SALES are Down. Cause: Recession? Suggestions welcome.

Sales have been down for 6 months. The number of Buyers and Dollar average has been decreasing. Defect count has gone UP due to fewer Buyers over the months. Hmmm. Better pictures, accurate description, currency, percentage discount, combined ship discount. Can not Control Sales must Manage Expenses. Suggestions Welcome....

Message 1 of 238
latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

@73rhc wrote:

Perhaps a reality check, might be in order.

I don't know how my simple comment necessitates a reality check on my part.  The reality is that you, without question, make antagonistic remarks in order to goad people ... e.g. after a recent remark, you stated "let the games begin".  I've dealt with people like you all my life and I know from where this attitude stems. 

Message 181 of 238
latest reply

I see that you can make remarks. But then get insulted, if someone replies in a similar fashion. 

Please do not pretend to know me. You have no idea who I am. I haven't goaded anyone. The remark was made because an imminent reply was expected. 

Message 182 of 238
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:

I see that you can make remarks. But then get insulted, if someone replies in a similar fashion. 

Please do not pretend to know me. You have no idea who I am. I haven't goaded anyone. The remark was made because an imminent reply was expected. 

I might have been insulted or offended if the remark had been made by someone whom I respected.  In this case -- like water off a duck's back.

My simple comment was not offensive; simply that perhaps a reminder about etiquette was required.  I do not habitually make offensive comments like some on this board nor do I intentionally do all I can to ensure that a heated or controversial thread is carried on as long as possible.

Message 183 of 238
latest reply

Hello all,

I would like to remind everyone to keep the personal comments to an absolute minimum.  This thread is getting off-topic, and things are starting to get hostile.

Thanks,

Liz

Message 184 of 238
latest reply

@imaschnore wrote:

Sales have been down for 6 months. The number of Buyers and Dollar average has been decreasing.

I wanted to return to your original comments on this post, as I think they represent the experience of many of us lately.  

Another possible contributing factor occurred to me besides those I've already mentioned (in Post #4 and otherwise).  This subject happened to come up in another thread in a different context, but I think it may be pertinent to this issue.  

If you've been here for a few years, you'll remember when eBay used to display links for items purchased by buyers on their sellers' FB pages.  

I always felt that having the ability to see what buyers had purchased in the past was not only of use to sellers, but especially good for eBay, in that it helped to cross-promote listings and sellers.  

I know this for a fact as a buyer; years ago on eBay I'd see an item sold, look at the buyer's FB list and start checking out other items that buyer had purchased.  This often led me to listings that were of real interest to me because they were frequently in the same category as my interests.  In fact, I found wonderful items to buy and interesting sellers that I'm sure I would otherwise never have seen.  I did a lot of my buying this way.  

In effect, that system acted as a sort of limitless, inter-connected web.  If, as a buyer, I used that facility a lot, I can only imagine that many other buyers did too, and that I also benefited from it as a seller.  

I don't recall precisely when that feature was removed (2013??), but it strikes me that without this internal buyer "cross-pollination" (as I used to call it), millions of buyers may not be browsing around freely as much as they used to.  They now have to do specific searches, find what they want, and buy or not buy.  There is little enticement to simply linger and check what others have purchased.  I think it's human nature to enjoy a treasure hunt!   

Could it be that this has had a dampening effect on eBay as a whole, i.e. lowering the number of visitors to listings and adding to other factors (economic or internal eBay issues) that have slowed sales down for many?

Presumably the Collections feature was intended to do the same thing, to compensate for loss of "natural" browsing and cross-promotion, but I don't think that's been a tremendous success.  Sellers likely soon realized that by adding colour photos of listings to their Collections, they might be simply helping out their competition, or (if they were buyers), ensuring someone else got there first to buy the item.  This isn't the same as looking at an almost limitless variety of sold items and discovering new ones that can be purchased from the same sellers.  

Now, apparently (according to David Wenig's announcements), eBay is going to focus on promotion through social media.  The irony is, I think they had a terrific natural social medium here, and may have blown it.  (I do understand eBay's reasons for removing buyer details, but IMO the cure was worse than the disease in the long run).  

As I've pointed out in other threads, eBay did report a very modest increase in sales this year, but never has broken that figure down by category/seller type, which is the only thing that might shed some light on the whole question.  I doubt they ever will.  

At any rate, perhaps this will give some sellers a measure of solace and comfort if they're wondering what has gone wrong when, as you say, they've done everything eBay has told them to do.  

Message 185 of 238
latest reply

It's as if my buyers aren't seeing them anymore.

You hit it right on the nose, however I disagree what the cause is. While so many of us are searching for problems caused by ebay we don't look around the entire online marketplace for the real issue. Problems like the Shopping Cart disconect and Search placements are more related to the use of Smartphones, and started over two years ago. The problem in Canada worsened 6 months ago because full service data plans are given away for less than $100 a month now, including a new phone. More and more consumers have stopped using large screen PC's and stick to their phones for searching for product and hanging out in their social forums. Online consumers who use smartphones as a connection to social media no longer enjoy "hanging out on ebay". I can't see any way to change that. However, they do "hang out" online in their respective "marketplace".

Build your brand. Using your product category as an example. You enjoy an enviable position, you have an online "brand" that can be built.... The Fashion Archaeoligist. Your category has 10 to 20 times more online buyers than I have access to, not ebay buyers mind you, clothing sewers are your customers. For me, I sell to retired old men who play with toys at home. I build my brand on the Slot Car Forums and send my consumers to the store when they are ready to buy. I use "links into ebay" rather than "links out of ebay".... they come here last, at the time of purchase. I was more upset when ebay took away the "link into ebay" fee discounts. Ebay is not a marketplace, just a peice of software with which to complete a transaction. In your case I tried searching for you personally and found very little. What I couldn't find were your customers taking about you. I can't imagine that none of your customers are showing off their latest dresses from Rose Dee the Fashion Archaeoligist, and talking about them. "Where did you get that pattern?" "...ebay, here's the link...". It looks like you are just watching the ship sail off into the sunset.

I can't take any credit for the results because I had help in the early years from a search optimization profesional. He was so convinced that searching takes place in Google first, ebay second. I'm so glad I listened to him. When Google and ebay had their falling out, whatever, I still enjoy top placements for up to two pages some days. If I type my name into Google, Paul Gage, it autopopulates tires. I own the results! Never mind searching any of my part numbers alone.

I'm not trying to show off or put you in your place, it frustrates me to no end when I see an online opportunity that could explode like an atomic bomb instead of fizzling like a wet fuse. You are on my Grandaughter's business target list. She already decided she is going into the catalog mail order business when she's finished business school. She spends hours every day looking for categories in ebay to target. How often I hear "Gramps, take look at this seller..." or "Gramps, you need to change this...or that... really, it will make a difference".

Sales volume rises and falls, however there are more and more consumers every day as the global population rises. I always ask myself "is this a problem, or an opportunity?" and "what can I do to exploit it?"

I'm pretty sure you have heard this all before. I wish you would start to listen instead of looking for the pea under the mattress, there is wasted elegance in your writings. Of course I'm just the new guy around this community, what do I know?

Message 186 of 238
latest reply

I appreciate your interest in my business, I honestly do, but I think most of your suggestions are more appropriate to someone just starting out.  I have been doing much of what you've outlined for quite a while now, having worked in the product development and marketing field for several years in the past.  

I'd like to reply to a few of your comments. 

"It's as if my buyers aren't seeing them anymore."  I think I should have been more specific with this comment and said: "It's as if my eBay buyers aren't seeing them anymore".  I seem to have little trouble on other sites.  The issues I've set out in a number of posts on the subject are largely unique to eBay.  I don't encounter most of them elsewhere.  

