SALES are Down. Cause: Recession? Suggestions welcome.

Sales have been down for 6 months. The number of Buyers and Dollar average has been decreasing. Defect count has gone UP due to fewer Buyers over the months. Hmmm. Better pictures, accurate description, currency, percentage discount, combined ship discount. Can not Control Sales must Manage Expenses. Suggestions Welcome....

Message 1 of 238
latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Yes, it used to be that FVF were refunded but no more

That's not true.  If the seller fights the claim and ebay has to step in I don't know if fvf would be refunded but when the seller accepts the return and ebay doesn't need to make a decision, fvf will be refunded.

Buyer remorse?  I only had one asking if she could return and gave me positive feedback saying that the item was very nice but that did not stop eBay  from posting a "defect" on my account.  I spoke to them about it but they would not remove it.

The defect depends on what the buyer used as a reason for the return so your buyer must of used a nad reason or else gave you a 1 on shipping time or description DSR. Buyers do make mistakes and if you are persistent, have evidence to show customer service (such as messages from a buyer) and have policy at hand that you can show to ebay, some defects will be removed.

If a seller wants to know if they have a chance of getting a defect removed and how to do so, they might want to post on the .com sellers board as there are a number of sellers there who have had them removed and who can make suggestions on how to go about it.

The buyer has not filed a request or a dispute for return.  She wrote and asked me if I would mind if she returned the item.  I said no and and refunded her on receipt.  I had a "no explanation required refund policy".  eBay based the "defect" on the refund given and I did ask them to reverse.

Please don't make assumptions like "your buyer must of used a nad reason or else gave you a 1 on shipping time or description DSR. Buyers do make mistakes and"

"if you are persistent, have evidence to show customer service (such as messages from a buyer) and have policy at hand that you can show to ebay, some defects will be removed)"  - done that with no results as I have stated before)

Message 161 of 238
latest reply

I have 33 Signed Swarovski bracelets listed.

@sylviebee wrote:

Except that the actual Swarovski signed bracelets don't show up at all.

Only Dior.

Message 162 of 238
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

Except that the actual Swarovski signed bracelets don't show up at all.

Only Dior.

Yes, I know.  

There does seem to be something off with the search for your items.

It doesn't make any sense and if I noticed it with the bracelets there are probably other glitches as well.  Did you read PJ's post above?

One fix might be as simple as moving the jewelry out of decorative collectibles to jewelry.????

Message 163 of 238
latest reply

BTW:  I noticed it this morning and again when I posted.  It doesn't seem to be a passing thing.

Message 164 of 238
latest reply

I don't know why you didn't get back your fvf when you gave out the refund but you should have received one when you cancelled the item. I am sorry if I assumed anything but you should not have received a defect if the transaction was refunded and then cancelled with a buyer requested reason. If you weren't able to cancel because the process wasn't available then ebay should have been willing to credit you when you called in. 

I don't care whether or not you accept refunds but please do not tell people that ebay does not credit fvf's in a refund situation because that has never been their policy. Obviously something went wrong in your situation. If it happened quite a while ago there were a lot of glitches in the whole refund/cancellation system. Hopefully they are fixed now.

Message 165 of 238
latest reply

Good Evening,

I would like to Thank Everybody for their input, it helped me review  my business plan.

Good luck to everyone and much success.

Message 166 of 238
latest reply

Hmmm...not sure if she did read those posts. That's a very bizarre glitch, I hope that she gets it figured out. It could explain in part why sales are down.

Message 167 of 238
latest reply

It is bizarre.   Gifts may be right that her items may not be showing up in the search the way they used to.  Today i can't even select for "closest to me."

I think that her issues and rose's issues are at opposite ends of the board  and when they align with each other that gets lost.

Message 168 of 238
latest reply

'pj', I still buy fairly often on eBay (under another ID), so I've had a buyer's perspective on the search issue as well.  

On a number of occasions over the past few months, I've tried to locate an item that I had purchased last year because I needed another one.  In one example, I actually knew the seller was still around because he was on my saved (favourites) list.  However, I did the initial search by keywords -- and here's thing -- I used the same keywords I had used the year before, yet his items didn't appear in the list!  I knew there were there, so I persisted. 

I really had to use some workarounds and filtering to finally get a search results list that included his items.  I kept thinking that if I was having this much trouble, as an experienced user, how would a newcomer find exactly what they were after.  Or worse, how many items that actually matched their criteria would not be displayed?  As I say, this odd result has happened on numerous occasions for me. 

As a fairly frequent buyer on eBay, I have seen distinct changes in the way searches display items, particularly over the past few months, but what exactly is going on in the background is probably impossible to know unless eBay gives us more information (which they likely won't).  

So I doubt this is a temporary glitch, but some kind of shift in the search paradigm.  

At any rate, it's something that will affect both buyers and sellers.  As a couple of posters have pointed out (and as I've experienced myself), Amazon does do a much better job of putting relevant items together with buyers quickly and easily. 

Message 169 of 238
latest reply

rose, the reason behind this glitch for gift's is likely that the market is so swamped with Swarovski.

That won't be a problem for most items and certainly not for yours.

You are at the opposite end of the spectrum.  Anyone who wants to buy your items will find them.

Message 170 of 238
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

rose, the reason behind this glitch for gift's is likely that the market is so swamped with Swarovski.

That won't be a problem for most items and certainly not for yours.

You are at the opposite end of the spectrum.  Anyone who wants to buy your items will find them.

I was commenting on my difficulty in finding relevant items as a buyer.  This has little impact on me personally as a seller. 

Message 171 of 238
latest reply

Message 172 of 238
latest reply

I still remember my dad purchasing that book (French edition, same yellow cover) in the mid 50's and making sure I read it a few times.

Ah, the "good old days".

Message 173 of 238
latest reply

I thought people here were colleagues of a sort, perhaps I was wrong to believe so.  I must say the insults, sarcasm, patronizing, snide and snarky remarks here haven't originated with me.  

Winning friends and influencing people isn't done very effectively by such means, which have sadly become a habit with some of the more frequent posters on these boards.  There is often a real undercurrent of sarcasm and denigration from certain corners that must look very ugly and unpleasant from the outside.  I always wonder how many newcomers that sort of negative, sniping attitude must scare off from participating.  Frankly, if I were new, I'd be intimidated too.  

I hardly know how to respond to some of the unnecessarily mean-spirited comments thrown my way simply because I'm setting out my views of eBay and trying to bring to light some criticisms of its issues, or because I point out differences in opinion.  I won't in any case dignify those posts with a reply.  

I'll reply to those that were courteous and reasonable, and I will say honestly if I have different views, whether or not I'm gang-jumped for them.  I choose not to be intimidated and gagged by bullying.  

Message 174 of 238
latest reply

But regardless of how many similar items are on ebay, that shouldn't affect the search just within her (gifts) own items.

Message 175 of 238
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But regardless of how many similar items are on ebay, that shouldn't affect the search just within her (gifts) own items.

You're right.

That was my first thought  as well, but maybe ..............

If the same search engine drives the search within one's own items as on the whole of eBay it might be.

Same search engine being pushed to the limit = Same glitch.

Message 176 of 238
latest reply

I agree that search has been 'off' in some ways for a while now and they seem to be doing some 'tweaking' to it in the last few months that makes it seem more bizarre. I've never noticed a search problem before when searching just one sellers listings...that is something new for me.

I have to assume that they've done some research about how people search for items so perhaps I am the odd one out and tend to search differently.  But sometimes I wonder if the search function has had so many tweaks that it has a mind of its own and isn't doing what it was set up to do.   I really don't know. Obviously people are finding what they want because sales overall have not gone down but I don't really understand why search does or doesn't do things a certain way.

I haven't been on Amazon that much but to be honest...the last time that I was searching for something on there, it reminded me of the way ebay's search engine seems to be headed. 

Message 177 of 238
latest reply

Perhaps it's time for a re-read.

Message 178 of 238
latest reply

Perhaps a reality check, might be in order.

Message 179 of 238
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I thought people here were colleagues of a sort, perhaps I was wrong to believe so.  I must say the insults, sarcasm, patronizing, snide and snarky remarks here haven't originated with me.  

Winning friends and influencing people isn't done very effectively by such means, which have sadly become a habit with some of the more frequent posters on these boards.  There is often a real undercurrent of sarcasm and denigration from certain corners that must look very ugly and unpleasant from the outside.  I always wonder how many newcomers that sort of negative, sniping attitude must scare off from participating.  Frankly, if I were new, I'd be intimidated too.  

I hardly know how to respond to some of the unnecessarily mean-spirited comments thrown my way simply because I'm setting out my views of eBay and trying to bring to light some criticisms of its issues, or because I point out differences in opinion.  I won't in any case dignify those posts with a reply.  

I'll reply to those that were courteous and reasonable, and I will say honestly if I have different views, whether or not I'm gang-jumped for them.  I choose not to be intimidated and gagged by bullying.  

When I first started selling on eBay, I was eager to learn as much as possible.  I read everything I could get my hands on and, then, ultimately, I found this Board.  I thought, great, another learning opportunity.

There were two individuals, in particular, who were very rude and denigrating.  I quickly found that I was not going to subject myself to that criticism by asking a question or two.  It was several years before I came back.  And I wouldn't blame newcomers for being reluctant to make enquiries.

Message 180 of 238
latest reply