Return - How long do I wait?

A buyer started a return on July 11th.  I approved it the same day, asking the buyer to ship the item back and then send my a picture of the receipt for return shipping so I can reimburse.  

So far, nothing.  No receipt, no messages, no item.

How long does the buyer have?  Do I just keep waiting?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I've heard that if the buyer doesn't indicate that they have mailed the item back after 5 or 6 (business?) days the seller can phone and have the return closed. I usually just wait as the return  will close on its own after about 30 business days if there has not been a tracking number uploaded.  

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Pj is correct.

Also it will say how long the buyer has to do things in the details of the Return case.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

This morning I contacted eBay regarding this return and was told to send a shipping label.

I honestly must have told the CS rep 15 times that I am not able to do this because I am in Canada and the buyer is in the US.  She told me to call USPS and find out how much a label would cost and then send the customer the funds.  I explained that I have no idea how the customer is going to send the item back, what dimensions etc.  CS continued to say, "Send a return label".  Otherwise, if I don't, the buyer gets to keep the item and eBay will refund the money to her as well!  Even though they know I cannot send a label.

I asked CS how do they know that the buyer isn't pulling a scam to keep the item and the money? Maybe she knows that this is how the process works?

So, I came up with my own solution, to send the buyer the amount I paid for shipping, with a message through eBay with the transaction ID.  And guess what?  CS stated this would be acceptable.  The buyer has 10 days to return the item, if she does not, my funds will be released to me and the return will be closed.  What I find ridiculous is that CS never suggested this to me, the only options they offered were to "send a return label" or "call USPS and buy a label through them to send to her".  So two options which are basically the same, and I cannot complete either of them.  So helpful!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@avenueshopswapsell wrote:

This morning I contacted eBay regarding this return and was told to send a shipping label.

I honestly must have told the CS rep 15 times that I am not able to do this because I am in Canada and the buyer is in the US.  She told me to call USPS and find out how much a label would cost and then send the customer the funds.  I explained that I have no idea how the customer is going to send the item back, what dimensions etc.  CS continued to say, "Send a return label".  Otherwise, if I don't, the buyer gets to keep the item and eBay will refund the money to her as well!  Even though they know I cannot send a label.

I asked CS how do they know that the buyer isn't pulling a scam to keep the item and the money? Maybe she knows that this is how the process works?

So, I came up with my own solution, to send the buyer the amount I paid for shipping, with a message through eBay with the transaction ID.  And guess what?  CS stated this would be acceptable.  The buyer has 10 days to return the item, if she does not, my funds will be released to me and the return will be closed.  What I find ridiculous is that CS never suggested this to me, the only options they offered were to "send a return label" or "call USPS and buy a label through them to send to her".  So two options which are basically the same, and I cannot complete either of them.  So helpful!

Why are you doing this?

Many buyers start the process, find out the effort and expense, then abandon the return. This is eBay's way of protecting the seller.

I just ignore these until they drop off.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I did it because the CS rep stated that if I didn't the buyer would keep the item and also be refunded the full amount.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The process to follow with SNAD returns is different than with Returns for Reasons of Remorse. The latter a seller can afford to ignore until they time-out.

Tell me how eBay now plans to compel the buyer to return your item. The buyer may well make take your money for a shipping label and instead consider it a partial refund, and keep it anyway.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

That would be fine with me, I just don't want to lose both the item and the money.

I have no idea how eBay can compel the buyer to return the item, but I guess that I have done all that I could.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@avenueshopswapsell wrote:

I did it because the CS rep stated that if I didn't the buyer would keep the item and also be refunded the full amount.

Peggy did not know what she was saying.

You said nothing about a SNAD.

Do not do anything unless you have to. In this case, it appears the buyer abandoned the return, essentially, a completed sale.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

The only time a seller is compelled to fund return postage is when the Return is SNAD. The whole 'you must send a return label' argument is moot otherwise.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

So this took forever, but finally eBay has closed the case in my favour.  I sent the buyer the original shipping cost ($13USD) and a message stating to send the item back.  The buyer replied "Ok, no problem".  I called eBay and let them know what I did and the transaction number of the money transfer through Paypal.  Buyer had 5 days to upload tracking of the return.

Today, 5 days later, I called eBay and the case was closed in my favour and the defect removed.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

What about your money? The refund for postage to be used to send back an item that was never returned.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

The reason the Shipping Label works in the USA is that if the buyer does not use the label, the cost of the label is returned to the seller.

When you sent the buyer $13, in effect you gave her a partial discount.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Exactly. 

So this buyer kept the partial refund and the item. Which is wrong.

At least the seller was able to get the defect removed.

That refund, however, should come from ebay as the corporation and not the seller since it's ebay's system that is flawed and allowed the buyer to get both their money back (or at least a portion of it) and keep the item. 

It's unjust. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

It basically works out even for the seller though.  If the item had been sent back the seller would still be out the return shipping cost.  They would have the item back but would have to refund the purchase in full.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

That's true, however, they would have the item back to resell at a profit.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

That's true, however, they would have the item back to resell at a profit.

That's assuming that they could sell it for more than the original sale in order to cover the original and return shipping.  Sometimes it is best just to take the sure thing. There isn't always a perfect solution.   In the end, I'm more likely to lose some money with a return than end up with a profit.....especially if the item is considered to be nad

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I suppose one could consider it the cost of a lesson learned. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Absolutely a lesson learned.  I should have just let it be and allow time to run out on the return instead of calling eBay prematurely.

As for the $13, the item sold for over $100 and the buyer claimed it was broken, so who knows if could have resold it or what I would have received back in the end.  

I am happy with the results.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Can you claim damage in transit, like was it wrecked by careless postal handling? Or is that an unlikely scenario.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply