SALES are Down. Cause: Recession? Suggestions welcome.

Sales have been down for 6 months. The number of Buyers and Dollar average has been decreasing. Defect count has gone UP due to fewer Buyers over the months. Hmmm. Better pictures, accurate description, currency, percentage discount, combined ship discount. Can not Control Sales must Manage Expenses. Suggestions Welcome....

Message 1 of 238
latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

Why is that?

Message 221 of 238
latest reply

Auctiva Scrolling Gallery use Adobe Flash technology. Apple products never supported flash because Flash is a huge resource drain on a battery operated device.  So the Auctiva gallery tests if flash is available and if not says to download and install flash. Which you can't do on an Apple product.

Many smartphones and mobile devices followed Apple's lead and do not support Adobe Flash. Some do.

Adobe Flash is not a good product and many technology firms no longer support it and even want it gone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/adobe-flash-is-dying-a-death-by-1000-cuts-and-thats-a-good-thing-2015...

Message 222 of 238
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Yes, I've used that tool quite a lot since it first came out.  One surprise was that my storefront, an eBay design with a bit of tweaking on my part, did very poorly, at least according to Google - "not mobile friendly".  Same thing with individual listings I tried.

Your individual listings should have been fine. Any of them that I  checked were mobile friendly on the first page but because they are fairly long, they do require a user to scroll through 9 - 12 'pages' of info.   I've been meaning to check on my phone and ipad to see how the Auctiva scrolling gallery shows up but I haven't done that yet.

According to Griff from the .com site, they are not planning on making the stores mobile friendly for the same/similar reasons that Raphael mentioned.

My post before was in reply to the question about the Auctiva Scrolling gallery. It does not appear on Apple products and many other mobile devices since Flash technology is not supported on many of these devices.

Message 223 of 238
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Ina's blog nor the anonymous sellers conspiracy theories she quotes shouldn't be taken as factual

Aslo, the blog doesn't apply to gifts because she was informed and aware that her limits had been lowered.

According to gifts:  There is actually no mystery at all why sales dropped.    

Message 224 of 238
latest reply

Ina has spend years taking things any random user posts on seller central or .com ps board and spins them into articles without regard to facts or logic. That there are "secret limits" has never been in doubt, its well known ebay put a sales limit on everyone and started displaying it to accounts created after a certain date. Older accounts like mine that have never hit the "limit" don't have it displayed so have no idea what it is. So its "secret". Its logical for them to have such limits to thwart scammers

On the other hand, the conspiracy theorist "rolling blackouts", "throttling" etc have never offered any proof, nor any logic why it would make any sense. With all the people that have claimed that, no one has anyone been able to demonstrate their listings have been "hidden because they sold too much", ever. Nor offer any explanation why it would make sense for ebay, who's goal is to have as much sold here as they can get, to do that

Most of the people who are onboard with the "out to get the small sellers" conspiracies aren't even selling things that would ever be offered by the high volume retail sellers anyway
Message 225 of 238
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Ina's blog nor the anonymous sellers conspiracy theories she quotes shouldn't be taken as factual

Aslo, the blog doesn't apply to gifts because she was informed and aware that her limits had been lowered.

Yes she knew that her limits were lowered but I believe she is saying that when when her limits went back up, she wasn't able get back the same volume of sales that she had previously.

Message 226 of 238
latest reply

I bet that 95%+ of her ebay information comes from the .com discussion boards. 

Message 227 of 238
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Yes she knew that her limits were lowered but I believe she is saying that when when her limits went back up, she wasn't able get back the same volume of sales that she had previously.

Yes, but there are many possible explanation for not bouncing back other than eBay manipulations.  

Gifts is completely unconcerned about the glitch with her search so I'll go with that as well.

The market could have changed while she was "down".  Since she's selling discontinued pieces they may not be able to compete with the new pieces, for example, but that's just one possibility.

Message 228 of 238
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Yes, but there are many possible explanation for not bouncing back other than eBay manipulations.  

You have been just making assuptions without  facts that back it up.

Gifts is completely unconcerned about the glitch with her search so I'll go with that as well.

No, am not unconcerned about this, it is very much a recognized problem and since eBay will not fix it, it is a manipulation by them.

The market could have changed while she was "down".  Since she's selling discontinued pieces they may not be able to compete with the new pieces, for example, but that's just one possibility.

In your previous assumption you stated that because my items are new, they are available in a never ending supply 

and that is why they are not selling.  Now its the other way around.

Message 229 of 238
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:
Ina has spend years taking things any random user posts on seller central or .com ps board and spins them into articles without regard to facts or logic. That there are "secret limits" has never been in doubt, its well known ebay put a sales limit on everyone and started displaying it to accounts created after a certain date. Older accounts like mine that have never hit the "limit" don't have it displayed so have no idea what it is. So its "secret". Its logical for them to have such limits to thwart scammers

On the other hand, the conspiracy theorist "rolling blackouts", "throttling" etc have never offered any proof, nor any logic why it would make any sense. With all the people that have claimed that, no one has anyone been able to demonstrate their listings have been "hidden because they sold too much", ever. Nor offer any explanation why it would make sense for ebay, who's goal is to have as much sold here as they can get, to do that

Most of the people who are onboard with the "out to get the small sellers" conspiracies aren't even selling things that would ever be offered by the high volume retail sellers anyway

You are right, you will never find the high end brands that I sell in any Wallmart, Giant Tiger or whatever other 3rd world product selling retail store.  Swarovski, Minton, Christian Dior and Burberry's is reserved for the high end stores in big cities only.

Message 230 of 238
latest reply

sylviebee wrote:

"Gifts is completely unconcerned about the glitch with her search so I'll go with that as well."

gifts_of_elegance wrote:

"No, am not unconcerned about this, it is very much a recognized problem and since eBay will not fix it, it is a manipulation by them."

Perhaps I am wrong but I think that we may be talking about two different things here. It sounds as if you are referring to search in general and how ebay will give some sellers better search placement.  That isn't the search problem that sylviebee is referring to. The problem was mentioned the other night but you may not have noticed.  The problem seems to be in search on .ca for your items in specific categories.

For example

If I view your listings on .ca and search for 'bracelet' there are 37 results. The same search on .com shows 77 results.

A search for earrings on . ca - 131 results; on .com - 296 results

In a general search of bracelets in your listings, none of the bracelets in collectibles appear so I think that the problem is that they changed some categories on .com but they didn't carry those over to .ca.  I don't think there is any manipulation involved but they have goofed up somewhere.  You might want to write Raphael about it so that he can have someone look into it.

There may be problems in other categories but those are the two that I have noticed.

Message 231 of 238
latest reply

Gifts, as you add more information it becomes easier to understand your situation and so of course FB changes as new facts come to light.

For example:  I hadn't realized that the reason your sales plummeted initially was because eBay lowered your limits.

There is no mystery there other than the question of why the limits were lowered.  

Otherwise, please read PJ's post above carefully as there may some clues there.  We've pointed that glitch out several times and it seems odd and the fix could be simple and under your control.

Message 232 of 238
latest reply

you said :

Have you looked at your listings on a mobile device? That can be a shock.

Apparently about half of buyers look at listings on their phones. Something to consider.

what is the difference looked at listings between a mobile device or not .......

Message 233 of 238
latest reply

When it comes to viewing listings on mobile devices....

the key words are... Keep It Simple.

My listings  can be viewed very quickly and very easily.... I have viewed them on a mobile device

I have recently moved to Auctiva.... by necessity... my Turboilister died.

On Auctiva I have learned to put my text to the left... and my photos to the right.... in those situations where I have many photos to put in a listing....

Potential  buyers read the listing like a newspaper.... in columns...

......something that should be viewed very easily on a mobile device.... and with no need to go forwards and backwards... left to right and back..... to read text in a listing...

Message 234 of 238
latest reply

Having my store categories in a left navigation column also helps a potential buyer to view my listings...

Less shifting from left to right and back..

With the  device I viewed...  I was also able to see the whole listing as if on a large computer screen... difficult to read ... but readable...sort of...

I could  focus in and then back off to see everything... This is where titles and paragraphs would help a potential buyer...  to aid in the... focus-in situation

Message 235 of 238
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I have never visited .com information boards, I base my conclusions on my own business performance and also by studying the market in the categories I sell.

Message 236 of 238
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I have never visited .com information boards, I base my conclusions on my own business performance and also by studying the market in the categories I sell.

I wasn't referring to you. That comment was in reference to Ina at eccommercebytes.  The information in her articles is often based on .com board discussions without any other apparent sources.
Message 237 of 238
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

I have recently moved to Auctiva.... by necessity... my Turboilister died.

On Auctiva I have learned to put my text to the left... and my photos to the right.... in those situations where I have many photos to put in a listing...

These are two very interesting comments, 'cumos'.  First, I have seen many sellers complaining about Turbolister's functionality.  I had been considering switching to Turbolister from Auctiva (which I've used for many years and like very much), simply to save a little money.  However, it seems this would not be a wise move, at least at this point. 

I've been using the left/right layout on many of my Auctiva listings for years strictly for design purposes, but had no idea this would facilitate viewing on mobile devices.  Thank you for mentioning this!  I'll use it more often now.  

I feel there is really little enough help from eBay in checking our listings for optimum mobile viewing that any such tips are extremely useful.  I wish eBay would come up with a "mobile checker" of some sort that would allow a seller to view a proposed listing as it would be seen on a typical mobile phone device, before it gets uploaded to the site. 

As for sales, all my recent changes (such as moving about a third of my listings to .com) have resulted in no positive results.  In fact, sales continue to decline overall.  Looking at the trend of the last few months, it's clear to me that there are extraneous influences at work.  

Whether these are largely a result of eBay itself (e.g. constant site issues, glitches, freezes, etc., combined with the apparent inability of eBay to leave the site alone for any reasonable length of time), or whether there are outside factors at work (general economic slowdown, changing buying habits, plethora of other shopping sites, etc.), would take a whole army of analysts to determine.  

One thing however is obvious to me: eBay's own "landing page" advertising is targeting buyers of new, mass-produced goods, particularly in tech and fashion. It stands to reason that the more big retailers there are of such products and the more eBay can attract such buyers, the fewer buyers there will be who come here looking for the unusual, unique, vintage or OOAK item.  And as those buyers drop away, so do a lot of sellers of such items, meaning less variety to attract sellers, and on and on.  

Having kept a close eye on U.S. competitors in a couple of categories in the vintage/OOAK realm over several years, I can say that many familiar and long-time, experienced sellers have gone.  Now, selling such items feels a bit like being relegated to the back corridor of a large mall, where everybody first heads for the major retail stores. 

This is not to exonerate eBay itself from the many ill-conceived, poorly thought out (and even outright stupid) policies and changes it has introduced since 2012, in a rush to satisfy its shareholders' need for quick profits. To compound the problem, in my view, through short sighted decision-making eBay practically threw away some important opportunities, which other online sites have taken up with alacrity. 

Message 238 of 238
latest reply