- SCAM Alert???

I got a weird email after - number something - bought some shoes. I googled them and found it is a scam - I have no intentions of providing a tracking # - so I want to refund and cancel. Any problems associated with that????? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

- SCAM Alert???

Refund and you will get a defect. Send a cancel request? And if they refuse? The only cancel choices, now, are either you are out of stock, or, buyer and seller agree.

Why is this a scam?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

Apparently the buyer is a well-known Korean scammer who has things sent to someplace in CA - he buys stuff and then waits to see if he can sell it for a markup in Korea then goes ahead & pays.

This guy will claim he hasn't rec'd the item - and I have no intention of using tracking for a cheap item. This buyer has been reported again and again to ebay - he buys hundreds  if not thousands of items a month - but ebay does nothing. I'm going to block him. I going to tell him I can't find them - actually this wouldn't be far from the truth - honestly it happens to me a few times a year, there's a couple of items I can't find right now as we speak - items stored in wrong containers etc.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

@ziadacat wrote:

I'm going to block him. I going to tell him I can't find them - actually this wouldn't be far from the truth - honestly it happens to me a few times a year, there's a couple of items I can't find right now as we speak - items stored in wrong containers etc.

While I understand your concern about this buyer, doing this will get you an automatic defect.  If your seller rating can handle it, then it's the easiest thing to do.  But I would also report the buyer to eBay and see if you can get anywhere with that.  Provide whatever information you've found about this buyer.  It may even help in getting the defect removed eventually. 

Of course, you have two other choices: 

1) Cancel, but use the "Buyer and I disagreed over terms" (i.e. tracking) or "Other", and see if you manage to avoid the defect that way; 

2) Pay for the tracking yourself (with signature confirmation) and catch him at his own game.  You'll only be doing other sellers a favour by possibly removing a problem buyer, and you won't get a defect, but you'll be out a few dollars to avoid the defect.  

In the end, it really depends on how important it is to you to avoid a defect. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

Thank you for your reply.

I have no idea what a 'defect' is and was not aware there was a system in place that penalizes sellers for cancelling purchases - I do this quite frequently. I find stains, can't find things, threw things away and relisted them by mistake. Right now, I have 2 items sold that I don't have anymore! But I cancel these mutually so I didn't think there was a problem!!

As for tracking, it will cost more money than I'll make so regardless of 'defects' I'm going to pass on that!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

You know for a fact it is a scammer and not a freight forwarder?

Photobucket
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

We have been hit by this buyer in the past. We know exactly who you are talking about. Another thing he does is claim you sent him an empty box so the tracking will not help anyways.

Ebay does nothing about it and he gets away with it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

I would be interested to know if the buyer keeps the same id or keeps switching to new ids (you can't post the id, I would just like to know if it is a different id each time). I've identified two "groups" in China doing same/similar thing in my (stamps) world on an annual basis. In my experience they show up with a different id and sometimes name(s) each year. I of course each time, report them and the various names/ids they used each time previous, and the latest ID is already or later NARUd but they're back again the next year.....I can understand the process not catching them when they have a different name and slightly different address, but one uses the same name and address each time, just a different id.....the process should catch those situations.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

Absolutely. I googled the buyer's name and lo and behold tons of posts came up - most mentioning "Chargebacks" which honestly I have no idea what that means but it sounds bad!!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

- SCAM Alert???

Thank you maximus - I feel validated now...LOL! I'm writing this scammer in a few moments - frankly I don't care what he does but he's not getting the item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply