on a Best Offer item from a new member...so new in fact that they just signed up today. Anyway, long story short I'm wondering if anyone has reported a scam account and how they did it. Thanks! 

singleandlooking74,

I don't know about reporting "scam accounts" but if you have (immediate) concerns about the new eBay user being a scammer, then just use the bidder management tool eBay gives to block the suspected user from buying your item.

http://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

Why do you think it is a scam account?  I've had buyers sign up the same day of the purchase. If they are new they might not understand how best offer works.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@godzilla_goose wrote:

singleandlooking74,

I don't know about reporting "scam accounts" but if you have (immediate) concerns about the new eBay user being a scammer, then just use the bidder management tool eBay gives to block the suspected user from buying your item.

Please don't give incorrect advise. You can't block new users until after the fact. He can block this user now because he has the ID but the buyer will just create a new one to buy with as they all do.

Biggest problem is new seller selling an expensive camera which is a magnet for scammers. Very glad he/she did not fall for it

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@dutchman48 wrote:

@godzilla_goose wrote:

singleandlooking74,

Please don't give incorrect advise. You can't block new users until after the fact. He can block this user now because he has the ID but the buyer will just create a new one to buy with as they all do.

Biggest problem is new seller selling an expensive camera which is a magnet for scammers. Very glad he/she did not fall for it

dutchman48,

Excuse me?  Incorrect advice?

I was looking out for the seller's concerns since he/she HAD the user ID and if he/she had (immediate) concerns about the suspected user buying the camera to use the Bidder Management tool.

Of course, a scammer will register a new user ID.  But, if the scammer uses the new ID to buy the item, THEN that scammer will have violated another eBay policy, unwelcome and malicious buying and then the seller will have to contact eBay anyways and report this.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Even IF the seller has contacted eBay about the suspected scammer, HOW quick is eBay going to respond and deal with the seller's (immediate) concerns?  Even IF eBay were to NARU the suspected scammer, how is that going to prevent the scammer from registering another user ID regardless of the fact that I tried to provide some assistance to the seller/OP?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

Read the US boards and find out that it is no longer a violation to create a new ID if you are blocked from buying with another.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@dutchman48 wrote:

Read the US boards and find out that it is no longer a violation to create a new ID if you are blocked from buying with another.

dutchman48,

The seller is in Canada and I presume is in contact with eBay.ca. I don't know what (if anything) eBay.ca is going to do if the seller/OP has in fact contacted eBay.ca.

Reading the US board about circumventing the seller's blocked bidder lists has a LOT of eBay sellers ANGRY about eBay's change with respect to (unwelcome) bidding/buying.

If eBay is going to IGNORE its OWN policies with respect to unwelcome bidding, they why have such a policy (page)?

From what I understand, the problem appears to be determining INTENT. How is eBay going to determine INTENT of a suspected bidder/buyer that the seller has already chosen for himself/herself NOT to do business with?

Honestly, how can eBay "force" a seller who has made their OWN decision NOT to do business with a bidder/buyer? To me, this really goes against eBay's "venue" status.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

dutchman48,

Even IF eBay NARUs the suspected user ID, what is there to prevent that user from registering another one and using that to buy the OP's camera?

Apart from the seller NOT listing the camera on eBay, what specific advice do you have to offer to the seller/OP?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@godzilla_goose wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

dutchman48,

The seller is in Canada and I presume is in contact with eBay.ca. I don't know what (if anything) eBay.ca is going to do if the seller/OP has in fact contacted eBay.ca.

Reading the US board about circumventing the seller's blocked bidder lists has a LOT of eBay sellers ANGRY about eBay's change with respect to (unwelcome) bidding/buying.

If eBay is going to IGNORE its OWN policies with respect to unwelcome bidding, they why have such a policy (page)?

From what I understand, the problem appears to be determining INTENT. How is eBay going to determine INTENT of a suspected bidder/buyer that the seller has already chosen for himself/herself NOT to do business with?

Honestly, how can eBay "force" a seller who has made their OWN decision NOT to do business with a bidder/buyer? To me, this really goes against eBay's "venue" status.

Ebay.ca is basically non existent in Ebay's eyes. Support is not Ebay.ca, it is Ebay.com and always will be.

CS follow .com rules and if you are in Canada, too bad.

Ebay does what it wants and could care less about their own policies, sellers, or buyers, but sellers the leat.

How long has it been since we have had a chat person for Canada? Ebay US has a whole department.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

@godzilla_goose wrote:

dutchman48,

Even IF eBay NARUs the suspected user ID, what is there to prevent that user from registering another one and using that to buy the OP's camera?

Apart from the seller NOT listing the camera on eBay, what specific advice do you have to offer to the seller/OP?

You and I both know new sellers should not be listing expensive items on Ebay as they have 0 protection from Ebay. Learn the ropes first, and then if you are brave enough, list better.

He is in a high scam area and should not be listing this on Ebay period.

That is my advise to protect him

Sell local pick up and cash only or he will lose both Camera and money.

Why would Ebay naru the buyer, he has done nothing wrong yet and on top of that, Ebay lets scammers continue almost forever

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

dutchman48,

I could only surmise that eBay could NARU the buyer (at this time) IF the buyer's Contact Information is invalid.

As I wrote earlier, the problem is determining INTENT of the bidder/buyer.

IF the bidder actually exercises the seller's price, then the seller will be assessed FVFs. Then, AFTER the seller receives payment, the seller then has to ship the item to the buyer. What happens after that, I do NOT know because I do NOT know the INTENT of the suspected buyer.

IF the buyer turns out to be an actual scammer, then it becomes a pain in the backside for the seller to deal with and I know eBay could NOT care less as long as eBay gets its fees.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be sure to use mail service with tracking number to any place to protect yourself.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Reporting a scam account

They requested my phone number from Ebay and sent me a text message asking for payment information like paypal address. That together with the way they spoke (typed English) made it painfully obvious I was dealing with a scammer. 😔 I already figured out how to report it but thanks for your reply!

singleandlooking74,

I am glad you figured out how to report the scammer AND I also know the scammer is also now NARU.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply