Required field, UPC, is missing. Please add UPC to the listing and retry the operation.

What to do about this: "Required field, UPC, is missing. Please add UPC to the listing and retry the operation." ?

We sell cassette tapes and sometimes they are are of a vintage that predates upc codes.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Required field, UPC, is missing. Please add UPC to the listing and retry the operation.

That's fairly common with pre-1974 books, and the system for books does not seem to accept editions that were not printed in the USA.

Can you enter the title and/or the artist?

That can work for books. Maybe it will for tapes as well.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

I listed an LP Record yesterday. Of course those old records don't have UPC codes either. Anyway, I just ignored it and listed it without entering anything, and it went through ok. 🙂

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

What to do about this: "Required field, UPC, is missing. Please add UPC to the listing and retry the operation." ?

We sell cassette tapes and sometimes they are are of a vintage that predates upc codes.

It sounds as though you can't simply ignore that field because you can't proceed until something is entered.   There are all sorts of older, vintage items that don't have a UPC code.  Some of my items don't (travel sizes, pieces taken from a gift set), and I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with that issue when it arose and I believe it's a requirement that's coming into effect very soon (sooner for you, it seems).  Can you enter all 0's?  People who are searching for cassette tapes are not going to search by UPC code, I'm sure, so that meaningless set of 0's isn't going to confuse anyone.

I have, on occasion, searched for something by its UPC code, but only if there too many variations of that item for sale.  And if that code did not come up in the search, I could certainly find the item in a number of different ways.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

I've wondered about that (shopping by UPC code) too.

My understanding is that UPCs are useful for manufacturers and for retailers, basically for ordering and restocking mass merchandise item.

The UPC prevents a plant from ordering too many Multi-Grain Cheerios and the retailer from having too many MGCs because their bookkeeping systems handle numerical codes more easliy than words. And of course the UPCs are more precise for that purpose.

But in the eBay reselling market? As mentioned many items sold here are pre-UPC.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I've wondered about that (shopping by UPC code) too.

My understanding is that UPCs are useful for manufacturers and for retailers, basically for ordering and restocking mass merchandise item.

The UPC prevents a plant from ordering too many Multi-Grain Cheerios and the retailer from having too many MGCs because their bookkeeping systems handle numerical codes more easliy than words. And of course the UPCs are more precise for that purpose.

But in the eBay reselling market? As mentioned many items sold here are pre-UPC.

As long as the item (post-UPC) is contained in its original box, or has the original price tag affixed, the UPC is readily available.  Or, in the case of CD's, DVD's, games, etc., it's imprinted on the case itself.  And, of course, there are countless other items where the UPC is imprinted on the item.  But pre-UPC, and for many used items, there has to be some way to bypass that field.

Maybe I'm under-estimating the number of people who will search by this code.  Like I mentioned, I might try a UPC search if I'm looking for a particular DVD which has been released and then re-released as a special edition, a collector's edition, an uncut version, etc., and there are dozens and dozens listed.  I try to narrow it down by UPC (which I've usually obtained from another site that sells these items and which indicate the UPC in their description).  Also, with, say, a clothing item (new with tag), I can compare the eBay item price with the identical item sold on many other sites and make a comparison.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, the mandatory requirement for UPC will have on the number of views or sales

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

If you have an old item that does not have a UPC, you are allowed to put "Does Not Apply" in the UPC field.

I read this in this topic and the "Does Not Apply" is posted by an eBay employee.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2015-Spring-Seller-Update/Jeff-Product-Identifiers-Can-You-Help-Me/m-p/...

Same for MPN, you can use "Does Not Apply".

I did read in the topic above that you have issues with bulk editing. Follow the topic about for more details.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

Asked and answered Smiley Happy  Thanks poco I know a lot of people have been wondering about that.

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

I don't think that the UPC code addition to listings is so that buyers can search using it. I believe that it is more for search engines such as google.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

You can ignore it as I just did it again when listing an old LP. 

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

I couldn't ignore it. I was adding a picture to a used vinyl record listing and when I was forced to add the stupid not applicable UPC code before I could save the changes. --ugh--

Does this mean I have to revise ALL my GTC listings for the UPC information for eBay search standards or can I just leave them?

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@moltencore wrote:

I couldn't ignore it. I was adding a picture to a used vinyl record listing and when I was forced to add the stupid not applicable UPC code before I could save the changes. --ugh--

Does this mean I have to revise ALL my GTC listings for the UPC information for eBay search standards or can I just leave them?

If you do not revise the GTC listing, supposed no need to add UPC at this time. But eBay will force you by lowering search visibility over time.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/product-identifiers.html

Last question in the Q & A list.

Will I need to add product identifiers when I revise my Good 'Til Canceled listings?

Manual relists/revisions to existing listings that don't already contain product identifiers will require you to add brand, MPN and GTIN to complete and post the listing.

Good 'Til Cancelled listings that you created before June 29th will continue to appear, even without product identifiers, unless you manually relist them or revise them, but will begin to lose visibility in search results. It's recommended that you edit your listings using bulk editing & relist tool or Turbo Lister to make sure buyers can easily find and purchase your items.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

New topic in eBay.com Selling forum by eBay staff on product identifiers pinned to the top of the forum. Looks like they have been reading the forums and all the BS they created with this new policy. Hopefully some answers in the topic. I am still reading it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-requirement-for-product-identifiers-starts-June-29/m-p/2412...

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

The Spring Seller Update said June 29. Mine all went into effect as of June 15. When I look to see what Product Identifiers are associated with other sellers on ebay.ca who are selling the EXACT same item(s) as me, there are no UPC or MPN or anything else associated with their listings. None. Zero. Zilch. None on their new listings or revised ones. Only mine. 

I posted this as a new discussion because when I tried to search 'product identifiers' it came up with nothing. Never thought to look for the error message and/or the word UPC. Will read on. Thanks.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

I did the same, just ignored at some listings.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply

Does anyone know how this might affect listing item lots, as in putting up a listing with 4 or 5 books, dvds, etc?  Would "Does not apply" suffice.  Perhaps ebay makes a exception on requiring this info on item lots?

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

Does anyone know how this might affect listing item lots, as in putting up a listing with 4 or 5 books, dvds, etc?  Would "Does not apply" suffice.  Perhaps ebay makes a exception on requiring this info on item lots?

In those circumstances, one is supposed to select one of the items (I'm assuming the one most likely to be searched for) and list its UPC while identifying the listing as a 'bundle' in the title. 

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

(At least that is what I remember them telling me at Board Hour when I posed the same question shortly after the Product Identifiers were announced as part of the Spring Seller update.)

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

OK thanks for the input; but selecting 1 item leaves the other 4 or 5 unsearchable I would think.  Seems like a typical ebay answer (which is not much better than no answer as far as problem solving goes).   I have to wonder if ebay thought this new requirement through.  Often upc codes on Canadian items are not in ebays system at all.  So are these items which have upc codes un-listable  since ebay does not acknowledge they exsist?

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

forester_studios wrote:

OK thanks for the input; but selecting 1 item leaves the other 4 or 5 unsearchable I would think.  Seems like a typical ebay answer (which is not much better than no answer as far as problem solving goes).   I have to wonder if ebay thought this new requirement through.  Often upc codes on Canadian items are not in ebays system at all.  So are these items which have upc codes un-listable  since ebay does not acknowledge they exsist?

In that case, here is what I intend to do.... List the most important item's UPC in the actual required UPC field and then create as many other 'custom' item specific UPC fields as are allowed. You need to be on the long form selling form to do it. Call them Other UPC and Even More UPC or something. And then, just to be sure, I'll list all the UPCs in the item description. 

Buyers probably won't search for UPC (unless they're standing in a retail store with their smartphone in hand and looking for cheaper pricing online) but search engines do. When I look for the products that I sell on google, I get amazon results 19 times before I see one from eBay. I'm certain that's the UPC talking there. We do need Product Identifiers on eBay. Implementing them is the difficulty.

Ebay is aware that the UPC for Canadian packages may be different than the exact same in an American one. I've raised it and was told they were looking into it. Use the MPN identifiers too. Pretty much nothing I list can be found in the product catalogue on ebay.ca (is there one?) so I don't know what to expect for resolution there if and when the Catalogue version of the Product Identifiers are shown to be clearly wrong but I know it happens, here and elsewhere. The last order that I placed with Amazon had a new UPC pasted over an old, similar product. It was not what I ordered. Close but no cigar.

Hopefully, when all of this becomes 'official' in two weeks, there will be a timely manner to address item misinformation within the Product Catalogue. In the meantime, I would state all the item properties in the Item Description area to cover my butt. 

Message 20 of 53
latest reply