"While so many of us are searching for problems caused by ebay we don't look around the entire online marketplace for the real issue. Problems like the Shopping Cart disconect and Search placements are more related to the use of Smartphones, and started over two years ago." 

You are certainly correct about marketplace issues being relevant, but as I said, the worst (and most frequent) issues I have are on this particular site.  Sometimes I try to delineate these in order to work out solutions, sometimes simply to point out eBay flaws for others to consider or be aware of.  

The .com shopping cart "disconnect" does affect both smartphones and PCs alike.  My buyers are largely PC users.  I know this because I communicate with many of them after a sale and inquire about how they found me, how they processed the sale, etc.  They are also readers (you have to be an attentive reader to sew well), so they do pay attention to detailed descriptions.  Although eBay now claims that something like 65% of transactions are "touched" by mobile -- note they didn't say "conducted by mobile" -- I'm fairly sure that statistic doesn't apply to my customers.  

Incidentally, I discovered by doing some comparison (through Google's testing tool) that my home page on eBay has several issues with respect to mobile viewing.  This isn't the case with my other sites.  I brought this up with Raphael one week, and while he did say the Google test was reliable, he really didn't provide a satisfactory answer with respect to the actual results.  My fix for this will probably be switching to the new store format and hoping for better results, but I will lose many of the direct promotional and marketing features currently available in my "old format" store.  

"Build your brand. Using your product category as an example."  Actually, I'm all over the place on the internet (except Facebook, which I'm very reluctant to use).  My buyers "hang out" on different sites than most youngsters and 20-somethings do, and find me via links to my eBay and my other sites on just about every facility I use.  I'm not willing to list all my marketing strategies here (I've worked hard to build them), but this does include sites that even provide a direct link to purchase (both on eBay and my other sites) a particular item I've highlighted.  

I used to be able to monitor this incoming activity on eBay (including people searching specifically by my brand name, a nice plus).  Omniture was useful in this regard, but alas, it's now gone.  I'm only hoping it will be replaced by something similar and accurate, but more accessible. Again, one other site I sell from does this job (tracking statistics) beautifully. 

"In your case I tried searching for you personally and found very little. What I couldn't find were your customers taking about you. It looks like you are just watching the ship sail off into the sunset. [...]  If I type my name into Google, Paul Gage, it autopopulates tires. I own the results! Never mind searching any of my part numbers alone."

I wonder what search you were using, because my brand name occupies 5 out of 9 of the results on the first page on Google.  I don't use my personal name or my eBay ID, mainly for security reasons.  

However something may have changed on Google over the past few months, because on doing a search on "antique sewing patterns" today, I see the results are strangely unfamiliar.  This search used to consistently bring up my eBay store name, many individual eBay items, and my other sites on page 1, but doesn't anymore.  Could this be part of the reason for sluggish sales?  Lack of eBay exposure on Google.  I can't do much about what eBay has worked out with Google, but I can change things on other sites.  Maybe somebody like 'poco' 

"You are on my Grandaughter's business target list. She already decided she is going into the catalog mail order business when she's finished business school. She spends hours every day looking for categories in ebay to target." 

I'm not sure what you mean by "target", but I'd prefer not to have unsolicited marketing emails.  She may be graduating from business school, but I've worked in marketing and public relations in the real world and I do everything reasonably possible within the time limitations I have, to keep up with trends.   

"Sales volume rises and falls, however there are more and more consumers every day as the global population rises." 

Yes, this is quite true, although if you're selling something that appeals to a particular subset of potential buyers, you have to understand what those buyers are looking for, what prices they're willing to pay, and study your competition keenly in order to be able to profit from that market.  I have done, and continue to do, these things.

"I'm pretty sure you have heard this all before."  Yes, I have, not all of it, but most. 

"I wish you would start to listen instead of looking for the pea under the mattress, there is wasted elegance in your writings." 

I appreciate the compliment, but not the admonishment, because it really isn't the case.  I'm not looking for the pea under the mattress, more like the elephant in the room.  

Believe me, compared to one other site that I use in particular, eBay has major issues in functionality, ease of use and buyer/seller friendliness, not to mention over-policing and a web of rules almost no one can fully understand.  I continue to sell here now as a "sideline", but it isn't as easy as elsewhere.  I stay for the one thing eBay does still outdo others on, and that is visibility.  Whether that visibility will continue to make up for the other flaws in my particular case is a matter of time and of changes eBay itself could make. 

I should add, as a final note, that your comment:  "it frustrates me to no end when I see an online opportunity that could explode like an atomic bomb instead of fizzling like a wet fuse" almost precisely expresses what I currently feel about eBay.  If the S.E.C. document we read recently is any indication, eBay may not want to focus most of its resources on online selling anymore; they're making a lot more money in other endeavours.  

Anyway, cheers, this was my honest response to no doubt honestly meant comments. 

Message 187 of 238
latest reply

"

they're making a lot more money in other endeavours.  

"

Ebay has nothing left but their online market places now.  Everything else sold or abandoned.  Granted paypal was the only thing in addition to marketplaces that had a material affect on their operating results

paypal spun off

enterprise sold

ebay now (delivery) abadoned

craigslist stake gone in deal to settle lawsuit

skype long gone

All losers for them except paypal

Message 188 of 238
latest reply

Your comments have caused me to do a little bit of testing on Google, which has brought up some interesting points: 

1)  Try a search by "Antique Sewing Patterns".  There is -- apparently -- no such thing on Google.  There certainly used to be, and links to my stores were up there on Page 1 because I had set up keywords everywhere (and have used those keywords everywhere on eBay).  What I now see is nothing but "Vintage" patterns, and, of course, I'm gone from page 1.  I didn't search beyond page 2, because who ever does?  

Is this the consequence in practice of eBay's tiff with Google?  I wonder, but can't verify it without Omniture.  

One thing I do know is that, although the last time I was able to check on Omniture, Google searches represented about 45% of the visitors to my eBay store, that number had diminished from the usual in 2014 and earlier. 

2)  Almost all the generic/keywod searches I did today in my area of business bring up a whole host of blogs, but very few websites.  This really is different from a year ago.  Has Google given up on "traditional" websites, or (more likely) have traditional websites not been able to comply with Google's new search parameters, thus making them virtually invisible?  

You may have noticed the warnings by Google a few months ago that they were changing their search requirements.  I checked my sites against their testing tool, and they were fine, even top notch, but not the eBay store (as I mentioned above).  Perhaps Google added another level of changes in search modality that were not publicized.  

I just don't know, but this is all very intriguing.  Yet another wrinkle that might explain the last few months' slowdown?

Message 189 of 238
latest reply

I just searched Google with your keywords "Antique Sewing Patterns" and ebay search was 10th on the results lists and when clicked, your ebay items were 1,2, then 5,6 in the ebay search list. ebay seller from France historyque dominated the overall results with many entries.

Message 190 of 238
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Ebay has nothing left but their online market places now.  Everything else sold or abandoned.  Granted paypal was the only thing in addition to marketplaces that had a material affect on their operating results. [...] All losers for them except paypal

True, their Payments sector represented substantially higher net revenue than eBay's marketplaces in 2014.  However, their financial statements indicate that marketing services (whatever that means exactly -- probably paid advertising) represented a whopping 26% of net revenue in 2014.  If anything, I'd say that will grow in 2015. 

In 2014, Paypal and marketing services combined represented a reported 139% more than marketplace net revenue (or about 48% of total net revenue from those 3 sources). 

So they spun off Paypal, which was clearly a revenue-generator, but now have to offset some very considerable liabilities (such as the huge deferred tax liability on offshore funds) with what they have left, with a smaller revenue-generating base.  No wonder eBay is pushing the advertising (and floating the seller-paid feature listings idea again).  

Interestingly, and as one would expect, their computer equipment accounts for nearly 74% of their combined assets.  This begs the question of what they'd sell off if they needed to, now that Paypal is gone.  They have over 3 billion dollars in deferred taxes that will have to be paid at some point if offshore cash is required.  

Message 191 of 238
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I just searched Google with your keywords "Antique Sewing Patterns" and ebay search was 10th on the results lists and when clicked, your ebay items were 1,2, then 5,6 in the ebay search list. ebay seller from France historyque dominated the overall results with many entries.

Hmm, this is very odd.  

I did the same search and the result you mention (10th item in the list) actually is the eBay category, not any eBay store names (which it used to pull up).  The category name "Antiques - Sewing (pre-1930) Patterns" is only one of the categories in which I list.  

I'm very familiar with my friendly competitor in France.  I happen to know she's retiring and selling off her inventory, which has dominated the results in that category for quite some time (i.e. not a new phenomenon). 

This is not at all the kind of results I got from the same Google search in early 2014 and for a long time prior.  What's happened?

BTW, you may have noticed that "Vintage Sewing Patterns" appears much further up the list, giving an eBay search results list.  This was never the case previously.  

Message 192 of 238
latest reply

Yes they run ads on their marketplaces (the only revenue they have from kijiji/classifieds).  Its a small minority of transaction revenue, and only exists if they bring people to their marketplaces.   The notion "eBay may not want to focus most of its resources on online selling anymore; they're making a lot more money in other endeavours.  " is bizarre.  That is their entire focus now

Message 193 of 238
latest reply

Without a doubt, Vintage sewing patterns swamps the search results in your Crafts category. My point about Titles is when the results come up and the first word seen in all results is vintage sewing pattern, the one listing that starts with Edwardian dress brocade... stands the better chance of being clicked on. I just searched in all categories... vintage sewing pattern Edwardian Ladies' Skirt you are number 2. When I search in all cats. antique sewing pattern Edwardian Ladies' Skirt you're number 1, 3, 5, 6, and on. I see that you are the Edwadian Patterns top seller. The keyword Vintage placed in your titles will bring you up more often when the Crafts/Sewing/Paterrns category is searched. Using Antique as well directs the search engine to the Antique category. Search engine will throw something up from each category it finds results in.

As you say your other sales venues work fine and generate sales, I would find it hard not to come to the conclusion something is screwed up for you on ebay. But I would still want to move Edwardian to the front of the titles. And generate more chatter on the forums outside ebay.

I refuse to let myself think that ebay might be out to get you! The way things are transpiring in the online world, ebay employees are more frustrated than ever trying to tame the beast. No time to cope with us small guys.

BTW, my grandaughter isn't looking to serve ebay sellers, she's looking for categories and online activities to compete in. She has in her plans the "Kill List".... ebay sellers she wants to put out of business. Not to worry, she thinks slot cars and sewing patterns have no margins left. We're safe! She is so cute, maybe a little naive, but I think a little naivitee is good if you're opening a mail order business.

Somewhere the answer is out there....

Message 194 of 238
latest reply

I have mentioned this before but it can't hurt to bring it up again. Cassini search does tend to show results of items that have already had a sale so when I sell one item, I often sell another of the same item shortly after that or sell something similar...likely because search has brought people to my listings due to the recent sale.

Apparently, if a listing has a lot of views and no sales, that can downgrade it in search.  I do think that it is important to update and 'tweek' listings that haven't had a sale in a while and relist them using sell similar.  I might tweek mine with with some new pictures, new titles, new prices, change the description  or a combination of  any of those things. When I look at your listings in the 'newly listed' order, you seem to prefer to use GTC indefinitely and I do think that could be a factor with your sales.

When I search using newly listed, the starting date doesn't show a year but if I scroll down and count the years, it looks as if you have about 70 listings that have been running since 2012, 2103 and 2014. Some of those are multi item listings and have had some sales but in some cases the last sale was over a year ago. Many of the listings are one of a kind.  There is a possibility that some of those long running listings are not been shown at all or are very low on search and would benefit by being ended and changed around.  I believe that you mentioned that you tried this before but since the search parameters do seem to change, it's possible that you would notice a difference if you tried doing that now.

I've heard that ebay suggests that this be done after about 18 months but I suspect that search downgrades unsold listings long before that.

Message 195 of 238
latest reply

I think there's more to the comparison of sales in the early 2000s to now. Things have changed drastically as to what is this site is being used for. What floods eBay to give them that overflow of listings? It's the larger companies, franchises and Chinese reproduction listings. When a buyer comes to this site looking for that one elusive collectible or for that last hard to find stamp, coin or pottery to complete their collections, they are bombarded by multiple commercial ads by large companies selling their "stuff". Ebay started out as a site for sellers to list their unique or flea market item that you don't find everyday on the shelves of a physical store. The buyers came looking for these items here because they couldn't find them in an everyday store. 

Now the everyday store is here, in eBay, advertising, listing 1,000s of items, filling up the search pages sometimes up to page 50 + making it difficult for the buyer to find the item they are looking for. It's hard for them to see past all the clutter, they get fed up going to page after page and still not finding the smaller seller who holds the item they want. Let's face it, most collectors are of an older generation and although computer smart, they don't all possess the knowledge of search item keywords, etc. that the younger non-collectors do. Simple sometimes is better.

And not all have hours to sit in front of the computer looking for that elusive collectible either. And if the seller is not as computer smart as they need to be to list their item perfectly for searches, then traffic to their listings are hindered. We all do our best to make our listings clear and precise to fit eBay's templates, but if something is missed while creating the listing, our listing is also missed in searches and not visible to the buyer we hope to frequent our stores. Like a fire, you need to get past all the smoke to see the flames to put it out...

Janet and Paul
Message 196 of 238
latest reply

@paulgg132 wrote:

"Without a doubt, Vintage sewing patterns swamps the search results in your Crafts category." 

The point I was trying to make is that there is a big difference in effect for my business between "vintage" and "antique".  My buyers have rarely, if ever searched by using "vintage" (per Omniture).  Why a search for "antique patterns" would turn up mostly "vintage" items on Google is beyond me.  It's an entirely different category from my products. 

As 'poco' pointed out, I'm 10th on that list, in a sort of obscure, indirect way.  To be honest, even I actually didn't notice that link the first time as it looked somewhat unrelated to my search terms.  It's ridiculous.  If this is relevancy, no wonder people are having trouble finding what they want on eBay via Google.  Some time ago, when I did a very comprehensive series of tests on Google, the term "antique pattern" would pull up not only a link to my eBay store, but my other related links.  

But I would still want to move Edwardian to the front of the titles. And generate more chatter on the forums outside ebay.

I do both already, extensively.  The word "Edwardian" and other related catchwords are in almost every title on my own products, and in the descriptions and Item Specifics.  This is what I mean when I say that I look to other causes, behind the scenes, when I've done my best to stack the cards in my favour on eBay.  

"I refuse to let myself think that ebay might be out to get you! The way things are transpiring in the online world, ebay employees are more frustrated than ever trying to tame the beast. No time to cope with us small guys."

Oh, I have no illusions that eBay has any particular interest in me!  My point has been all along that I, and sellers like me have to face a lot of factors that affect us detrimentally on eBay (most of which were created by eBay) that largely don't exist on other venues.  

These problems really don't have anything to do with what the mainly helpless ordinary eBay employees do.  They are either decisions made directly by management/CEOs, the consequences of those decisions, or the consequences of no decision (as in the case of the "cart disconnect").  I don't ever expect them to intervene on my behalf; I expect them to simply make the site work reliably and effectively for all sellers, big and small.

"BTW, my grandaughter isn't looking to serve ebay sellers, she's looking for categories and online activities to compete in. She has in her plans the "Kill List".... ebay sellers she wants to put out of business. Not to worry, she thinks slot cars and sewing patterns have no margins left." 

Well, that's a relief (perhaps).  Unless she has couture dressmaking skills, drafting/drawing skills and speaks French, I may be safe.  But is that how kids nowadays look at things?  "Kill List"?  She might want to remember that competitors and competition can often be a very positive factor.  Every good competitor I have brings buyers to my "street", and teaches me something about how to be more effective and step up my game. 

"Somewhere the answer is out there...."

After having had this discussion, I don't know that's true unless one has insider eBay information.  In the meantime, I keep jumping those hurdles. 

Message 197 of 238
latest reply

Another thing that ebay has mentioned is that we should try and optimize our listings for mobile. Perhaps there are some categories whose buyers use mobile less than in other categories but I don't think that  is necessarily a given because more and more people use mobile all the time.  Plus, many of us have items that appeal to different groups of people so just because antique pattern buyers might be less inclined to use mobile, someone looking for a vintage tie may be more likely to use that method.

I'll post a link from google that tells you if a specific page is mobile friendly according to their standards - just enter the url of a listing. I haven't figured out a way to get it to show more than one mobile 'page' of a listing and since ebay pages are standardized to some extent I am guessing that all of our first pages will be mobile friendly.  If you scroll down to see the image it tell you how many pages are in that mobile listing which is someone we might all want to note. For example, I checked a few listings that showed a mobile user would have to go through 12 pages to see the whole listing. That might be a problem for some buyers.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url

Message 198 of 238
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'll post a link from google that tells you if a specific page is mobile friendly according to their standards - just enter the url of a listing. I haven't figured out a way to get it to show more than one mobile 'page' of a listing and since ebay pages are standardized to some extent I am guessing that all of our first pages will be mobile friendly.  If you scroll down to see the image it tell you how many pages are in that mobile listing which is someone we might all want to note. For example, I checked a few listings that showed a mobile user would have to go through 12 pages to see the whole listing. That might be a problem for some buyers.

Yes, I've used that tool quite a lot since it first came out.  One surprise was that my storefront, an eBay design with a bit of tweaking on my part, did very poorly, at least according to Google - "not mobile friendly".  Same thing with individual listings I tried.  Incidentally, this wasn't so on the other sites I use -- I got a full "mobile friendly" rating!  

So, what the heck?  Can the biggest online venue not cope with one of the key factors in today's buying?  They keep touting their move toward mobile-friendliness, but I suspect that may apply far more to those sellers who are able to directly access eBay's platform in order to create their own version of a storefront.  

I brought this up with Raphael some weeks ago, and his reply was something to the effect that buyers land first on a search page, not on a seller's storefront (I'll have to see if I can find his reply).  That wasn't an entirely helpful response, since I knew a big chunk of my buyers visited my storefront, whether first or not, and also because buyers will likely end up on a storefront at some point after clicking on an item in a search list.  So, that got me nowhere. 

I suppose I've more or less thrown up my hands on this subject, because I won't be able to radically change eBay's store design.  What I have done to better my chances for those buyers who might be using mobile was to fully utilize the Item Specifics, Condition box, and all 12 photos of the Gallery wherever possible.  I figure if buyers see that much, they'll have most of the pertinent information about the item. 

Message 199 of 238
latest reply

Yes, I've used that tool quite a lot since it first came out.  One surprise was that my storefront, an eBay design with a bit of tweaking on my part, did very poorly, at least according to Google - "not mobile friendly".  Same thing with individual listings I tried.

Your individual listings should have been fine. Any of them that I  checked were mobile friendly on the first page but because they are fairly long, they do require a user to scroll through 9 - 12 'pages' of info.   I've been meaning to check on my phone and ipad to see how the Auctiva scrolling gallery shows up but I haven't done that yet.

According to Griff from the .com site, they are not planning on making the stores mobile friendly for the same/similar reasons that Raphael mentioned.

Message 200 of 238
latest reply