Safe to ship to this "reshipper" with 151,000 Feedback?

xprog1
Community Member

I sold a phone and to my surprise the buyer had huge 100% feedback.

After googling it seems he might be a Russian reshipper. What are the issues dealing with these sellers. I don't want any chargebacks in 6 months from now.

The item in question is an iPhone which is a high theft item to begin with. 

Item # 191296058235

Any advice?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Your listing states shipping to USA and Canada only and your exclusions include all other countries of the world.

Your buyer is located in the USA.

As long as you ship to the PayPal registered address in the USA, I do not see why you should care what happens to your item after the sale is completed.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

This buyer has purchased from me (through my store ID) a number of times over the past couple years..  Never a hint of a problem.  Don't go looking for trouble where there is none!!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I have shipped many an item to Miami and Port Richie and other south Florida destinations. Every single one was to a freight forwarder. I don't think I have ever knowingly sold an item to Miami although I have shipped there dozens of times.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

A simple google search will tell you what is up with these buyers. They go by other names as well. They have been on my blocked list for a while. The same user name but with different numbers instead of 4 as well.

What they did to us is not pay so we open a item not payed case. They promptly pay it. Their strategy is to get you to waste case on that then you cannot open another case against them. When the item arrives they claim you sent an empty box. Ebay gives them their money back, you get a defect and loose the money as well as shipping and they have the item for free to send abroad and get payed for it.

Tracking and signature will not help you on this one.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I've dealt with them and didn't have a problem.

Buyer protection is void once a package is forwarded from the address you shipped it to. So if you send an item to a Florida reshipper and they send it to a buyer in Russia who then puts in a claim for not as described, you shouldn't be held responsible as it was the forwarder to shipped it to Russia,not you.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

What did you google search exactly what term. I searched their username and found nothing really.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Reshipping is very common and usually very safe.

The fact that the buyer has 151,000 successful transactions is reasonable proof of that.

The business exists because US sellers are paranoid and xenophobic about selling overseas. We first saw reshippers from Japan, a nation known for its honesty.

The practice spread to South Korea and now to Russia.

Actually, from one point of view, the entire Global Shipping Program is based on reshippers' success. << ducks behind asbestos and steel shield>>

If you are really concerned, use a Confirmed Delivery service like ExpressPost.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

My main concern is that they will say I shipped at empty box when the end buyer receives it.

There is no protection against that since Paypal will say an empty box means "Not As Described".

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"The fact that the buyer has 151,000 successful transactions is reasonable proof of that."

That means nothing since a buyer can not receive a negative. They only buy and not sell with the account to make it look good.

To the OP: By all means pay to ship them the phone for free. It is your item and you can give it away if you want.

***We are certainly not recommending that you give them a free item like the $300 camera we did.***

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@xprog1 wrote:

My main concern is that they will say I shipped at empty box when the end buyer receives it.

There is no protection against that since Paypal will say an empty box means "Not As Described".

Your liability is supposed to end once it reaches the address that you shipped to as long as you have delivery confirmation.  If the buyer then receives it in another country and says the box is empty then it is their reshippers responsibility because they shipped them the item..you only shipped it to the reshipper. (hope that makes sense)

But......This is how it is supposed to work as ebay rules do state that you are not responsible for forwarded packages. I'm not sure how you would prove that it was forwarded though.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

So what would be the way to get out of this since the buyer already paid me?

Send a refund and ask for ebay fees back?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I use reshippers to buy a lot of things from Japan (many websites in Japan only ships domestically, same goes for individual sellers on Yahoo Japan Auction) and I never had any major problem. I *had* received books from the reshipper that was a bit damaged because the initial seller on Yahoo did poor packaging but I simply let it go because debating with the reshipper/seller is too troublesome (due to language barrier), and well the book is still readable... so I don't think the OP needs to be too paranoid about selling to reshippers. Most international buyers are just glad to be able to buy the item rather than trying to scam somebody. There are better ways to scam somebody instead of going through all these trouble lol.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

They only buy and not sell with the account to make it look good.

151,000 times?

That's one hundred and fiftyone thousand transactions to scam a seller out of a used phone.

Seems an uneconomical use of the re-shipper's time. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply